PDA

View Full Version : Homeless in Siberia

LowKey
03-08-2020, 09:58 AM
An interesting picture essay of what it's like to be homeless in Siberia in the winter.
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2020/02/photos-homeless-in-siberia-surviving-the-winter/606757/

Phaedrus
03-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Wow, that's a difficult story to read but well done. It's gotta be one of the tougher places to be homeless. We have a somewhat sizeable population of homeless in Bozeman as well; I've often pondered how difficult it would be since here in Montana winters are no picnic. I donate to our local shelters but I don't know what the solution is. A couple of them are homeless by choice more or less (young folks that couch surf and don't want to be tied down) but others have been left behind by population/economic boom and subsequent gentrification here.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
03-08-2020, 08:02 PM
I'd think Homelessness would be of fairly short duration in Siberia....

Alan

Phaedrus
03-08-2020, 08:47 PM
I imagine it depends on a lot of things.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
03-08-2020, 08:56 PM
I dunno. I've never been to Siberia, probably won't ever go there. I've always thought it'd be a good place to hunt. I imagine it's a lot like Alaska except like 10 times as big. If a person had the tools to begin with they could maybe make it ok, but if they had the tools, they probably would not be homeless in the true sense of the word.

Alan

Plainsman
03-08-2020, 09:43 PM
Homeless people are usually that way because of mental illness, alcohol and/or drug addictions.

furrfox
04-11-2020, 09:57 AM
I dunno. I've never been to Siberia, probably won't ever go there. I've always thought it'd be a good place to hunt. I imagine it's a lot like Alaska except like 10 times as big. If a person had the tools to begin with they could maybe make it ok, but if they had the tools, they probably would not be homeless in the true sense of the word.

Alan

What would they hunt except fish? You'd need to go far away from cities to find wildlife, which is a bad idea at -22F.

oldsoldier
04-12-2020, 10:23 AM
Homeless people are usually that way because of mental illness, alcohol and/or drug addictions.
Not sure where you got that information? But actually economic problems are actually the cause of the majority of homelessness

Alan R McDaniel Jr
04-12-2020, 01:58 PM
What would they hunt except fish? You'd need to go far away from cities to find wildlife, which is a bad idea at -22F.

I'm not talking about them hunting. I'm talking about me hunting.

Alan