PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Mora field test on fish

Mountaintrekker
06-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I bought some Swedish mora knives a couple of weeks ago. The larger ones with the wood handles for $11.00 ea (carbon blades) and thought I'd bring one when me and the misses went fishing a few days ago. We caught 12 rainbows all between 12 and 18 inches.
Well, I used the mora to clean all 12 and it did quite well, I never sharpened it. I will need to hone up the edge as it was getting a bit difficult on the last fish. I cleaned the knife in the lake and dried it off and put it back in the sheath. I got back home 2 hours or so later and there was some rust starting where water was trapped between the handle and blade. No prob, I used some olive oil and steel wool and it came right out.
Just thought I'd share the experience. If you are thinking of using these, make sure to be extra vigilant with keeping them oiled and clean. The blade did quite well, my fillet knife would probably not needed sharpening as soon, but it is nowhere near a tough and useful as the mora.

dragonjimm
06-05-2008, 01:48 PM
i have several of the moras and for the money the are quite tough i carry a triflex in the truck and have a stainless one hid in TDW's car
my sons first knife was a mora with the finger guard although initially i dulled it a good bit and ground the point off.
I have also given several as gifts to friends and the sons of friends