PDA

View Full Version : SC Wilderness locations

tommy lee jones
07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Looking for a place in South Carolina to practice some survival skills. Dont want to worry about running into day hikers. Hoping to find somewhere in the upstate off the beaten path.

Strider
07-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey, I'm in the north west part of SC. The mountains are a lot of fun if you are experienced. Or, go into the public places of SRS if you know about that... a huge plant that likes the environment and is like a preserve. (Only make sure you stay in the public places) All along the SC NC border are wooded areas all of which have some foot hills trails. There is a major foothills trail that stretches across the entire border, i dunno how long... :) what part are you in?

tommy lee jones
07-30-2007, 08:31 AM
i live in columbia but im looking to go to the upstate,

Strider
07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
I think the most fun area then would probably be in the mountainous areas... :)
I enjoyed it alot... hiking is kinda strenuous for 9 miles a day, but it's fun...

tommy lee jones
07-30-2007, 06:13 PM
yeah im looking to get up into the mountains or foothills but im trying to find some where not so heavily traveled that i would be able to spend about 3 days without seeing anyone else

Strider
07-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Then, what I'd do is probably hike deep into the mountains. I remember a few places that are totally surrounded by mountains, like a bowl, only accessible from a cave or two... most ppl won't be there! (These are kinda hard to find... I only found one in hiking for a week...):)

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
tommy, I lived for several months in Union SC, LOTs of wooded area around there., and not too far from where you are.