PDA

View Full Version : barter scenario

chiggersngrits
06-04-2008, 01:52 AM
O.K, it hit the fan a month ago. since then there have been no public utilities, no t.v. broadcast, only sporadic radio broadcast, no newspapers or internet. best case it will be 6 to 8 months before even basic services are restored to the largest citys much longer for rural areas. with just the supplies you have on hand right now what would you be willing to trade for. or if you have everything you need rank the list in order of importance.
ruger 10/22 and 500 rounds ammo
two 5 gal. jerry cans gas
30 gal barrel drinking water
10 bag rice
12 mre with heaters
midland base camp radio with 2 walky talkys
4 laying hens and 1 rooster
complete military cold weather sleeping bag system
one year old boer goat
oil lamp and 2 gal. lamp oil
20 packs assorted veg. seeds
morgan fairchild:p
remember uncle chiggs trade wagon wont be back around for aleast a month so get it now. please no cash(worthless) credit(please) or canadian bacon(jk) so what you got?

Teotwawki
06-04-2008, 06:04 AM
I'll trade ya my gas guzzling chevy 4x4 pickup for that ruger.

You really need some reliable transportation for your barter business.

Chicago Dan
06-04-2008, 06:06 AM
I'll play along.
I actually like these kind value scenarios.

I'll just rank your list.

1. 30 gal barrel drinking water(really just interested in clean barrel)
2. Ruger 10/22 and 500 rounds ammo
3. 4 laying hens and 1 rooster
4. one year old boer goat
5. 10 bag rice
6. 12 mre with heaters
7. 20 packs assorted veg. seeds
8. midland base camp radio with 2 walky talkys
9. complete military cold weather sleeping bag system
10. oil lamp and 2 gal. lamp oil
11. two 5 gal. jerry cans gas
12. morgan fairchild(sorry got no use for da bimbo)

I'll then leave it at that and let others comment.

nell67
06-04-2008, 06:34 AM
how are you operating the midland?? with no utilities,and no batteries or a generator listed,seems to me like its useless?

Rick
06-04-2008, 06:37 AM
There is nothing on there I need. Dan's rank is as good as any I suppose.

I think the problem with barter or at least trying to stock supplies for barter is that none of us know what will be valuable tomorrow. For example, you have a radio and 2 walkie talkies on the list but if the problem is an EMF burst, from any source, the electronics could be toast. Same for vehicles so the gas does me little good. A radiation problem from any source and your seeds are worthless. See my point?

And I don't know what you are willing to take in trade? I doubt you want that 4X4 truck but....who knows.

From a practical perspective, make certain your personal supplies, those that you will need, are in order. Then if you want to stock barter items I would stock ammo and guns in common calibers. The Ruger 10/22 and 100 rounds of 22 long would be a great item, IMHO. Just don't forget the accessories like an extra magazine.

Teotwawki
06-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Good Barter Goods IMHO:

Liquor, tobacco, salt, coffee, ammo.

Rick
06-04-2008, 06:47 AM
I agree with one reservation. If you are stocked well personally, that means you are rotating your perishables. Now you have to add the coffee and salt to the mix so they don't become stale. That, in effect, reduces your personal stock or extends the rotation schedule of your personal inventory. As for the tobacco, if you don't use it then there is a good chance that you will be throwing it away....assuming nothing happens, of course.

I don't disagree they all would make great barter items. Folks will be more than willing to trade for them. I just thing there is also a down side that needs to be considered and folks shouldn't run out a buy up barter items until their personal stores are in order.

crashdive123
06-04-2008, 06:47 AM
I don't believe that I would NEED anything from your list (but you did say you'd be around next month in case I'm wrong)

Here's your list with comments:

ruger 10/22 and 500 rounds ammo - a good item, but I have no need for it
two 5 gal. jerry cans gas - another good item, may consider for my generators
30 gal barrel drinking water - may consider (for barrel)
10 bag rice - shouldn't need - see me in 6 months
12 mre with heaters - shouldn't need - got any of the meat loaf?
midland base camp radio with 2 walky talkys - no need
4 laying hens and 1 rooster - good item - most probable on the list for me
complete military cold weather sleeping bag system - no thanks - do you want another?
one year old boer goat - another possibility
oil lamp and 2 gal. lamp oil - no need
20 packs assorted veg. seeds - no need
morgan fairchild - no desire

LindyLu
06-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Just gotta jump in here on the coffee. If you store green coffee beans properly, they do not go stale. Just roast em and grind. Use a manual grinder. Better than Starbucks! IMHO
Also, home brewed wine & beer. Takes a little time to age but also very easy & seems to me, both would be great trade items. Most of those skills have been lost...but not by me. I am woman...hear me roar.

Ken
06-04-2008, 09:34 AM
EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) is usually confined to just beyond what is called the "blast radius" of a nuclear detonation. If that's where you and your equipment are, you probably won't be needing it anyway.

However, some nuclear weapons are designed for the primary purpose of creating an enormous EMP. Why? To take out an enemy's electronics and communications resources without completely incinerating other infrastructure and to produce relatively "low" residual radioactive contamination in the area, thereby permitting enemy military occupation of the area sooner rather than decades later.

The Midland and other electronics (help me here, Crash) can be protected from EMP effects by proper shielding. In other words, if you melt down enough lead and make a lead box thick enough to store your electronics in, the equipment will probably survive. We're talking about at least 10" lead walls here, and that lead is really heavy stuff.

Most vehicles with electronic systems (almost EVERYTHING built since 1980) will suffer EMP damage. That's one helluva big lead garage were talking about! (Maybe you should have kept that 65 Chevy truck with all the body rot.)

You won't be able to depend on most civilian two-way systems (other than "ham" radios whch have been shielded) for long range communications. Most medium (over 3 miles) to long range systems rely on repeaters, duplexers, "voting systems," and high elevation antennas, all of which would likely be destroyed by EMP. Same goes for cell phone systems, which often share tower space with commercial two-way. Most of the cheap two-way "walkie-talkie" systems are pure junk even without EMP. When they say "up to 5 mile range" you can often count on 1/4 mile unless you have optimal conditions and clear line of sight.

If you want to spend some money, think about sat phones. (Yep, still gotta' shield them beforehand.) IF (big word here, "If") some of the satellite constellation survives, sat phone to sat phone communications will probably keep working for at least a few months. Sat phone prices are way down now - as low as $39.00/month and falling.

You can keep radio batteries charged with manually cranked generators or some of the other ingenious devices members have posted about.

Teotwawki
06-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Not sure if it is true but I have heard that a microwave oven will protect from EMP.

So, for your small electronics, store them in the microwave.

But, unless ya keep yer stuff in the nuker or big lead garage all the time it is probably one of those things that you can really not do much about.

If the bombs start going off it is not likely we will have any warning.

Ken
06-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Not sure if it is true but I have heard that a microwave oven will protect from EMP.

Sorry, Teo. Absolutely not true.

Ken
06-04-2008, 10:02 AM
BTW. Think medical supplies. Great barter goods.

bulrush
06-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I'll trade you a Katadyn pump water filter for your 4 hens and rooster. To me, hens are easy food (for eggs), and chickens I know how to take care of. My main problem would be keeping predators away from them, so I'd have to make a coop.

I have a mess of pocket knives to trade but none of them are high quality, and everyone here has at least a dozen knives already. :)

Sam
06-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Good Barter Goods IMHO:

Liquor, tobacco, salt, coffee, ammo.

and nails, rope, plastic sheeting, duct tape, t-shirts, socks, sturdy shoes in various sizes, wire, fishing supplies (line, hooks, split-shot).
this is just a few more things people may see a use for in the city or country side, IMO.

Dennis K.
06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Good Barter supplies - I would guess hand tools & consumables like fire-starters, gas, water purification tablets.
Although, a good source for non-biocontaminated liquid is homemade beer. No known pathogens can live in fermenting beer or wine. For centuries, many people, especially in urban areas were paid in Beer, Wine, and Firewood. Hmmm, there's a lesson in that...

Rick
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't know. I had an uncle that lived in beer for a lot of years. I know he was a pathogen. That's probably a kinder name than most called him.

Dennis K.
06-04-2008, 12:51 PM
**guffaw**
Another legend says that if you drink 8 pints of Guiness a day, you'll never die.
- Dennis (pickled & preserved) K.

tacmedic
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I have to endorse the thought that liquor would be a good barter item especially in the city. Having worked weekend nights in a city ER for a while it seems that a lot of people can't live without it for very long and might be willing to trade most things for it. Cigarettes being a close second.

dragonjimm
06-04-2008, 03:04 PM
i agree with the liquor and drugs as barter not to mention the mary jane:p but what about services say some one who could fix the 4x4 or a traveling doctor,midwife (the biggest population boom occur after blackouts) or vet.
and please remember not every one will have the fore thought to put back more then a weeks worth of groceries. if youre the shady type you might get a lot for the seeds and midland.

i got a bag of winter clothes that fit a three year old and a single burner propane stove and lantern for the goat?:D

Teotwawki
06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
We live in a part of the country with a rich history of moonshinin' - not that I would ever engage in such an activity. Hiccup.

http://www.revenoor.com/prodimg/w_Jacket.jpg

Actually - while it is illegal to make and sell grain alcohol - it is legal to make it (U.S.)! " To produce alcohol fuel, the only requirement is a simple permit issued by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau." Tax credits are available too!

Great possible alternative fuel to make, use, barter and sip - gotta test it.

This seems like a pretty good site if you are interested in this.... (http://www.revenoor.com/GenWebPage.ihtml?formID=1)

TTB FAQ... (http://www.ttb.gov/forms_tutorials/f56208b/faq_instructions1.html)
TTB Application Packet (http://www.ttb.gov/applications/index.shtml)

Teotwawki
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
i got a bag of winter clothes that fit a three year old and a single burner propane stove and lantern for the goat?:D

Why does your goat need that stuff? :confused:

Rick
06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
We have a thread on making your self indispensable.

Ken
06-04-2008, 06:25 PM
We have a thread on making your self indispensable.

Never read it, have you?:D

chiggersngrits
06-04-2008, 06:31 PM
great ideas guys. i had a much longer list but cut down to just 12. i agree that cigs, alocohol and the mj would probably be good trade items. nell the midland radio has a dynamo charger and the battery packs from the walky talkys can be put into the base unit and charged up. i guess i'll just keep morgan for myself:rolleyes:

Rick
06-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I have a pair of walkie talkies that can also be charged in a vehicle.

dragonjimm
06-05-2008, 05:03 AM
hairless pygmy goat ...gets cold

i have a small ac/dc inverter to plug a battery charger in to....not to hijack the thread has any one looked into small windmills these would be great for bugging in.

ps. nice still much better then my radiator model:D

crashdive123
06-05-2008, 06:45 AM
There has been some discussion about wind turbines. One member was developing plans to build one. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1566&highlight=wind+turbine

dragonjimm
06-05-2008, 09:48 AM
thanks crash...was kinda slow on that one

bulrush
06-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I think strawberry shampoo would be good. To make the pygmy goat smell nice anyway. :)

No seriously. Keeping clean would be important for preventing infections, and how many people know how to make soap? Soap would be a good barter item. Just dip the whole bar in melted wax and it will keep for years. (Note to self: buy 100 bars of soap after work.)

Wax can be used to can items (although it's not the recommended methods right now, it can be used to can SOME things). It can also be used to make candles. And preserve soap. :)

nell67
06-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I think strawberry shampoo would be good. To make the pygmy goat smell nice anyway. :)

No seriously. Keeping clean would be important for preventing infections, and how many people know how to make soap? Soap would be a good barter item. Just dip the whole bar in melted wax and it will keep for years. (Note to self: buy 100 bars of soap after work.)

Wax can be used to can items (although it's not the recommended methods right now, it can be used to can SOME things). It can also be used to make candles. And preserve soap. :)

Funny thing bulrush,I used to show goats around Indiana ,Ohio and Kentucky,and there was a lot of strawberry shampoo floating around to shampoo the bucks with,as it neutralized the stink from them.

Ken
06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Funny thing bulrush,I used to show goats around Indiana ,Ohio and Kentucky,and there was a lot of strawberry shampoo floating around to shampoo the bucks with,as it neutralized the stink from them.

Mental Note - Add following to Christmas Gift List:

My Brother, Rick - 1 Gallon of Strawberry Shampoo :D

nell67
06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Mental Note - Add following to Christmas Gift List:

My Brother, Rick - 1 Gallon of Strawberry Shampoo :D

Better make it a lifetime supply :D:D:D:p

crashdive123
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
You guys are cold.

Ken
06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
You guys are cold.

Just seized upon the opportunity before you got to it, Crash. :D

crashdive123
06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
What?!?! I am shocked that you think I would stoop so low as to insinuate that..... ah never mind. Nobody would beLIEve me. (see Nell - notice how I picked up on that)

nell67
06-05-2008, 05:02 PM
What?!?! I am shocked that you think I would stoop so low as to insinuate that..... ah never mind. Nobody would beLIEve me. (see Nell - notice how I picked up on that)

Haha,been doing that ever since..well you KNOW what went on that night.Still waiting on the airstrike!

crashdive123
06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I guess he still lurks around every now and then. I've seen him on line, but he hasn't posted.

Gray Wolf
06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Remember, items like the tobacco, liquor and drugs, might be necessary if someone gets hurt... A real possibility. Tobacco can be used to stop bleeding if you don't have anything like Celox in your kit.

Cringe
07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
1. Ruger 10/22 and 500 rounds ammo
2. two 5 gal. jerry cans gas
3. 4 laying hens and 1 rooster
4. one year old boer goat
5. 20 packs assorted veg. seeds
6. 30 gal barrel drinking water
7. 10 bag rice
8. oil lamp and 2 gal. lamp oil
9. 12 mre with heaters
10. midland base camp radio with 2 walky talkys