PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from my neck of the woods!

WiccanSpirit
02-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and i didn't see a thread where we could introduce ourselves so i figured that i should do so now. lol I live in Canada, in a small town so hunting is a way of life for me. I grew up in the bush so i had to learn everything i could without causing my dad grief! lol didn't work. hehe
I have a question, lol has anyone ever cleaned a partridge? My dad always told me that whatever you kill, be sure YOU are the one who is gonna clean it!:eek: So what about you guys?

Chris
02-19-2007, 03:46 PM
All birds have roughly the same anatomy. Cut off the head & feet, pluck, drain all the blood, pull out the internal organs.

WiccanSpirit
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
All birds have roughly the same anatomy. Cut off the head & feet, pluck, drain all the blood, pull out the internal organs.

:) Well hi there Chris! Thanks for replying to my post. The way my dad taught me to clean a partridge was not in that way. lol We always had to stand on the wings with our hands on the birds feet and pull. lol Then after the breast was exposed, you just pull it off the body. :eek: sorry for being so descriptive! That's the way my ancestors did it.

Minwaabi
02-20-2007, 06:17 PM
If you don't mind my asking, who would your ancestors be? Or do you mean your parents/grandparents?

WiccanSpirit
02-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Hello Minwaabi, i was indeed talking about my grandparents. I am half Algonquin so i have learned alot about how to survive in the bush. I am very proud of my native heritage. :)

Minwaabi
02-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Ah, I'm part Chippewa. Depending on who you ask I'm either 1/8 or 1/16. Unfortunately my family has a real bad habit of disowning people for trivial things and that side of the family doesn't talk to me or my parents so I don't have a lot of knowledge of how my ancestors did things. I've been trying to learn though because I am proud of my native heritage as well. (That and I love the wild).

echos
02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I just keep the breast meat on those littler birds. They are hardely worth the effort , with all the cleaning. However , I find birds easy to clean. Better than a bear.

Bowcatz
02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Nice to meet everyone.

Hi, I'm Charlotte. A White woman from Mississippi. 48 years old. Nice meeting you all. Just found this site a week ago myself.

Been into hunting and fishing and survival knowledge my whole life. As prices get higher and job security gets shakier, I'm really getting into the primitive technology now. Want to learn it all and hone the natural talents I have. I don't see Social Security being there for me when I am ready to retire, and the skills I am sharpening now will help out greatly.

Down south, we hunt wooddducks, quail, and dove. These are are very small birds. Woodducks have beautiful feathers, too. The woodduck's small breast is pulled off and skinned. The feathers are great for tying flies wet and dry (which I do.) The rest of the tasty meat is great for soup making or for flavorful broths to cook rice in.

echos
02-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello to all and nice to meet all the new members. Glad to see Canada represented too.

WiccanSpirit
02-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Thank you so much for the warm welcome echos. And minwaabi, i have the same problem with the family fighting! LOL what is it with us? Must be the native blood that makes us so hard-headed! lol And it's very nice to meet you Charlotte (hope i spelled that right!) :)

LarryB
03-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi and Welcome, WiccanSpirit! I learned the same trick you use for birds, when I was about 15 when my older hunting buddy showed me how to do it. :) I had been cleanin' them the older fashioned way with pluckin' & guttin' and all until he smartened me up. However, I still save the little drumsticks and roast 'em over the coals of a slow bush fire too, along with the fine breasts of Mr. Pat, once or twice a year. :cool:
When I was about four or five, I spent most of my time being a native wannabe. I read anything and everything about the true caretakers of this land, that I could get my wee hands on. It didn't stop when I went to school either. I studied everything on the way home from insects to trees to tracks to creeks, birds, wildflowers, and about anything else I could get my eyes on outdoors. We lived near the edge of town so the bush was always, right there for me...

Hi there, Bowcatz! Nice to have you here with us. Great to have some womenfolk interplay in here with such kool topics as this forum raises. Sure don't sound to me like yer afraid of snakes n spiders and such either! :D Ya gotta like that in a woman!

I'm new here too and live in Ontario, where there's plenty of wild bush left to get lost in. It's great to communicate with others who share our interests in our own survival, on this neat forum. I'm glad I found it.

lb

snowduck
03-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Hello everyone Just found yall and have enjoyed the site. Im from West Tennessee. I have hunted and fished as long as i can remember, although less and less as i get older(to much work).

Guardian
03-15-2007, 07:16 PM
White, black, red. Who cares? I am from the south. Southern California. I love survival. I just wanted to say hello. Charlotte you say white like it is a bad thing. Being a racist idiot is a bad thing. We should all be proud of who we are and where we came from. In doing that we may learn to be proud of everyone else.

oldsoldier
05-09-2009, 09:52 PM
WiccanSpirit. Welcome and merrily met.

Runs With Beer
05-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the forum.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and i didn't see a thread where we could introduce ourselves so i figured that i should do so now. lol I live in Canada, in a small town so hunting is a way of life for me. I grew up in the bush so i had to learn everything i could without causing my dad grief! lol didn't work. hehe
I have a question, lol has anyone ever cleaned a partridge? My dad always told me that whatever you kill, be sure YOU are the one who is gonna clean it!:eek: So what about you guys?
i was taught to use the birds and ground hogs or other "Fat" bearing animals for fuel as well as food. do you render the bird fat to burn in an oil lamp,or to heat stones for warmth. and to cook food?

chiye tanka
05-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Aho mitakuye oyasin, and welcome aboard.

Rick
05-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Guys this thread is over 2 years old.

crashdive123
05-10-2009, 03:46 PM
OP must have been spirited away over the years.

DOGMAN
05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
The Wiccan Spirit lives on....

Gray Wolf
05-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Didn't bother looking if I welcomed you back then, But you haven't posted for over 2 years, so I guess you left us. Bye.

chiye tanka
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I meant to do that. I was testing you guys.:innocent:

Ken
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I meant to do that. I was testing you guys.:innocent:

*turns to face witness*

Q. "Deputy, when you attended the academy, were you given instruction in investigative techniques?" :closedeyes:

A. "Yes, I was." :detective:

Q. "And were you taught various techniques for conducting field interrogations of suspects?" :glare:

A. "Uhh, yes, I was." :sweatdrop:

Q. "And did your training in this subject include methods to observe a suspect for indications that they were not being truthful?" :sneaky2:

A. "Um, ah, yes, it did." :sweatingbullets:

Q. "And do you recall what those specific indicators are?" :shifty:

A. "Yes. Uhh, yes, I do." :confused1:

Q. "And do those indicators include feigned confusion and profuse prespiration"? :glare:

A. "Can you please repeat the question........" :dodge:

Q. "Sir, do those indicators include feigned confusion and profuse prespiration"? :whistling:

A. *I hate lawyers.* Uh, ah, yes. :blush:

Q. "The very same indicators that you are now yourself demonstrating on the witness stand?" :sneaky2:

A. "Um, no, uh not really......" :pinch:

Jurors:
:noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway:
:noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway:

Q. "Deputy, was that really just a "test" you administered? Were you really just "TESTING the guys", as you testified on direct examination, Deputy? :rolleyes: Please remember, sir, that you are under oath!" :eyepoke:

A. "Uh, Judge, can I have a restroom break and a moment to call MY lawyer?" :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

chiye tanka
05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Remember when I said you weren't a bad guy for an attorney?

I LIED!!!!:sneaky2:

Ken
05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Remember when I said you weren't a bad guy for an attorney?

I LIED!!!!:sneaky2:

Wow! Even when you're NOT under oath, huh? :innocent:

chiye tanka
05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
You know how it is, lie and swear to it.:toomany:

DOGMAN
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Bump...lets see how long we can keep this intro alive

Ken
05-14-2009, 07:57 AM

Per Jason's request -Bump

oldsoldier
05-14-2009, 08:35 AM
okay Ken......Bump

Ken
05-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Bump 4. Happy, Jason?

DOGMAN
05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I too am feeling that old Wiccan Spirit

oldsoldier
05-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Jason is that anything like the moonshine spirit?? ( only joking but had to say something) ..... Bump

DOGMAN
05-15-2009, 10:16 AM
very similar to moonshine.....

Alpine_Sapper
05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey, you gotta give props to anything that can get a bunch of naked women dancing in a circle, whether it's wicca, shine, or a fat wad of cash. Same end result. :)

chiye tanka
05-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey, you gotta give props to anything that can get a bunch of naked women dancing in a circle, whether it's wicca, shine, or a fat wad of cash. Same end result. :)

I like the way you think!:drool:

uvajed
05-15-2009, 04:59 PM

I just joined today. Welcome from one noob to another! We have so many turkeys running around, I'm tempted to bag a couple.....

DOGMAN
05-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Welcome uvajed

Rick
05-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Uvajed? Wow, that's like the opposite of Dejavu!

Ken
05-17-2009, 06:14 PM
A little BUMP. For Jason.

DOGMAN
05-17-2009, 06:53 PM
tip it in...score

DOGMAN
05-20-2009, 01:24 AM

DOGMAN
05-20-2009, 01:24 AM

DOGMAN
05-20-2009, 01:25 AM

DOGMAN
05-20-2009, 01:26 AM

999!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laughingbeetle
05-20-2009, 01:26 AM

Ken
06-02-2009, 11:47 PM

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs133.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

DOGMAN
06-03-2009, 12:47 AM
take this to the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
06-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Awwww, Jason! Do I always have to take care of you? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs133.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Ken
06-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Jason! Bumping this tread was your idea, remember? C'mon, hit that "submit reply" key. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs133.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/)