PDA

View Full Version : food your thoughts

wareagle69
06-08-2008, 10:05 AM
last year we had some dicussion on this topic remy (volwest) had a nice dissertation on the psycological relationship with food but then he took his marbles and went home so maybe he'll do it again.
my teacher allan beauchamp asked me to think about what is most important to me what skills i would like to focus on, and maybe aragantly i said i can build a shelter and start a fire and find water but food is a priority for me.
just look at all my books on wild edibles and the amount of bush time and schools i go to to learn them and also how much food i stockpile now i am as documented 6ft 4 inches and around 230lbs and while losing 15 lbs would not hurt i am not over weight i work out and have a pysical job but it takes allot of fuel to keep this fire burning.
so where do you stand here? i think food will be the primary reason for any violence that happens people will panic, i don't see the same happening for shelter or heat(unless winter) but there are always ways to stay warm just torch the empty house next door, water will be an issue in the drought areas but i still see food as the number on reason people will panic...

KT_Cobra
06-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I think I have to agree with you on that. I've never heard of anyone physically fighting or nearly killing each other because of the temperature (hot or cold). I say physically fighting because the heat can be such an annoyance that people start to get really agitated at the slightest thing someone else says or does.
On the subject of thirst, I think thirst is more physically draining in a way so that all individuals in a survivals situation are just too exhausted to even speak, much less argue or fight.
Food tends to come on slowly and, of course, gets worse over time. It leaves an uncomfortable, weak feeling which can agitate even the strongest of survivalists and just gets worse as time progresses.

Rick
06-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I think I'll safely go with Maslow on this. The physiological needs first. I think if anyone is deprived of the any of those for long they will place that need at the top of their list. All things being equal I guess water then food.

wareagle69
06-08-2008, 10:54 AM
i agrre rick( i hate to say that by the way) but water is not an issue up here there are thousands of lakes i have two srings on my property and some close by these are not of any concern for me, long term it is food..

KT_Cobra
06-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Water is the most important, but I will have to go with the lack of food as being the reason for violence in a survival situation.

Usually when someone's starving in the wild, they're finding food but not much at a time to regenerate the body's need. It's a slow progression downhill for the mental and physical being of the human body.

Rick
06-08-2008, 10:58 AM
They just don't know what to eat. The food is there, they just don't know it. One of the reasons WE reads so much about food, I'll bet and one of the reasons I study it as well. Insects as well as wild edibles will keep you going for a long time.

wareagle69
06-08-2008, 11:09 AM
you don't need much food i think we overeat anyways, we have this resturant in town called the dragon fly i love to eat there but portions are huge and of course you feel obligated to eat the whole plate part of my problem and i blame this on the army is that i shovel food in a quicley as possible full before i feel it so i just eat fast hard habbit to break(this is where remy usually pipes in)

Sourdough
06-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Wareagle, Anchorage, Ak. has a lot of homeless camps in town. They kill each other, over booze, cigarettes, sex (Rape), or some small item stolen from them.

But to be fair, they do get free food. Your question: What would be the number one reason to drive humans to panic...? If you had what, their MIND convinced their body they needed to stay alive.

#1 drugs, booze

#2 money, or anything trade-able for drugs, booze. (Sex=money)

I find it interesting, that when I bring up the subject of SHTF, and how hard life could be like, almost everyone Say's, O' I'll just go ahead and die, who would want to live like that. But, humans will fight to stay alive to the last second. When the rubber meets the road, very few humans self-abort for physical reason.

KT_Cobra
06-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I tell my wife that a lot, Hopeak. She walks into the room when Les or Bear is eating something nasty-looking and she says, and in her mind is serious, "Nope! I would just die first." I have to explain to her that the human mind will convince the body that nearly anything is edible when it's deprived enough.

Sourdough
06-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I tell my wife that a lot, Hopeak. She walks into the room when Les or Bear is eating something nasty-looking and she says, and in her mind is serious, "Nope! I would just die first." I have to explain to her that the human mind will convince the body that nearly anything is edible when it's deprived enough.

Along the same line: When the bar is closing, even the ugly women look good.

Or when you live here even the Moose Cows look good....:eek::eek::eek:

dragonjimm
06-08-2008, 11:49 AM
i would agree that every ones better behaved on a full stomach.
even now people have what are considered comfort foods. that is foods that they want when they are sick or depressed.

Sourdough
06-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Wareagle, Turn the question around, what would you attack someone for....? Well maybe you would be a bad example, you seem to attack everything, and averyone.

You are an aggressive human animal, What would you attack someone for. Would you attack in blind rage, would consider there size, would you plan the attack, wait till dark, wait till they are off guard. We are all animals, you are just a larger, much more skilled, and dangerous animal, and proud of it, as you should be. I don't know any men who wish they were small, weak, sickly, unskilled.

Have you ever read: "The Monarch of Deadman Bay" by Woodward (I think)

Sam Reeves
06-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Ammo and barter goods would probably cause people to go on raiding parties like a bunch of wild Injuns. Some people have issues controlling their libidos in a normal society so I would imagine they would be even worse in a crappy situation.

Sourdough
06-08-2008, 12:51 PM
One thing you can go to the bank on is: This sourdough ain't raiding the Wareagle Bunker/Compound. I'll wait till Rick is tending the garden, and snitch a Twinkie.

Alpine_Sapper
06-08-2008, 01:04 PM
If you had what, their MIND convinced their body they needed to stay alive.

#1 drugs, booze

#2 money, or anything trade-able for drugs, booze. (Sex=money)

Um, a lot of peoples BODIES will tell them that they need drugs and booze, not their MINDS. I'm not sure how much experience you have with heroine withdrawals, but that's anything but a mental problem at that point. sure, it probably started out that way, but after time the body becomes dependant on it moreso than the mind.

Alpine_Sapper
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Nice post, Remy. Definitely food for thought.

Sourdough
06-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Um, a lot of peoples BODIES will tell them that they need drugs and booze, not their MINDS. I'm not sure how much experience you have with heroine withdrawals, but that's anything but a mental problem at that point. sure, it probably started out that way, but after time the body becomes dependant on it moreso than the mind.

My only addict experience has been with Coffee & Vanilla flavored Creamer. If Wareagle touches my Vanilla Flavored Creamed, well, the jury will understand....:eek:

wareagle69
06-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Wareagle, Turn the question around, what would you attack someone for....? Well maybe you would be a bad example, you seem to attack everything, and averyone.

You are an aggressive human animal, What would you attack someone for. Would you attack in blind rage, would consider there size, would you plan the attack, wait till dark, wait till they are off guard. We are all animals, you are just a larger, much more skilled, and dangerous animal, and proud of it, as you should be. I don't know any men who wish they were small, weak, sickly, unskilled.

Have you ever read: "The Monarch of Deadman Bay" by Woodward (I think)

funny thing is i never get mad. i get angry yes but i cannot be frusterated, size means nothing to me,seems like you and bragg like to try and provoke me and thats fine shows me allot about you both, people have called me out on this forum before but as i see it i am the only one trying to host a gathering, if you show you will see if i am for real or just a bragg ert.

remy thanks for that my freind i knew i could count on you, i always enjoy your posts and indepth insights into some here....

BraggSurvivor
06-08-2008, 09:26 PM
funny thing is i never get mad. i get angry yes but i cannot be frusterated, size means nothing to me,seems like you and bragg like to try and provoke me and thats fine shows me allot about you both, people have called me out on this forum before but as i see it i am the only one trying to host a gathering, if you show you will see if i am for real or just a bragg ert.

remy thanks for that my freind i knew i could count on you, i always enjoy your posts and indepth insights into some here....

hey why is my name brought up in this i thought we were buddies WE, i have no ill feelings towards you. you are a ranger remember?

where did it all go wrong?

heh heh heh

wareagle69
06-08-2008, 09:28 PM
see there you go thinking again

wildWoman
06-13-2008, 12:17 AM
I think food is really vital and gets underestimated by many people in survival situations. When you're already having some sort of a problem, are stressed out, burning more calories than normal because you're exerting yourself (presumably) in a survival situation - I don't think grazing on fireweed and hoping to snare a rabbit is going to do it, especially if the situation is such that you have to keep moving.
Different people work differently, but I get really antsy and irate when I'm hungry. That can lead to poor decision-making, not what you want to do in a survival situation. I haven't been in a serious pickle yet, but a couple years ago I was on the lake with the motorboat and the motor quit on me (re-inforcing all my prejudices against machinery). It was a lengthy bushwhack of about 13km; that's 13km without trails, climbing over, under and around vegetation and in the end I took a shortcut by swimming a stretch (can't recommended in glacier-fed lakes). All that on just a wimpy granola bar, which was all I had in my emergency supplies. Ever since, I carry full 3-day Ranger rations; at least that way I can tackle the problem on hand with a full stomach and clear head.

crashdive123
06-13-2008, 05:22 AM
Excellent advice WW.

Rick
06-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I can't argue with that. I seldom go anywhere without considering I might be there longer than expected and pack accordingly.

wareagle69
06-13-2008, 07:15 AM
I think food is really vital and gets underestimated by many people in survival situations. When you're already having some sort of a problem, are stressed out, burning more calories than normal because you're exerting yourself (presumably) in a survival situation - I don't think grazing on fireweed and hoping to snare a rabbit is going to do it, especially if the situation is such that you have to keep moving.
Different people work differently, but I get really antsy and irate when I'm hungry. That can lead to poor decision-making, not what you want to do in a survival situation. I haven't been in a serious pickle yet, but a couple years ago I was on the lake with the motorboat and the motor quit on me (re-inforcing all my prejudices against machinery). It was a lengthy bushwhack of about 13km; that's 13km without trails, climbing over, under and around vegetation and in the end I took a shortcut by swimming a stretch (can't recommended in glacier-fed lakes). All that on just a wimpy granola bar, which was all I had in my emergency supplies. Ever since, I carry full 3-day Ranger rations; at least that way I can tackle the problem on hand with a full stomach and clear head.

see my new thread on this WW great post as always young lady.. you bring alot to this forum glad you are here