PDA

View Full Version : Whole Grain Quinoa

Ken
06-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Has anyone tried Whole Grain Quinoa (pronounced "Keen-Wa")?

Quinoa originated in South America. Some classify it as the product of an herb plant rather than as a true grain. I have read the opinion that European conquerors made a great mistake when they returned from South America with corn instead of Quinoa.

Quinoa is described as a supergrain and the most nutritious of all grains. I first read about Quinoa earlier this year and went out and found a 16 oz. bag.

Per the cooking instructions, I first soaked the grain three times for ten minute intervals, changing the water between each soak, to remove its slighty natural bitter taste. Next, I lightly browned it in a frying pan using a little butter. Next, I boiled it just as if it were rice. (Still have to try it in my rice cooker.)

I found it to be delicious. Not like rice, couscous, or wheat, but with a slightly nutty flavor all its own. Great side dish with a pat of butter and salt/pepper. Quinoa can be used in dozens of ways, and countless recipes can be found on the internet.

Quinoa has the appearance of small, light brown seeds that expand like rice when cooked. Although Quinoa keeps best refrigerated or frozen, it is sold on store shelves in cellophane-like bags at room temperature, and it would appear that Quinoa can be stored long-term like other grains. Quinoa may prove a welcome alternative to more common long-term storage grain products.

bulrush
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Due to my food allergy, I eat the Quinoa pasta: spaghetti mostly. It's pretty good and very filling. Never had the whole grain.

Rick
06-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Couscous is just blah! No taste. No flavor. It's just there. Anything would be better than that.

crashdive123
06-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I love cuscous. Mix in a little parmesian cheese, sauteed onions and peppers...yummy.

Ken
06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Couscous is just blah! No taste. No flavor. It's just there. Anything would be better than that.

Almost anything can be improved with bacon fat, hot sauce, and garlic.:D

Rick
06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
In that case, what you wind up with is parmesian cheese, sauteed onions and peppers and blah couscous.:D

crashdive123
06-05-2008, 06:57 PM
It's better than haggis.

Rick
06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Boy! You got me there. True. True.

Pict
06-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Quinoa is good stuff. My wife makes it occasonally like a salad with fresh chopped tomatos, onions, lettuce, and sour cream. My kids eat it which is saying something. I was sceptical at first, it looked just too flaming liberal for me (I'm a bacon and hot sauce guy too). I really like it. It is kind of pricy though. Mac

owl_girl
06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes I love quinoa. Also it is considered whole protein by itself which isnt common in the plant kingdom.