View Full Version : Best Meat you've Ever Tasted

Omid
06-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I really like lamb. and chicken.

What about you?

Outdoor food would probably be deer.

Pict
06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Of wild game it would have to be the Paca (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paca). Mac

Jericho117
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Pheasent, Venison, and Buffalo meat makes good hamburgers. Tried that all at cabelas. The best outdoor food I kill is probably Ruffed grouse or Turtle

Omid
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
buffalo burgers are good!

Beo
06-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Venison and then rattlesnake.

hunter82
06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
venison, when it is cooked properly

Beo
06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Omid thought you'd like horse meat:D

Omid
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Omid thought you'd like horse meat:D

i've never tried it...

Beo
06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Never mind I screwd up.

Ameriborn
06-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Deer Tenderloin. Then would be either yellow Perch or maybe a home killed Turkey.

Sourdough
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I really like lamb. and chicken.

What about you?

Outdoor food would probably be deer.

So you keep chickens and lambs in the house.......?????:p

crashdive123
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Beef - can't remember which cut, but it came from Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

trax
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Caribou 5678

grundle
06-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Caribou 5678

Same Here asdfasfas

dragonjimm
06-10-2008, 04:56 PM
beef, was a he-man portion of prime rib sauteed in something spicy with mushrooms and homemade black bread. got it from a steak house in texas around ft hood ,the waitress even brought this nice little flower arrangement and set on the table she called it a sal ad.
worse piece i ever tried to eat was moose some one did on the grill. i dont think moose is supposed to taste like tire tread dipped in antifreeze. yech.

BraggSurvivor
06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
My 32 hour smoked beef brisket cut from my best steer. Un-frick-en-believ-able!!!!

End of July wont come soon enough!

DOGMAN
06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I really like Bighorn Sheep- to me its the best wild game.
A nice rare Elk steak is darn fine as well.
But, a Kobe beef filet is like a sore peter- tough to beat.

BraggSurvivor
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
I really like Bighorn Sheep- to me its the best wild game.
A nice rare Elk steak is darn fine as well.
But, a Kobe beef filet is like a sore peter- tough to beat.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Rick
06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Actually, I'm vegetarian. Well, I do eat some fish.....and chicken.....oh, and pork.....and beef.....squirrel....rabbit....actually, I'm not that strict of a vegetarian.

Sourdough
06-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Your more of a Twinkie'tarian......

RBB
06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
After not eating for a week, I once killed a muskrat by throwing a stick and hitting it on the head. I can state, unequivocally, that muskrat is the best tasting meat on earth - if you've had nothing to eat for a week.

Leon
06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Italian Wild Boar - it is delicious. It also makes a fantastic cured meat, i love boar - i would rate it above venison.

klkak
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I really like grilled Dall sheep. But the best in my opinion is a grilled Angus ribeye.

Tony uk
06-11-2008, 01:21 PM
BBQd Angus steak, Food of the gods !

Beo
06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Tony I thought you'd say Haggis for sure.

Gray Wolf
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I think more people would like Haggis, if they didn't know what it was made from.

Rick
06-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Even pumpkins hate haggis!

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/puking_pumpkin.gif

Gray Wolf
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
You might like this:
Baked Onions with Vegetarian Haggis
6 medium unpeeled onions, trimmed
50g sunflower margarine
50g organic rolled oats
50g pinhead oatmeal
50g chopped mixed nuts
1 onion, finely chopped
100g mushrooms, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
200g can red kidney beans, drained and chopped
50g vegetable suet
1 teaspoon yeast extract
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tbs. chopped mixed fresh herbs
pinch of grated nutmeg or allspice
juice of 1 lime
1 tbs. whiskey
seasoning
chopped fresh chives and parsley, to garnish

Cut a slither from the bottom of each of the onions, so that they stand upright. Cut a cross in the top about three quarters of the way down. Place in a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, drain and refresh under cold water.

Preheat the oven to 375F. To make the haggis, melt the margarine in a pan and add the oats, oatmeal and nuts. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring, for about 3 minutes until toasted and golden. Transfer to a bowl.

Melt remaining margarine, add the onion, mushrooms and carrot and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened. Stir into the toasted oat mixture with the remaining haggis ingredients. Season.

Snip out the center of the onions with kitchen scissors, leaving the skin and 3-4 outer layers intact. Stuff with haggis and bake for 40 minutes.

Serves 6.

Rick
06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Okay. I can do that. Easy Peasy.

zaebra
06-11-2008, 03:39 PM
moose is awesome, and nothing tops emu meat. buffalo is pretty good, too.

Gray Wolf
06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Remember ONLY 1 tbs. whiskey Rick :D

Ole WV Coot
06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
STEAK, rare, medium or well done. Prime rib NO veggies.

Beo
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Actually the best meat I've ever was free :D

Gray Wolf
06-11-2008, 09:34 PM
A barbecued 2" thick New York Strip, rare, very very rare.

DOGMAN
06-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Speaking of WOLF
Have any of you ever eaten Wolf or Dog?
I know the Lewis and Clark expedition preferred it to Salmon
It is common to eat it in some other countries.
I can't imagine it tastes like chicken

Tony uk
06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Tony I thought you'd say Haggis for sure.

Haggis is great, I love the stuff, But the best single thing i have ever tasted is a BBQd steak, From an irish restaurant Mmmmmmmmmm

The guiness that i had with it made it all the beter :D

Irish Stew is another Food of the Gods :)

Beo
06-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I ate dog when in Korea, it is a delicacie over there, and not to bad.
Yes Tony I agree Irish Stew is delious, my favorite food actually.

Gray Wolf
06-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Tony I agree Irish Stew is delicious, my favorite food actually.

Whats in it?

Tony uk
06-12-2008, 01:11 PM
"
Irish Stew History

Irish stew is a filling, flavorful peasant dish made with the cheapest, most readily-available ingredients. The Irish raised primarily sheep and root crops for subsistence. The sheep provided wool for warm clothing, milk for drinking and making cheese, and eventually food. Potatoes were the main food crop, prior to the potato famine.

Irish stew, "ballymaloe" or "stobhach gaelach" as it is called in Gaelic, is traditionally made of lamb (http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodstorage/a/lambstorage.htm) or mutton (http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqmutton.htm) (less tender sheep over two years of age), potatoes (http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodstorage/a/yukongoldstore.htm), onions, and parsley. Often, lamb or mutton neckbones, shanks, and other trimmings were the only basis for the stock. Yet, these would-be discards still held enough flavor after a long simmering process to do justice to a hearty bowl of stew.

The root vegetables added further flavor and thickening power, as well as filling sustenance. Some cooks added turnips or parsnips (http://homecooking.about.com/cs/vegetables/a/parsnip.htm), carrots, and barley (http://homecooking.about.com/cs/vegetables/a/barley.htm) when available. "

Its basicaly Stew, made with the ingredients mentioned above, There are lots of variations from place to place but some ingredients are kept similer, More often however i see them add Giness to it, Giveing it a richer taste Mmmmmmmm

Rick
06-12-2008, 02:06 PM
I always make it with stew beef, potatoes, carrots and onions. A side of cornbread and a tall, cold glass of milk or iced tea. It's hard to find a better meal than that on a cold day!!

Gray Wolf
06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Its basicaly Stew, made with the ingredients mentioned.

So it's beef stew only made with lamb.

Here in the states lamb is to expensive to waste in a stew. And the New Zealand lamb that's imported is less expensive, but has very little taste. I love lamb.

Tony uk
06-12-2008, 07:00 PM
So it's beef stew only made with lamb.

Here in the states lamb is to expensive to waste in a stew. And the New Zealand lamb that's imported is less expensive, but has very little taste. I love lamb.

Sort of, But way more tastey :)

Alpine_Sapper
06-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I ate dog when in Korea, it is a delicacie over there, and not to bad.
Yes Tony I agree Irish Stew is delious, my favorite food actually.

Kegogi is good. Greasy but good.

crashdive123
06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Kegogi is good. Greasy but good.

Didn't find it too greasy. Not one of my favorites, but with enough soju anything tastes good.

NS0201
06-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Deer suasage or steak? or maybe duck...

Rick
06-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Duck? man that's nothing but wings, grease and a tiny bit of meat. Mostly grease. Yuck!

NS0201
06-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Yea but it's a whole lot of tender for a little bit of meat. It makes a good snack wrap in jalapeno's. Hmmmmmm yum!!!!

FVR
06-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Man, a good piece of smoked wild hog, you can't beat that. Smoked just right, hmmmmmmm...................

You can keep them thar domestic piggy's. I smoke'm just like the wild hogs, no comparisson.

wildWoman
06-17-2008, 03:10 PM
ahem...I'm afraid the best meat IMO would be of the critter in your avatar, Omid...I really love mountain goat meat. With any luck, we'll get some late this summer.

Sourdough
06-17-2008, 03:34 PM
ahem...I'm afraid the best meat IMO would be of the critter in your avatar, Omid...I really love mountain goat meat. With any luck, we'll get some late this summer.

Ditto: Mountain Goat is way out in front the finest meat. The trick is don't smear oil from the glands, or lanolin from the hair, on the meat. As soon as someone starts complaining about Mountain Goat meat, I know he did not handle it properly in the field.

Jeffersonpaine
06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
The best meat i have ever had Is Kansas city bbq ribs, OF COURSE. Oh god, now i have to go get some ribs, mmmmmmmm.....

Gray Wolf
06-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Mountain Goat is way out in front the finest meat.

What cut do you enjoy the most? (besides for the first one...)

Sourdough
06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Grey Wolf, The back strap and tenderloin, followed by any part of the hind quarter, slow roasted with lots of garlic.

trax
06-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Mountain goat is one I've never had the opportunity to try, would love too. Rick, roast a duck on a campfire, man, you're living. Something else about ducks too, getting away from the meat department for a moment, yummy eggs.

Rick
06-19-2008, 01:23 PM
That might be true on the eggs and that duck on the campfire sounds good. The grease would drop out. I like the taste but in the oven they are just so greasy.

dragonjimm
06-19-2008, 05:26 PM
place it on a bed of quartered potatoes then bake its how we bake a possum.....sweet potatoes are best

@fvr... nothing finer the a smoked wild ham and bacon....has a different flavor and is less fatty

dragonjimm
06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
i make a baked stew. the recipe calls for lamp and turnips but is just as good with beef and taters

nell67
06-19-2008, 07:54 PM
i make a baked stew. the recipe calls for lamp and turnips but is just as good with beef and taters

Lamp?? hmmm not sure I could stomach that one:eek::D

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Trying to cut back on incandescent and compact fluorescent myself.

nell67
06-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Gotta be a little harsh on the digestion,but I guess if you have to,you have to???

Ridge Wolf
06-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Beef - can't remember which cut, but it came from Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

You mean that restaurant is a chain restaurant???? Of all the !!! Where's my bacon???

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't eat at them too often - they're a bit spendy, but man are they good.
http://www.igougo.com/images/p116715-New_York_City-Ruths_Chris_Steakhouse.jpg

hoosierarcher
06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I have never had wild sheep meat but it is prized in the west. I like all venison(elk, whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn) but like caribou the best. Made a leg of caribou on a rotissuerrie over mesquite charcoal a few years back stuffed with garlic, onions apples and herbs and basted with brandy and butter. Fire was started hot but allowed to cool to about 250 and the leg cooked for 6 hours. It was melt in your mouth fork tender and scrumptuous. I also like Bear and wild boar as long as the boars have a varied diet.
As far as domestic meat dry aged (28 days) prime beef is hard to beat.

Ridge Wolf
06-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't eat at them too often - they're a bit spendy, but man are they good.
http://www.igougo.com/images/p116715-New_York_City-Ruths_Chris_Steakhouse.jpg

There is one across the river here. I thought they were a local joint. Ok, I'll have to check that out.

Weird name for a restaurant.

Sourdough
06-20-2008, 01:24 AM
I have never had wild sheep meat but it is prized in the west.

I've never had Big Horn, but Dall Sheep would be my number two to Mountain Goat. More meat on a Dall than most Goats. Years ago we could harvest Two Dall Sheep, Two Goats, Two Moose, Five Caribou, No limit on Black Bear, No closed season.

If you harvested game in February through May, the meat was called Blue meat, as it had little or no fat. The dogs would eat it and if you were hungry, you would eat it, or you would eat the dog.

sobeit
06-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Elk, deer, squirrel rabbits, coon, goat, or a bone in rib eye cocked red in the center or med. I don’t think I would eat possum or armadillo. Possum because there nasty and armadillo because they are the Texas state mammal.

flandersander
06-20-2008, 11:43 PM
bacon need I say more?

Ole WV Coot
06-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Best steak at Drunken Jack's in Myrtle Beach. All around favorite breakfast. Thick sliced bacon, 2 eggs over easy, biscuits, gravy, jelly, potatoes, black coffee, 3 pecan pancakes , grits. Love that 1/4" bacon.

KingFisher907
06-21-2008, 01:34 PM
I love Mtn Goat, and hopeak is right, proper meat care is key..myself, nothing Ive eaten has come close to DALL SHEEP...theyre just deeee-licious!

Omid
06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
"
Irish Stew History

Irish stew is a filling, flavorful peasant dish made with the cheapest, most readily-available ingredients. The Irish raised primarily sheep and root crops for subsistence. The sheep provided wool for warm clothing, milk for drinking and making cheese, and eventually food. Potatoes were the main food crop, prior to the potato famine.

Irish stew, "ballymaloe" or "stobhach gaelach" as it is called in Gaelic, is traditionally made of lamb (http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodstorage/a/lambstorage.htm) or mutton (http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqmutton.htm) (less tender sheep over two years of age), potatoes (http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodstorage/a/yukongoldstore.htm), onions, and parsley. Often, lamb or mutton neckbones, shanks, and other trimmings were the only basis for the stock. Yet, these would-be discards still held enough flavor after a long simmering process to do justice to a hearty bowl of stew.

The root vegetables added further flavor and thickening power, as well as filling sustenance. Some cooks added turnips or parsnips (http://homecooking.about.com/cs/vegetables/a/parsnip.htm), carrots, and barley (http://homecooking.about.com/cs/vegetables/a/barley.htm) when available. "

Its basicaly Stew, made with the ingredients mentioned above, There are lots of variations from place to place but some ingredients are kept similer, More often however i see them add Giness to it, Giveing it a richer taste Mmmmmmmm

As long as it has lamb I want to eat it!

ryaninmichigan
06-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Elk or King Salmon

TrappinGal
07-09-2008, 11:32 PM
elk is really good.

RobertRogers
07-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Wild raccoon, taken in the fall just before "hybernation", baked with potato, onion, carrots, and basted with the scent glands of a muskrat.

Rick
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Who on earth was the first guy that looked at a roasting raccoon and said, "Hey, wait a minute. I'll bet that would be great basted with a muskrat's scent glands."

There had to be beer involved in that brainstorm.

That's just nasty. Bleck!

Beo
07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I agree Rick. RR that's pretty frig'n gross.
Best meat I ever ate... hmmm can't remember her name... lol jk.

TrappinGal
07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
im a hillbilly and have eaten alot of fried young coon as well as groundhog. not a thing wrong with either, theyre good.

Durtyoleman
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Roast wild hog basted with a mix of pineapple juice, orange juice, and black pekoe tea. Served with a large helping of cornbread stuffing and yams.

D.O.M."

crashdive123
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Roast wild hog basted with a mix of pineapple juice, orange juice, and black pekoe tea. Served with a large helping of cornbread stuffing and yams.

D.O.M."

What time is dinner?

mcgyver
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Now this is an interesting thread.
I was invited to a "wildlife buffet" for dinner one night. Terribly expensive, but they had a very wide variety of meats. All farm raised for the meat. Everything from Bear to Lion to Zebra (I passed on the Zebra). We later called it the Noah's Ark Buffet. I can't say I would ever go back again, but I did learn my favorite animal meat is Kangaroo.
Great tasting stuff!:drool:

Durtyoleman
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
What time is dinner?

Ain't been able to go huntin this year as yet but you bring the hog and I'll get the 55 gallon drum fired up. Oranges are on the tree and got the rest in house...

D.O.M.

aflineman
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I would have to say a nice Elk steak is some of the best eats that I have had.
Next to that, a nicely seasoned prime rib.

klkak
02-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Now this is an interesting thread.
I was invited to a "wildlife buffet" for dinner one night. Terribly expensive, but they had a very wide variety of meats. All farm raised for the meat. Everything from Bear to Lion to Zebra (I passed on the Zebra). We later called it the Noah's Ark Buffet. I can't say I would ever go back again, but I did learn my favorite animal meat is Kangaroo.
Great tasting stuff!:drool:

My Church sponsors a wild game share-a-dish dinner every year. I've eaten meats from all over the world.
I still think that an expertly grilled Angus Ribeye is the best.

Winnie
02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
For me it was Buffalo steak. Simply shown a VERY hot gridle pan and served with salad. MmmmMmmmMmmm.

Camp10
02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
I like so many of them...Grouse didnt get a mention yet here and it is very good. I really like moose steak also. I'm hungry now!

rwc1969
02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Mmm, I like venison. Fresh backstrap sauteed in butter w' a lil onion. Pretty basic, but I could live on it.

Batch
02-10-2010, 09:22 PM
I like my venison as well.

But, what about Wagyu beef.

I find that most things I try cooking myself suck at first. Then someone makes it for me and I learn I was not processing, marinading or cooking it right.

I was talking to my friend at camp and we got to talking about things we don't eat that others do. Gar came up and he went on about how the meat was so white. He said he throws the gar in the coals and lets it heat up. Then he takes "the back strap" out and breads and fries it. Says it is one of the best fresh water fish.

Of the things I have killed myself I would say venison. I have a whole freezer of wild hog. I wouldn't even say it is a contest. But, maybe I just don't know how to cook hog right.

rwc1969
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I've never had gar, but pike from a clean lake can't be beat. Not too many I know like pike.

red lake
02-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Walleye or Buffalo

chiggersngrits
02-13-2010, 11:01 PM
memphis dry rub ribs or fresh fried mullet with grits and brown gravy.

madmantrapper
02-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Moose is great