PDA

View Full Version : Ham Radio

Teotwawki
06-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed - nothing comes up when I search which is surprising... (no matter how many words I put in it is saying I don't meet the minimum 4 words search limit - "ham radio advice suggestions").

Thoughts on investing in a good ham radio set for communications if regular communications are down.

Are any of you set up with ham radio?

Think it is worth the time and cost?

crashdive123
06-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Looks like Ken and Dragonjimm have discussing them in another thread.

Rick
06-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Here you go:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3130

Teotwawki
06-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks Rick - that thread is somewhat helpful....

Vika
06-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Yes, I have been a licensed amateur for almost 40 years, since I was 14. I haven't been on the air almost three decades, but I have kept my license active. I am in the process of slowly putting a new station together as part of our emergency preparedness plans. Would it be worth the cost to you? I don't know, but my inner guidance has told me to make this part of our preparations.

If you want more information, I can direct you to a lot of great information sources on the web. One of the best is eham.net There is a ton of information and experts eager to answer questions. Or feel free to PM. Best regards.

Sunshine
06-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm studying for my license now. I want to volunteer some time to ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) and also start setting up some kind of network to be able to assist my family and friends in the event of a national or worldwide disaster.

I think you would benefit from visiting your local ARC and talking with some of the members about their radio setups. I love the local ARC here in Charlotte. They welcome "newbies" and everyone there is more than willing to be my elmer. :) Someone at your local club may even have a radio for sale.

Ken
06-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes, I have been a licensed amateur for almost 40 years, since I was 14. I haven't been on the air almost three decades, but I have kept my license active. I am in the process of slowly putting a new station together as part of our emergency preparedness plans. Would it be worth the cost to you? I don't know, but my inner guidance has told me to make this part of our preparations.

If you want more information, I can direct you to a lot of great information sources on the web. One of the best is eham.net There is a ton of information and experts eager to answer questions. Or feel free to PM. Best regards.

Wish I kept my license active. :o Time to study.