PDA

View Full Version : $1 bin survival supplies

Chicago Dan
06-05-2008, 02:10 AM
I was at the local Target this past weekend and found several items in the $1bins. Yeah I know, they are all cheapo made in China inferior quality items but I bought a few and while I would not bet my life on them there is a useful side to those cheapo products(at least to me). I have two youngins and now they have some gear just like daddy. Today we were practicing with the whistle and compass without any angst from me that they would destroy any of my "good" stuff. Afterward my one child even put the 5 in 1 whistle in her Sponge Bob backpack along with other essentials of her choosing(coloring book, crayons, juice boxes and snacks). Hey, that’s not too bad for a just turned 4 year old.

Anyhoo, here is a review of what I found:

1. 5 in 1 whistle: looks a whole lot like the link below.
http://www.campingsurvival.com/5in1suraid.html
This item has been discussed before but here is what I found: Cheap plastic, whistle has pea and not really too loud, match safe is OK, compass is liquid dampened but of the style w/o pointer(whole face rotates) but was fairly accurate(+/- 5*), Mirror is really most dubious as it is only 1 inch diameter and recessed making signaling anything outside about a 10* arch of the sun almost impossible, and finally a 1 inch flint striker, well it worked, kind of...lol. Anyway we got more than $2(for 2) value out of them already and they have not even broken yet...:D

2. Match safe w/4 boxes of matches(100 matches total):
http://www.survival-gear.com/watertight-match-box.htm
This item from what I see is identical to the one in the link(which I have).
The bonus is you get 100 little matches along with it for $1. The matches are the small wooden SOB type and I will use them around the house. My daughter having no use for matches, tinder, meds, etc has some candy stored in it...OK we all have different priorities...LOL

3.Emergency Survival Blanket(52" x 84")
Ok we all know what they are. Looks the same as those that sell for several times the price. I suspect that these are even thinner than usual though and if you have any experience with them you know the problems. This we have yet to get to but I suspect it will be destroyed in the demonstration/practice session and I'm OK with that.

There were a few other items:
Small SAK knockoff(looks dangerous to the user):(
First aid kit(usual):rolleyes:
Glow sticks(pair for $1)

I did not buy any of these final few, but if they still have them I may get the glow sticks(if I can’t find better at the local $1 store) as an addition the Sponge Bob pack. :D

In conclusion unless you have kids or want some things to demo with I would probably avoid the lot(except match safe).

dragonjimm
06-05-2008, 06:15 AM
i keep the chem lights on hand for my own kids for power failures ... also when i go camping with the cub scouts we hand em out mainly so we can keep up with the little ones after dark but its an excellent night light for kids who have not been in the woods before.
on night hikes we'll use the chemical necklaces to help with the head count.

I've handed out the 5 in 1 whistle as a door prize at pack meetings the kids get a kick out of em and of course they have to know how to use it all.

Rick
06-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Dan - Nothing wrong with what you've done. Nothing wrong in training your kids and teaching them the value of safety equipment. Good stuff all around. One thing on the whistles. You can purchase good quality whistles for next to nothing. Look for a Howler, Storm or NATO approved whistle. You can pick them up for $3 or less and your kids will have the real deal to carry with them at all times.

FVR posted a thread on loosing his son at an Easter egg hunt. I lost my youngest out in the woods. Fortunately for both of us we found them (Just don't want to explain to your wife how you lost one of her kids. Not good at all) A whistle can literally be a life saver. Attached it as a zipper pull for example.

dragonjimm
06-05-2008, 09:28 AM
i carry a storm whistle and the kids carry uscg approved pealess whistles.
the property we own has a few gently rolling hills so it is easy to lose the kids they know to blow their whistle only when they need help or if i blow mine first their to answer and to head in my direction. my scouts also carry a whistle for the same reason. last spring we were at a camp out with about 500 other scouts and were coming back from a camp fire program which ended well after dark on the way back to our pack area we heard a whistle go off three times then stop. some ones little one had gotten separated and lost in the dark but was quickly found thanks to the whistle.
my oldest carries his own "kit" consisting of belt, canteen, knife,first aid kit,whistle flaslight and binoculars. He also has a cheapie digital camera since he's like me and cant remember to take notes.its interesting the pictures he comes back with.
he's just gotten a small compass which he is learning how to use along with topo maps.

Chicago Dan
06-05-2008, 12:35 PM
You can purchase good quality whistles for next to nothing. Look for a Howler, Storm or NATO approved whistle. You can pick them up for $3 or less and your kids will have the real deal to carry with them at all times.

Your absolutely right Rick and I will graduate them to better/smaller types in the future. I have a couple of the flat $2.99 USCG approved type but another bonus of the $1 5 in 1 is the obnoxious size. My ELDEST just turned 4 so keeping it large, NSC orange and found is really a benefit. Anyway this was just an intro for them and really not with my wife’s full support. She envisions me quickly working them up to knives, pyrotechnics/fire craft, firearms etc. etc….and she’s right…soooo… I do what I can. My enthusiasm to forge ahead and her restraint and moderation will probably work out to a reasonable middle ground. Doubt though if she will ever allow me to get them rifles for their 13th birthdays like my dad did for me…LOL.

Rick
06-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Well, either way, I commend you both for spending time with them and taking the time to teach them outdoor skills. I keep impressing upon my kids that time is worth far more than money. They will always remember the fishing/camping/hiking/hunting trip long after they've forgotten about the bike/Wii/skateboard.

Chicago Dan
06-05-2008, 01:39 PM
They will always remember the fishing/camping/hiking/hunting trip long after they've forgotten about the bike/Wii/skateboard.

How true.
Took my daughter fishing a few weeks ago and she regularly brings it up and wants to go again. I just need to get some time away from remodeling my bathroom to do so.
If it doesn’t rain Sunday should be good.

Rick
06-05-2008, 02:09 PM
The bathroom won't grow up. Little kids do. The bathroom will still be there when you get back from fishing.:D

Chicago Dan
06-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Your absolutely right Rick that’s why I'm going to give it a concerted effort to have my problem(a leak, new wall paper and possible wrath of wife) taken care of Saturday. If all goes well then the whole crew can fish and picnic the next day.

Sam
06-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Your absolutely right Rick and I will graduate them to better/smaller types in the future. I have a couple of the flat $2.99 USCG approved type but another bonus of the $1 5 in 1 is the obnoxious size. My ELDEST just turned 4 so keeping it large, NSC orange and found is really a benefit. Anyway this was just an intro for them and really not with my wife’s full support. She envisions me quickly working them up to knives, pyrotechnics/fire craft, firearms etc. etc….and she’s right…soooo… I do what I can. My enthusiasm to forge ahead and her restraint and moderation will probably work out to a reasonable middle ground. Doubt though if she will ever allow me to get them rifles for their 13th birthdays like my dad did for me…LOL.

13th, why wait so long. lol

Omid
06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
i fount a 99 cent survival knife at walmart.

Beo
06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
And you'll get .99 cents worth out of it.

Ameriborn
06-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I just went to WalMart and saw a knife that was only 3.99. I picked it up to examine it and the blade fell out of the handle. Kind of odd, they could at least make the blade stay in the handle.

crashdive123
06-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Most times they do a little better - they wait until you walk out the door before the blad falls off.