PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Preparedness

crashdive123
06-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Today being the first day of hurricane season, and living in Florida, we are being inundated with the hurricane preparedness news shows. The all seem to focus on the same things like three day supply of food and water (not enough IMO), batteries, having all of your important documents ready to go with you, etc. (which is improtant). Some things that they don't seem to emphasize - insurance: make sure you have what you need, including flood insurance if needed. Remember with flood insurance the policy does not kick in for thirty days after taking out policy to prevent you from taking out a policy just before a storm hits (I think that number is right). Look at your policy - housing prices have gone down in many areas, but repair costs have not. Some policies may pay based on value of home. Inventory of your contents. Photographs or video works well. You may want to store a copy with a relative at a different location.

This site has some useful information and links. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/intro.shtml

Rick
06-01-2008, 08:07 PM
And remember that your home owner's insurance does NOT cover floods. You must acquire flood insurance through the federal government. You can check your risk and find out what it would cost to ensure your home from their web site at:

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/landing_pages/landing0000_1.jsp?WT.mc_id=FEMA_Google1&WT.srch=1

Ken
06-01-2008, 11:13 PM
With hurricane season coming, I'm checking both of my 10 kw generators, double checking my fuel, oil, spark plug, filter, etc. supplies, and recharging my lanterns and batteries. I do this every three months without fail. :cool:

While we rarely get hit as badly in New England as compared to those of you who live in gulf coast and southeastern seaboard states, we have gotten slammed from time to time. I live about 300 feet from a river, close to a large bay, and the "V-zone" is practically at my doorstep. I'm just a few feet higher than the "100 year flood" mark, but well below the "500 year" mark. :eek: I've got a picture of a 300' tanker that "beached itself" across the road about a quarter mile from my home in 1937.

With several tall oaks about 15 feet from the house, I keep pre-cut slotted plywood sheets (marked for each window) and lag bolts on hand just in case.

During Hurricane Bob in '91, we lost power for about two days. We had the only lit-up house around. I let my next door neighbors plug their refrigerators into my system, and probably pi**ed off the rest when I let my kids swim in the pool with the flood lights on after the hurricane passed. That air conditioning felt mighty good with all the humidity, as we had to cool the house with all of the cooking going on for the friends we invited over.:D

I believe that a good generator, even one just powerful enough to keep the refrigerator and a lamp running, is a sound investment that will pay for itself if only through the cost of the food in the refrigerator/freezer that will be saved.