PDA

View Full Version : survival kit in a can

dragonjimm
06-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Hello Everyone,

I too have a survival kit problem. I have a master list that would probably fit into a small day pack. Lately though I have been developing a kit in a coffee can. I can describe it later if anyone is interested but on to my problem.

i'm interested. is this kit for a vehicle or is this something you would carry on you?

i have a two piece german mess kit that i carry for cooking and I carried my kit in it at one time the mess kit went in a canvas case and attached to my web belt or was carried in a fanny pack.
the good part was nothing got mashed or broke but was a bit cumbersome

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZRW170-297-1391.html

dilligaf2u2
06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
I have one of those sets. Never used it except to cook on over-nighters. The burner is fantastic.

I never thought to make a survival kit out of it. Like you said it is a bit bulky.

Don

Rick
06-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Ditto on the kit. Ditto on the stove. It is great. I use it if I'm out of my truck only because it's a bit on the heavy side. I carry a pocket rocket for backpacking. I also have an Esbit stove and a canteen cup stove. Haven't broken the last two in yet.

dragonjimm
06-05-2008, 06:31 AM
i carried it the most when i had my atv, i used to ride a lot by my self and really didnt want to get stranded with out a kit.

Originally i kept food in it just in case i had to spend the night in the woods. the guys i rode with were amazed at what i carried but never turned down an aspirin or a bandaid

Gray Wolf
06-05-2008, 10:45 AM
The Esbit stoves are great. I keep 1 in my pack, 1 in my van and 1 in the house. I use it with a canteen cup and a 7" SS plate (two position settings). It's so light weight and folds to the size of a sandwich. When folded it keeps the Esbit fuel tablets inside.

bulrush
06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Dragonjimm, that's the same kit I got 2 years ago when they were $6! I love that kit. Pot, pan, windscreen, alcohol container, Trangia-alcohol stove, and they all stack together.