PDA

View Full Version : My Figure 4 Deadfall trap prototype

KT_Cobra
06-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Okay, so I've never actually made this trap. I wanted to give it a try because it looked like a lot of fun. This is just a practice run with really thin and oblong sticks to see if I could make it happen. It worked. :)

My choice of sticks were somewhat small because I did this at my in-laws' place while I was there for the weekend. They had just cleaned up the lawn/yard. I didn't feel like making the trek to the woods because I was currently on call for the hospital I work at.

The horizontal stick was the hardest to make for some reason. I kept having balancing and notch issues (again, it's my first try). These aren't the best pics but it shows what needs to be seen. It took me about an hour or so to make it while taking my time.

Let me know what you think. Again, it's just more of an extremely downsized prototype, really.
http://www.knights-templar.us/board/download/file.php?id=286
http://www.knights-templar.us/board/download/file.php?id=287
http://www.knights-templar.us/board/download/file.php?id=288

KT_Cobra
06-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh, and the chunks chopped out of the wood was no-doubtedly my little brother-in-law's doing.

Sourdough
06-08-2008, 06:22 PM
It needs two slices of semi-crisp bacon, or a Twinkie on the trigger.....:)

Ken
06-08-2008, 06:26 PM
It needs two slices of semi-crisp bacon, or a Twinkie on the trigger.....:)

Hopeak, you're not deceased anymore? :confused:

crashdive123
06-08-2008, 06:55 PM
KT - I'm no expert with figure 4 deadfalls, but IMO it appears that the log has a bit to far to travel (fall) which could allow the intended prey to escape once the trigger has been fired.

Rick
06-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Gaining an understanding of any outdoor skill is good stuff. The fact that you took the time to make it and it works is a plus in my book. The more you make the better you will become. Deadfalls have been around for a long time and it's one more tool in the brain basket. Good job.

marberry
06-08-2008, 08:18 PM
logs in general (atleast in my experience) are bad for deadfalls because the natural curve of the log provides room for rodents to scurry out of, and , as said by crashdive, its a little high to be catching anything smaller then a chipmunk. good work though , deadfall sets are always hard to make and you did a great job of it.

crashdive123
06-08-2008, 08:23 PM
KT - wasn't meaning to be critical - if that's how it sounded, sorry. The hardest part is setting the trigger, and you did a nice job with that. As you said, it's a prototype for you so I'm sure you will make whatever changes you need to suit your needs. Overall good job.

RobertRogers
06-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah, deadfalls can be tough - you don't want to just bonk the critter on the head and have him go on his way (perhaps with a concussion but does you or him little good).

KT_Cobra
06-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Actually, Crash, I didn't find that you came off critical at all. I need a little bit of the all-around opinion (faults, compliments, suggestions, and especially inspiration). I'm enjoying hearing what you guys have to say about it. Thanks. :)

About the trap, though. I understand now that the sticks have to be shorter, a little thicker and there should be a stone used or a large flatter piece of wood (maybe an oblong piece). I don't know of any stones of good size around that are at least easily accesible to me, though. I guess cement blocks with leaves on top wouldn't be too bad. Maybe a little hard to put the leaves up, but not too bad.

Ridge Wolf
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
KT - I'm no expert with figure 4 deadfalls, but IMO it appears that the log has a bit to far to travel (fall) which could allow the intended prey to escape once the trigger has been fired.

I agree with Crash.. could try a slightly longer log and shallower angle. the Fall log looks like it could fall the other way or off to one side instead of straight down. Also, maybe a little heavier log, at least on the noggin thump end. (raised end).

Peanut butter for bait. :D

Ridge Wolf
06-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Actually, Crash, I didn't find that you came off critical at all. I need a little bit of the all-around opinion (faults, compliments, suggestions, and especially inspiration). I'm enjoying hearing what you guys have to say about it. Thanks. :)

About the trap, though. I understand now that the sticks have to be shorter, a little thicker and there should be a stone used or a large flatter piece of wood (maybe an oblong piece). I don't know of any stones of good size around that are at least easily accesible to me, though. I guess cement blocks with leaves on top wouldn't be too bad. Maybe a little hard to put the leaves up, but not too bad.

Is there any black basalt in your area? Black Basalt is the heaviest rock there is. If you can find a flat piece of it that is half the battle. River rock is also good. flat and long. You can notch (chip a depression in the rock) on the down side for the support on the 4.

crashdive123
06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
One thing you can try if you can't find anything flat is to split the log (of course you have to have something to do that with you). I've seen smaller logs used that had been split with "the other half" lashed to it with bark cordage for sufficient weight.

flandersander
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Or maybe just tie two logs together. Twice as heavy.

Ole WV Coot
06-09-2008, 12:07 AM
No criticism intended but I could maybe give you a couple of pointers if you don't mind. First It's way too high, log is way too small, center support should be squared off where your notch goes, trigger arm is a little long and unless you have a big flat sawed off chunk of a log I would recommend a nice big kinda flat rock maybe the back end on a small rock or stick so it falls level. Don't except to gain any weight with what you catch, my Grandpa showed me how to make them well over 55yrs ago and he told me then they weren't the greatest trap in the world. I hope you catch something, I haven't had enough luck to mention with them.

RCKCRWLER
06-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Nice job on the trigger part. I made one before and it was pretty tricky to get it to work right.

A class at my school was learning about Native Americans in Nevada. I brought in a bunch of sticks and helped them make a pyramid trap and the figure 4. Then I took my rabbit, class pet, put a yogurt treat on the end of the trigger stick, formed a circle of kids on the carpet and waited for him to set the trap. Within a few minutes he found the treat and was trapped. It was pretty cool and the kids loved it. I think we trapped him about four times before he figured out what was up.

crashdive123
06-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Thought for a minute there you were going to use a deadfall on your pet rabbit.:eek::eek:

Rick
06-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I had this vision of a sail rabbit under the rock and little kids screaming and crying as they run from the class room.

Beo
06-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Now that would have been funny: "Hey kids this is what happens to bugs bunny when he goes under my figure4 dead fall:D

Rick
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Then you'd have parents calling the school and psychologists would have to be brought in. Then the next thing you know, the end of a holiday....

http://dbtitle.com/easterbunny.jpg

RCKCRWLER
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
:D:D:eek: Ya, that probably wouldn't have gone over too well with the parents or administration. If it did happen I would have been able to show them how to gut a rabbit without a knife.;)

Sarge47
06-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Now that would have been funny: "Hey kids this is what happens to bugs bunny when he goes under my figure4 dead fall:D
Glad to have you back, Beu, this place hasn't been the same without your own personal touch.:D Look out Rick, Ken has reinforcements!:D

Beo
06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Rick shimk... twinkie boy is okay in my book but every once in while I gotta get him going, thats my job here... senior pot stir'er :D

KT_Cobra
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Beowulf's the pot stir'er, but who's the fire under the pot?

By the way, I'll try the Figure 4 Deadfall trap again this weekend. I'll see if I can improve it any. I'll be taking y'all's advice/pointers to make it better. Also if I have time (a.k.a. patience), I'll try a different trap and take pictures of that too for more criticism. lol Thanks :D

bulrush
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Good job KT. But did you catch anything with it? I have yet to see a video of a deadfall actually catch anything. So I have to remain skeptical.

Rick
06-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Just be aware. Animals often set deadfall traps for human. It's a little know fact but it's true. Science has yet to figure the purpose of setting the traps but men feel compelled to crawl under and check things out. Often proving deadly.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.akers/images/Trial%20fit.jpg

KT_Cobra
06-09-2008, 04:47 PM
LOL!!! Good one, Rick.

Actually, Rush, I didn't try to use it on anything. I really just wanted to practice making it. To see the faults in my design, get some tips on how to improve it, but mainly overall to see if I can get one to work. I don't ever plan on trying to actually capture anything with this type of trap - that is until I go camping again. I really just want to practice the BUILDING of the trap to make sure I know how to make it in the field if necessary. After all, it seems like there are a large amount of people getting stuck in a survival situation who think they'll never need to know anything like this. It's Newton's Law, but I'm not complaining. :)

P.S. - Rick, what the hell's a Mitsubishi Legnum?

Ken
06-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Then you'd have parents calling the school and psychologists would have to be brought in. Then the next thing you know, the end of a holiday....

http://dbtitle.com/easterbunny.jpg

Several young children in the room when photo of dead bunny appeared on screen. :eek: All emotionally traumatized by event. :mad: Each now looking at a lifetime of counselling.

Hmmmm. No "Explicit Photograph Warning" -- Forum is supposed to be "child-friendly" -- to make matters worse, pic was posted by a person of authority :p A SUPER MODERATOR -- pic was posted on internet with full knowledge that it would be viewed interstate, so Mass courts have jurisdiction and Mass law applies....

(Looks up names of sheriffs who serve interstate process in central Indiana.)

crashdive123
06-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Good job KT. But did you catch anything with it? I have yet to see a video of a deadfall actually catch anything. So I have to remain skeptical.

I hear they work pretty good on pet rabbits.:D

Jericho117
06-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I use the Paiute Deadfall, extremely sensitive trap trigger mechanism. Downside is you need cordage. You know those spring-leg baited traps that are shaped like an "X" (not the modern metal ones, homemade wood ones)? They are suppost to be for trapping Deer and big game animals, but I make hair-thin sensitive ones that I have caught Racoons with. but you also need cordage with that one. Iv'e never been successful with the figure-four, but I guess it's a last resort if you have no cordage to make. Hey but widen the weight on that trap, the animal will most likely escape. You want a weight that isn't to heavy to crush the prey and ruin meat or a too light of a weight that doesn't kill the animal and makes it suffer.

Gray Wolf
06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
This link might help:

http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/traps/paiute/paiute01.html

KT_Cobra
06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks, Wolf. That'll help me when I try that one. :D

By the way, just for grammar's sake, how is that pronounced?

Pie-oo-tay?

Rick
06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Pi Yoot (long i)

Jay
06-15-2008, 10:30 AM
KT. Good job on the trap. you might want to consider a few more things. as said by the others ...longer log, shallower angle (less distance to drop) A larger stone or other weight tied to the top portion of the log, Two long straight stakes on either side of the log to guide the fall. (I've used it and it works.) If you use it in the wild, youll be setting it cross wise or lengthwise on an animal trail or run. Lenghtwise is has been more successful for me. also block the sides of the trail with a sort of fence of sticks or brush starting a couple of feet a way from the trap .it should continue along the sides of the trap too. this will help to funnel the animal in and prevent a sideways jump. hope this helps
Keep practicing and good luck.
j

KT_Cobra
06-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was going to try and build another one this past weekend but it rained and everything got extremely wet.

RCKCRWLER
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
I hear they work pretty good on pet rabbits.:D

:D:D Being grain fed he would have been good eating too . I think the kids would have wondered where he was Monday morning.:(

snakeman
06-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Nice trap cobra. They are hard to balance. I dont even notch the diagonal stick if the notches on the other sticks are good. Ive tried to catch mice in them but have been unsuccessful.

snakeman
06-29-2008, 09:17 PM
nice trap cobra. they are hard to balance. I dont even notch the diagonal stick if the notches on the other sticks are good. I try to catch mice in them.

crashdive123
06-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Deja vu all over again.