PDA

View Full Version : Massive Flooding Hits Indiana

Rick
06-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Torrential rains of 7 to 10 inches have hit Indiana in the last day and much of central and south central Indiana are underwater. Interstates 65 and 70 are both closed because water is over the road as is State road 31. Evacuations have been going on all morning is most towns with some emergency services buildings and hospitals also hit with flooding. The good news, so far no fatalities have been reported. Most of central and south central Indiana remain under a flood warning and/or flash flood warning.

This is one of those SHTF scenarios that makes preparation important and Bug Out Bags essential.

crashdive123
06-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Was watching that on the news today. How are all of you Hoosiers holding up?

nell67
06-07-2008, 04:40 PM
No rain down here as of yet Rick,just occasional thunder throughout the day. Have had a few watches,but not much else.

Oh,but you know what they say about SHTF scenerios,right,it runs downhill,we do have a flash flood watch out,do to the rain YOU recieved.

Rick
06-07-2008, 04:47 PM
They said on the news earlier this may only be equaled by the 1913 floods. Wasn't around then so can't compare. We're up high, about 50 feet or so above the lake so no worries here but from the looks of things in Indy and south several whole towns were flooded. National Guard has been activated.

crashdive123
06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Ken posted a link to an LA County site with some good info. The current situation in Indiana should be a reminder to us all of what can happen ------ that's why our smiling faces and happy fingers are here at WSF. Here's the link to flooding prep from that site. http://lacoa.org/PDF/ESP%2008/Jan.pdf

Ridge Wolf
06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Ooops! didn't know that happened, been busy all day. Hope everything is ok. Rick, I thought you were a lineman for a telephone company, they calling you out for this?

Rick
06-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Flooding is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. In the case of Indiana, many residents woke up to flood waters that were already rising prompting evacuations. The news shows hundreds of vehicles in water window deep. The floods hit before anyone had time to get out.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jW-BndswWuhgPAPXOK4Q6TCQsANQD915DNHO1

Ridge Wolf
06-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Flooding is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. In the case of Indiana, many residents woke up to flood waters that were already rising prompting evacuations. The news shows hundreds of vehicles in water window deep. The floods hit before anyone had time to get out.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jW-BndswWuhgPAPXOK4Q6TCQsANQD915DNHO1

Ok.. not familiar with the area but I'll turn on the news to catch up on what I can... I assume MSNBC or CNN. Good luck all.. specially you Nell.

Rick
06-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Ridge - Years ago. I've done my share of floods and tornadoes, thank you. I'm retired now. Every day is the first day of vacation for me. :D

crashdive123
06-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Here's some more info that is pretty good on preparations for flooding. http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/flood/Before.htm I realize of course, that if you are currently experiencing it, much of this info is not helpful....but some is, such as what to do following the initial flooding.

Everybody stay safe!

Ken
06-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Hope all my Hoosier friends are okay. I'm just catching up with this news now. Caught one of those dern 48 hour bugs :( and I've been out of commission, so to speak.

crashdive123
06-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Eat more onions - they cure all.

Ken
06-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Gatorade. Coke. Tea. Just the thought of food ....... :eek:

wareagle69
06-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Eat more onions - they cure all.

ahem i'm waiting........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................................(cras h scratches his head "what i'd do ").....................................what about the mushrooms and bacon mr.........................go to your room and think about what you've done...............

Ken
06-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Interesting flood protection concept:

http://www.floodbreak.com/

crashdive123
06-07-2008, 06:46 PM
ahem i'm waiting........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................................(cras h scratches his head "what i'd do ").....................................what about the mushrooms and bacon mr.........................go to your room and think about what you've done...............

Nah. Ken's been around long enough to know about mushrooms, bacon, coffee, twinkies, etc. They are a given. the onions are just an addition to the standard staples of remedies.:D

wareagle69
06-07-2008, 06:49 PM
ok i'll let you go on that one then i must have missed the point (boy i'm gonna regret posting that)

crashdive123
06-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks buddy.

http://modernartobsession.blogs.com/modern_art_obsession/images/snoopy_dance.jpg

wareagle69
06-07-2008, 06:58 PM
i was gonna ask for a hug but that seems more fitting..

Sourdough
06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
i was gonna ask for a hug but that seems more fitting..

Does wittle Wareagle need a huggie......."WELL, ALWAYS BE PERPARED" ALWAYS.........:rolleyes:

nell67
06-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Ok.. not familiar with the area but I'll turn on the news to catch up on what I can... I assume MSNBC or CNN. Good luck all.. specially you Nell.
Pretty sure it will be ok down here,the creaks and rivers will probably flood some,but I dont think it will be any major flooding in my area,unless we do get some rain on top of it.

buttercup
06-07-2008, 09:10 PM
roads all around us closed. We live up about 2/3rd's of a mile fon the side of a hill though so won't bother us. Our front porch overlooks a river valley below us that is creeping out into the fields on each side.

crashdive123
06-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Be careful. And look at the bright side. More time to look at the pretty colors in the jars.:D

buttercup
06-08-2008, 10:18 AM
true about me not having to worry about the flood waters but my heart goes out to all the people who do have their homes flooded, things ruined with muddy water, and worried about where to sleep till the water goes down and things are cleaned. Life is rough on those folks right now.

Rick
06-08-2008, 10:43 AM
My father was flooded out 8 or 9 years ago. What a mess. It got inside the house about two feet and the house sits off the ground about four feet. The paneling had to be removed to replace all the insulation in the walls and let it dry out. The furnace and air conditioner had to be replaced. All the appliances. All the carpeting. We even had to jack the house up and replace some of the sil plates because they wouldn't dry out. All plastic dishes and utensils have to be disposed of. It probably took two months to get everything back to normal.

KT_Cobra
06-08-2008, 11:01 AM
We recently had to open a MAJOR spillway (Bonne Carre Spillway) here in south Louisiana because of all of the rain in the central north American region. It was about a month ago that we had to do this. I'm sure there will be even more flow because of it. I hear that the crawfish market is great because of it, though.

You guys take care up there in Indiana and the surrounding regions. God speed.