PDA

View Full Version : Survival forum comparison

rebel
05-31-2008, 11:57 PM
How many members also use other survival forums?

If you do, what do you like and dislike about the other forums?

In your opinion what would make this the all-around and best forum for survival?

AKS
06-01-2008, 12:54 AM
1. Yup, it's true. I visit other survival forums. I only look though. It's ok to look...right?
2. The other forums are similar as far as the conversations but they have different points of view and some times different references. Some of the threads turn south faster out there.
3. IMHO To make this the all-around and best forum for survival...each new member should send me 5lbs of bacon. (Don't worry rick and q/a department, I would share)

Sam
06-01-2008, 01:32 AM
I don't remember the wedding but Ok I'll bite. lol
I go to a few others for different things, some focus on firearms and and the advantages/disadvantages, upkeep, parts procurement etc..
Some are similar but not 'home' like' this one.
If I'm cheating just let me know where to pick up the kids on what week ends. lol

Sourdough
06-01-2008, 01:41 AM
As entertainment this forum is fun. It allows members to feel helpful and important. It is kind of like the Dating Game, Herb, " I'll choose answer # 3, He sounds witty, and charming."

People give no information on their intro, "HI, I am Gizzywonker, and I live east of the Rocky Mountains". ( Sounds like a wilderness expert to me. )

To my questions, I want real first hand experience, NOT, my teacher said, or I read some place that....., or imported information from google. If I want information about wrestling alligators, I want it for someone who has done it. Not someone who read a book about it.

Leave this form as entertainment.

And start a new form for real first hand information. Someone writes: I am hiking alone, along a single track, (whats a single track) and see a mountain lion 20 yards ahead on a ledge 12 feet above the trail, the lion is watching me..........what should I do....? I want a forum where none of the answers come from people who want to give their novice opinion, or what they heard, or read, or imported info from someone who read info some place and is a paper expert, or are still scratching their head, "whats a single track".

I want "NO" responses, or I want to hear from those who have had that experience firsthand. Refereed to as: Been there, Experienced that.

Me, I have never seen a Mountain Lion that was not in the Zoo.

Alpine_Sapper
06-01-2008, 03:16 AM
As entertainment this forum is fun. It allows members to feel helpful and important. It is kind of like the Dating Game, Herb, " I'll choose answer # 3, He sounds witty, and charming."

People give no information on their intro, "HI, I am Gizzywonker, and I live east of the Rocky Mountains". ( Sounds like a wilderness expert to me. )

To my questions, I want real first hand experience, NOT, my teacher said, or I read some place that....., or imported information from google. If I want information about wrestling alligators, I want it for someone who has done it. Not someone who read a book about it.

Leave this form as entertainment.

And start a new form for real first hand information. Someone writes: I am hiking alone, along a single track, (whats a single track) and see a mountain lion 20 yards ahead on a ledge 12 feet above the trail, the lion is watching me..........what should I do....? I want a forum where none of the answers come from people who want to give their novice opinion, or what they heard, or read, or imported info from someone who read info some place and is a paper expert, or are still scratching their head, "whats a single track".

I want "NO" responses, or I want to hear from those who have had that experience firsthand. Refereed to as: Been there, Experienced that.

Me, I have never seen a Mountain Lion that was not in the Zoo.

rofl. This is the internet man. No offense, but as my parents used to say, want in one hand...

dragonjimm
06-01-2008, 08:05 AM
currently this is the only forum i read or try to contribute to i have in the past been involved with a few other forums but the content went under. too paranoid or to political
i like it here folks are nice and knowledgeable and with a sense of humor.

@hopeak....i agree with you, I'd rather get advice from some one who's lived it then from someone who's dreamed it. also would a large tabby cat on the back fence count as a cougar encounter :P

pgvoutdoors
06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I occasionally visit other forums but I don't participate in decisions. I came across this forum last year and have been happy with it. I don't have much extra time most days, so it's all I can do to keep up with this one. It takes a little time to get to know the personalities of everyone but most are well intended. I recommend the site for most adults.

Teotwawki
06-01-2008, 09:22 AM
First and only.

Like it a lot so far... I've recommended it to my SKS gifting, goat herding, survivalist mom and she has joined. Gonna recommend it to my Iraqi War veteran nephew.

Seems to be just a touch of prejudice against wascally wabbits though.

**EDIT -

As for making it the best? I think a way to rate answers would be useful and fun. Sorry if such a feature already exists - I'm still finding my way around the site.

Sourdough
06-01-2008, 10:10 AM
rofl. This is the internet man. No offense, but as my parents used to say, want in one hand...

No OFFENSE, but as my parents used to say a job worth doing, is a job worth doing correct. The thread question was:.....In your opinion what would it take to make this the BEST site on survival.

As for "This is the internet" well if Al Gore invented it, I hope he can get that global warming machine of his working, It is 38* above at 5:AM on June 1st.........:p

KingFisher907
06-01-2008, 11:46 AM
hopeak,
about global warming, ditto, we're sitting right at 40 above at the moment in North Pole..

Chuck
06-01-2008, 01:56 PM
I get into more primitive skills forums than survival forums. I would rather have knowledge and skills that will help me and my family survive. I don't have a need to bug out since I'm already about as far out as you can get. I need to know how to find and use what I have at hand.

Sam Reeves
06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I visit a gardening forum. I'm not sure if that counts, though.

http://www.gardeningforums.net/index.php

Rick
06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I visit other forums. I'm always looking for a better way or a better idea. The interesting thing for me is that this forum always seems to have the best ones.

Hopeak. Instead of complaining about the problem. Fix it. Start your own honest to God, True to life, nobody can join unless you are the real deal, won't feed anybody any BS, can't ever get off thread, won't ever be sarcastic, promise to fill out the profile completely, forum.:rolleyes:

Chicago Dan
06-01-2008, 02:57 PM
As stated by others I also visit other sites for other or more specific info on various topics. What I like about this site is the fast response time people get. Someone may post a question etc. and then very quickly Rick and others post links to helpful sites that are pertinent.

In regards to the quality of the info and the expertise of people, well like anything else on the internet I use it to stir the imagination and use my own logic and research to confirm or deny. That's not a knock, just how I go about things myself. Therefore in that capacity this site has been very useful to me and I only post here.

crashdive123
06-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I vist several forums, but only participate in this one. I just like the crowd here.

wildWoman
06-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm on a couple of other wilderness/homesteading related ones. I like this one because it's got a wider variety of peole on here and a couple very specific homesteading questions that I had were answered faster and better on this forum than on the homesteading ones. I would still like to see the different threads sorted better, into subsections as homesteading, livestock, animals, plants etc, IMO it would make it better because then you have specific areas to go through instead of sifting through everything for the stuff you're interested in.
But what I'd really like and am still looking for is a forum with just bush people on there, of the animal-loving, tree-hugging kind. But I have a hunch most of the other tree huggers can't tear themselves away from their Starbucks to actually go and walk the walk. So we'll make make do with the reddish-necked...they can be nice people too...

wareagle69
06-01-2008, 08:17 PM
i belong to several other forums, like my wild edible books i don't just limit my references to just one
to make this the best forum all the fu*king whining needs to go away
i agree with....hopeak...damn that hurt.. i want true to life experience not something someone read in a book or saw on vylli granilli.

crashdive123
06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Just to play devils advocate Wareagle - you probably have one of the largest libraries on wild edibles out of anybody on the forum....so the book part (and links on the internet) certainly do play a part in learning.

Ccole420
06-01-2008, 08:51 PM
i just go on this one... and visit others that im not regerstired to, just to look for info that isnt on this site. ive actully been looking on this one for a while before i became a member.

rebel
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Good points. Let's see if I got it:

An adult site. No wannabe show off.

An experienced response.

More defined sections. A section for every homesteading item. Such as a canning section. A chicken section. A gun section. A TSHTF section. etc.

Does this seem about right?

Specifically, which sites would you have?

How could you control the wannabes from posting the psycho B.S.?

Is this possible and what are the limits? Everyone who comes on can't have everything.

Alpine_Sapper
06-01-2008, 11:36 PM
First and only.
Seems to be just a touch of prejudice against wascally wabbits though.

roflmao. Is you're *** still chapped about that? My bad, I didn't realize you were so sensitive.

Ken
06-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Visit other forums? Yep. Belong to them? Nope. Don't know why, :confused: but I like you guys and ladies!

rebel
06-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I like this place too and the folks who check-in. I looked around and this place has the "home" feel. Anyway, I thought if some folks had an idea for making it better then why not. I'm sure we could come to some consensus for the good of all.

DOGMAN
06-02-2008, 02:50 AM
This is my favorite forum because of how many people post on it, and how frequently. Sometimes, responses are so quick its like a chat room. Also, if you visit here frequently enough and read over peoples introductions you can get a feel for who really has something to add based on experience, and those that just like to play on the internet.

Rick
06-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Native Dude is the only one that can come up with that and he's not on because he's out living it.

Arkansas_Ranger
06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
There are others?!?! WTF, I wasn't told this. ;)

Alpine_Sapper
06-02-2008, 10:41 AM
This is my favorite forum because of how many people post on it, and how frequently. Sometimes, responses are so quick its like a chat room. Also, if you visit here frequently enough and read over peoples introductions you can get a feel for who really has something to add based on experience, and those that just like to play on the internet.

lol. Trying to judge someone by there intro and what they post in most of the BS threads is not a good measure of their experience. You could be discounting someone who "plays on the internet" as inexperienced and ignorant in bushcraft and theres a good chance they have as much experience as you. I haven't seen very many threads on Wilderness Survival lately, anyway. I've seen a LOT on homesteading, and a LOT MORE on the doom and gloom "oh the sky is falling and the economy is about to implode pleasee save me I'm scaawed". SHort of starting a new thread there's not much you can offer on bushcraft in a thread about the price of flour.

Chris
06-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I visit a gardening forum. I'm not sure if that counts, though.

http://www.gardeningforums.net/index.php
You know that forum is mine too right?

nell67
06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Chris,I wish you would put up a list of all your sites,or link to them somewhere on the forum.

trax
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
I've only got my work day to play around here on the world wide net--Interweb thingie so I don't have time for a lot of other forums or chit chat or whatever and I like it here, no one means on me. (I know I've mentioned that before, but it's important to me :D)

DOGMAN
06-02-2008, 06:38 PM
lol. Trying to judge someone by there intro and what they post in most of the BS threads is not a good measure of their experience. You could be discounting someone who "plays on the internet" as inexperienced and ignorant in bushcraft and theres a good chance they have as much experience as you. I haven't seen very many threads on Wilderness Survival lately, anyway. I've seen a LOT on homesteading, and a LOT MORE on the doom and gloom "oh the sky is falling and the economy is about to implode pleasee save me I'm scaawed". SHort of starting a new thread there's not much you can offer on bushcraft in a thread about the price of flour.

I understand what your saying, and your are completly correct.But there are definetly a few folks that seem to be on the up and up on their intro, and then their posts reflect that. Mountaintrekker was one and wildwoman, and heck even Flavorbear and Omid. Some folks are honest both directions, stating very early on , that they need advice, or they can share advice. If you read those intro's- then their posts- you can kind of gather enough info on wheather or not you should listen to the opinion being offered- did they make any sense.

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 06:42 PM
....and being an active forum, there will be no shortage of people willing to raise the BS flag when needed.

Rick
06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Have you ever tried to fold a BS flag? The tighter you make the triangle the more BS spills out on the ground. Well, it's a pain, that's for sure.

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 06:45 PM
As long as you wear gloves it's not too bad. (******)(just checking)

klkak
06-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I visit one other forum. Trapperman.

I like this forum because it covers a wide variety of survival and bushcraft topics. I know I have picked up some good ideas and I hope the info I have shared has helped someone.

I would like to see folks go into a tad more detail on their profiles, but I can live with it the way it is.

wareagle69
06-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Just to play devils advocate Wareagle - you probably have one of the largest libraries on wild edibles out of anybody on the forum....so the book part (and links on the internet) certainly do play a part in learning.

i agree whole heartedly crash i do have an enormous amount of books on my fav topics and while i will use the books and web to glean info i also then go out and practice that before i post about it(most times) i did not mention before that while yes i do belong to other forums this is my home, one of the benefits that was already mention is the speed at which there is usually a response to my posts some others takes weeks before i get a response, i think that is one of the most appealing aspects of this forum

Chris
06-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Chris,I wish you would put up a list of all your sites,or link to them somewhere on the forum.

Maybe I will sometime. Most of them are fairly unrelated to this site though, I'm a bit of a renaissance man, a very diverse set of interests and I've built sites to accomodate those. Anyways, my largest (and oldest) is http://www.online-literature.com, and the one most closely related to this one (and it is a stretch) is http://www.backyardgardening.net - only because it covers edible gardening.

This site, btw, is my second oldest.

Rick
06-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Ahem!! You aren't suppose to be self promoting in the body of the email. It's against forum rules. What's that? You own the place? My bad. I'll be moving along now......

Ken
06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Chris, you have one of those buttons with a safety cover hinged over the top? :D That disrespectful Super Moderator is ALWAYS threatening your loyal members with HIS button.

Rick
06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Tattle tail!!!!

wareagle69
06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
ya chris put the twinkie in his place...

Ken
06-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Tattle tail!!!!

Okay. Back to the Cloak Room, Richard! :mad:

nell67
06-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Okay. Back to the Cloak Room, Richard! :mad:

Kenneth,play nice with your brother...:rolleyes:

Ken
06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Kenneth,play nice with your brother...:rolleyes:

My Mom said the same thing to me just this past Saturday .... :)

nell67
06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
My Mom said the same thing to me just this past Saturday .... :)

Well,it was good advice then too,LOL,but really,I wanted to say give him h**l,but didn't want to offend anyone :D or hurt Ricks wittle feelings.

Ken
06-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Well,it was good advice then too,LOL,but really,I wanted to say give him h**l,but didn't want to offend anyone :D or hurt Ricks wittle feelings.

Really? You think he has feelings? :confused: Honest?

nell67
06-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Really? You think he has feelings? :confused: Honest?

Well,he has shown a little emotion from time to time (ask him about all the crying he did when he and I first butted heads way back when he joined).

Ken
06-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Probably just tears from having serious pain inflicted on him. :p

nell67
06-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Well he did say that I het HARD! LMAO!

Rick
06-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I still have a bruise!:o

Ken
06-04-2008, 08:29 AM

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD! :D

Rick
06-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Do you have an off switch?

nell67
06-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Awe poor Rick,:D

Beo
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
This is my only survival forum, ya can't beat the best and the people are great!!!
Anything else is just blathering:D

Rick
06-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Man! It's about time you showed up. Where have you been?!