PDA

View Full Version : Moose deterrents

KingFisher907
06-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Im new to the forum and this topic may or may not have been covered, if so, forgive the repetition...its officially summer in Alaska! and that means gardening...I have generally used a solar-powered electric fence to keep moose out of our precious veggies and it seems to work fairly well...I would like to get some other ideas on deterrents, be they natural or man-made...thanks...KF907

Chuck
06-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I never seen a thing that will stop a determine moose. Before the wolves and bears trashed our moose out here in 16 we had at least 2 or 3 moose attacks on our garden every summer. Their main target was broccoli they would eat the tops off each plant then go to the next one. We tried mothballs once but I can't remember if they worked. Dogs work pretty good for most moose.

wildWoman
06-01-2008, 02:15 PM
We are right in a major moose area although they mostly frequent us in the winter. We have electric fencing and have to date had zero problems with moose, caribou, grizzly, black bears, lynx etc getting into the garden or our duckhouse. This is our 4th year in the bush.

KingFisher907
06-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input guys...its good to hear from fellow Alaskans...have a great summer!

RBB
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't suppose it would work for a garden, but when I run into a moose on a trail - and the moose doesn't want to move - pissing will often get them moving - especially if you're up wind. Most animals don't care for the scent of human urine.

Rick
06-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Trust me. If I run into a moose that doesn't want to move I've probably already done that. Involuntarily.

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Drill small hole in bars of Irish spring soap and hang moose nose high around the garden. Also Mothballs, on the ground 5' outside the garden area. But not where humans will inhale them. But a moth ball about every 24" they are fairly cheap at Wall mart. Get the balls not the crystals (they melt to quick). The balls will last all summer.

And no it is not painful for the moth when He is casterated.......:p

Ken
06-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Trust me. If I run into a moose that doesn't want to move I've probably already done that. Involuntarily.

Now don't go pickin' another fight with one of those things. Remember what happened the last time? :p

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
And no it is not painful for the moth when He is casterated.......:p

I see. Trying to head off the humorous retort.

RBB
06-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Well, they often don't want to move. If they have found something to eat - they are likely to just stay put. If it is a cow with a calf (in spring) or a bull moose in rut (autumn) you are wise to make yourself scarce. Other times of the year - not to worry. Moose have strange eyesight. While they can see almost 360 degrees - they pick up on movement. If you are just standing on a trail and a moose comes along - they often won't see you. If you make a quick movement - they will stop and peer at you with one eye - then the other. Make another move or some noise, and they will take off.