PDA

View Full Version : What does a # 10 can mean...? What does a # 10 scoop or shovel mean...?

Sourdough
05-31-2008, 01:04 PM
I have lots on # 10 cans, My fruit comes in # 10 cans......But what does that mean # 10.....?

And I have a # 10 scoop or # 10 shovel, but what does # 10 shovel mean...?

And coal "I loaded 14 tons of # 9 coal"....? what is # 9 coal.....?

Rick
05-31-2008, 03:45 PM
You do this crap on purpose don't you?! I can say one word and answer all those questions.
Google.

crashdive123
05-31-2008, 03:54 PM
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blhelp7.htm

Sourdough
05-31-2008, 08:37 PM
What is a google......?

crashdive123
05-31-2008, 09:06 PM
It's what you do after you've been drinking alot. Similar to drooling.

Sourdough
05-31-2008, 11:06 PM
It is also the sound the geese make when mating.

Sourdough
05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
You do this crap on purpose don't you?! I can say one word and answer all those questions.
Google.

Rick, Tell me how do I look it up in google, I truely have no Idea.....? do you say, "What is a # 10 shovel"? and it answers. We ain't all computer smart, and if it is really that easy.......why do we need you....:):):)

Sarge47
06-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Check this out, maybe it'll help.:cool:

there are various sizes to #10 cans. their weight can range from 6lb
2oz to 7lb 5oz or 12 to 13 cups (or approximately 3 quarts).

http://www.cancentral.com/standard.cfm

Rick
06-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Exactly. If that doesn't return the results you are looking for them type in "types of shovels" or "sizes of shovels". Just change the wording a bit. Questions are good because believe it or not very often folks have posted that same question and those posts, along with their answers, will appear in the results.

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Hopeak - on Google - type in "what does a #10 can mean". The first response is a good one (at least it was firsrt at the time of this posting).

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Hopeak - on Google - type in "what does a #10 can mean". The first response is a good one (at least it was firsrt at the time of this posting).

Crash, that is great........I saw that and say, WHAT.

O'Well, Maybe someone can import the words to the song, "In the year 2525"

I fear we are there early.

Ken
06-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Yep. Zager & Evans.

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Yep. Zager & Evans.

WOW' You are really, really, really OLD.

My guess is that song would top the chart today if someone did a remake.

Ken
06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
WOW' You are really, really, really OLD.

My guess is that song would top the chart today if someone did a remake.

Time to start a new band. :D What should we name it?

Ken
06-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Crash, that is great........I saw that and say, WHAT.

O'Well, Maybe someone can import the words to the song, "In the year 2525"

I fear we are there early.

For you, Hopeak :D:

In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find...

In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies
Everything you think, do, and say
Is in the pill you took today

In the year 4545
Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to do
Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

In the year 7510
If God's a-comin' he ought to make it by then
Maybe he'll look around himself and say
''Guess it's time for the Judgement day''

In the year 8510
God's gonna shake his mighty head
He'll either say ''I'm pleased where man has been''
Or tear it down and start again

In the year 9595
I'm kinda wondering if man's gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing...

Now it's been 10,000 years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what he never knew
Now man's reign is through
But through the eternal night
The twinkling of starlight
So very far away
Maybe it's only yesterday

Omid
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
the number depends on the can size.
#2.5 is the kind in grocery stores (mostly)

#10 is the big cans that resturants (and hopeak) buy.

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
the number depends on the can size.
#2.5 is the kind in grocery stores (mostly)

#10 is the big cans that resturants (and hopeak) buy.

Yes, but what is the origin of the # 10 can....? was it because it held 10 Pygmies, or 10 something? and I can not find it on google.

Like shotguns are gauge which is how many balls it takes to equal one something like a gauge. so a 20 required 20 balls to equal the same as 12 balls from a 12 gauge.

So what is the origin on the number system for cans, shovels, coal, etc.

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Ok - a definitive answer on the origin of numbers for cans, shovels, coal, etc.

The origins of numbers date back to the Egyptians and Babylonians, who had a complete system for arithmetic on the whole numbers (1,2,3,4,. . . ) and the positive rational numbers.
The Greeks at the time of Pythagoras knew that these number systems (whole numbers and ratios of whole numbers) could not completely describe everything they wanted numbers to describe. They discovered that no rational number could describe the length of the diagonal of a square whose sides were of length 1. They called such lengths "irrational", recognizing that some other kind of number system would be needed in order to describe them, but not knowing what it would be. They did not pursue the matter, for they viewed whole numbers with such awe that anything not expressible in terms of whole numbers was distrusted by them as contrary to nature.

These number systems evolved somewhat during the Middle ages with the notable addition by the Hindus of a convenient notation for zero and negative numbers, concepts which previously had been difficult to deal with due to the lack of notation. The properties of the "real number system" (consisting of both rational and irrational numbers) began to be understood in the 1600's with the development of calculus, and by the end of the 1800's mathematicians such as Dedekind and Cantor were giving rigorous mathematical definitions of this number system, putting it on equal footing with the whole numbers and rational numbers.

It wasn't until the early 1800's, however, that the abstract structure of these number systems was studied. This new area of math, like many other areas of math, arose from a creative new way to answer an old question: how to find the roots of a polynomial (those numbers which, when substituted into it, give zero).

Much was known about polynomials of degree (highest power) less than 5. Italian mathematicians had solved for the roots of the 3rd and 4th degree polynomials in the 1500's. These solutions were always expressible in terms of "radicals" or nth roots of numbers. For a long time no one knew how to solve a general 5th degree polynomial for its root.

Polynomials of lower degrees were still of interest though. In search of a deeper understanding of them, Gauss studied quadratic (2nd degree) polynomials. Through his work, he found that the objects he was considering were related to each other in much the same way that numbers are related under addition or multiplication. In modern terms, he was considering "finite group structures": finite sets which are essentially like a number system, but with only one operation. In many of the groups which he worked with the order in which the operation was performed doesn't matter: a ·b = b ·a. Groups in which the operation commutes in this way are called abelian groups. It is believed that Gauss may have been one of the first to have a rough understanding of the structure of finite abelian groups.

Also related to the study of polynomials is the "theory of substitutions" studied by Lagrange, Vandermonde, and Gauss. A substitution is where the variable of the polynomial is replaced with a different expression (such as a new variable plus a constant). It is possible sometimes to make the "right" substitution and turn a very complicated polynomial into something much easier to handle. This led to the study of the permutations of a set. Also studied by Ruffini and Cauchy, the permutations of a set form a group structure as well, though in this case the order of operation matters and therefore the groups are non-abelian.

Any discussion of the study of polynomials and number systems incomplete without a mention of Galois. He was the first to fully understand the connections between these finite number systems and the behavior of the roots of polynomials. It follows from his work that there is no "nice" formula for the roots of some 5th degree polynomials. While he died in his early 20s in a duel, his work (which was allegedly written in a letter and sent to a friend the day before he died) is still one of the cornerstones of the study of number systems.

Then some guy said - "Hey that looks like a #10 can." Yep - that's what I'll call it.

Ken
06-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Okay, Hopeak, here you are :D:

http://www.cancentral.com/standard.cfm#standexplan

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Crash, I just threw a full beercan at your head, per your number theory It should be there in 3.41297756 hours. Enjoy, and I thunk you nailed as good as it needs to be nailed. Don't tell anyone, but I really do this just to drive Twinkie' Boy crazy.

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Crash, I just threw a full beercan at your head, per your number theory It should be there in 3.41297756 hours. Enjoy, and I thunk you nailed as good as it needs to be nailed. Don't tell anyone, but I really do this just to drive Twinkie' Boy crazy.

I know. But it does cause me to look up some weird stuff. Thanks.

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Okay, Hopeak, here you are :D:

http://www.cancentral.com/standard.cfm#standexplan

Wow, It is not exact, they do round it off, but yes it works. It works best if you close one eye, and squint with the other. I'll have to trust that they did not screw'up the first can, as all cans are a divisible part, or multiple of the original can.......:rolleyes:

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 07:53 PM
So, Crash, why is the can on ship called the head.......?

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I sometimes feel just alittle sorry for the poor SOB that comes to this thread three years from now for useful information........

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 07:59 PM
So, Crash, why is the can on ship called the head.......?

Being serious for a second (I know it's hard to believe - don't spit coffee or beer onto the keyboard)...HEAD: The nautical term for bathroom/WC. So called because on early sailing ships it was located at the head or bow of the vessel.

Rick
06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
#10 Shovel: Scoops go in numbers from 8-12 which represents the width of the blade.

http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/listid/1720/Home++Garden/Kinds+of+Shovels.aspx

#10 Can: American can sizes have an assortment of designations and sizes. For example, size 1/4 contains one serving of half a cup with an estimated weight of 4 ounces; size 1 "picnic" has two or three servings totalling one and a quarter cups with an estimated weight of 10½ ounces; size 303 has four servings totalling 2 cups weighing 15½ ounces; and size 10 cans, most widely used by food services selling to cafeterias and restaurants, have twenty-five servings totaling 13 cups with an estimated weight of 103½ ounces (size of a roughly 3 pound coffee can). These are all "U.S. customary" cups, and not equivalent to the former Imperial standard of the British Empire or the later Commonwealth.

In the United States, cook books will sometimes reference cans by size. These sizes are currently published by the Can Manufacturers Institute and may be expressed in three-digit numbers, as measured in whole and sixteenths of an inch for the container's nominal outside dimensions: a 307 x 512 would thus measure 3 and 7/16" in diameter by 5 and 3/4" (12/16") in height. Notice that this is not in millimetres. Older can numbers are often expressed as single digits, their contents being calculated for room-temperature water as approximately eleven ounces (#1 "picnic" can), twenty ounces (#2), thirty-two ounces (#3) fifty-eight ounces (#5) and one-hundred-ten ounces (#10 "coffee" can).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_can#Standard_sizes

#9 coal:

I"m going to have to give you my version of this one. I think I'm right, however. the #9 coal you are referencing was popularized by Tennessee Ernie Ford in the song 16 Tons.

Coal exists as layers, or seams, found between geologic rock layers and can be anywhere from a few inches to several feet thick.

Coals seams are numbered from 1 (furthest from the surface) to however many seams are present. The last number being nearer the surface.

In this case, the coal referenced is from the #9 seam in northeastern Tennessee where the singer is from.

It is not a classification for coal. Coal is classified according to size.

Size.............minimum..........maximum

Chestnut..........7/8...............1 1/2
Pea.................9/16................7/8
Buckwheat........3/8................9/16
Rice.................3/16................3/8
Barley...............3/32...............3/16

Size is measured in inches.

Sourdough
06-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Thank You Rick, I really wanted to know the answer to the questions. Thank you for a good answer. No, a perfect answer. The Twinkie is in the mail.

There is a small part of me that sometimes is sorry for the annoyance that I can be, but it passes very quickly. And then I have this desire to again drive Rick crazy.......:rolleyes:

tsitenha
06-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Just a bit more topic on the "head" question.
on wooden sailing ships there were a carved "figure head" of an animal, person, mythical being etc.. early ships had eyes painted on, hopefully allowing the ship to see danger that was comming up.
The dunny was located on the webbing that extended from the bow side of the ship to the jib, so that the captains cabin which is at the rear would be less subject to smell and effluences.