PDA

View Full Version : Making Fire From Binoculars

Pict
05-31-2008, 10:58 AM
This morning the kids and I hiked off to the back yard to MAKE FIRE! This is my son's favorite backyard activity.

We did it a little different this time. We used my Bushnell Custom Compac binoculars, a little charcloth, some jute twine, and a tinderball left over from our last adventure in the bush. The jute probably wasn't necessary but I wanted a sure thing for the video.

The important thing to remember about using binoculars for firemaking is that you have to be able to take the lense off in the bush without destroying your binoculars. I have several pairs that would make this very difficult. Fortunately the little Bushnell's are easy to take apart and put back together. The other thing that makes this easier is to carry a small portion of charcloth in the binocular case. I have a little plastic bag of the stuff taped to the inside of the case for just such an eventuality.

If you think ahead and have sunlight and dry tinder you can have a fire in short order.

Making Fire From Binoculars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4V1yU7K1Rs)

Mac

Rick
05-31-2008, 11:09 AM
As usual, good stuff! Your eyeglasses should work as well. You might have to add a bit of water to the lens but you might give that a try.

Alpine_Sapper
05-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Totally awesome post, bro. Thanks for sharing it.

crashdive123
05-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for another great post Pict.

dragonjimm
05-31-2008, 05:06 PM
way cooool....