PDA

View Full Version : Tea Lovers

crashdive123
05-30-2008, 07:19 PM
HERBAL TEAS FROM PLANTS AROUND US AND THEIR BENEFITS

Persimmon Tea:The leaves when dried and crushed make a fine strong tea. Can be used all year round. Rich in vitamin C. Used as a healthful tonic.

Sassafras Tea:Boil fresh roots after washing, until water turns reddish brown. Can be sliced and dried for later use. Claimed by some to be a blood thinner, a blood purifier, to help bronchitis, a stimulating spring tonic. Mostly it is used for pure enjoyment.

Birch Tea (Wintergreen): Black, yellow and white birch. Dried leaves can be used year round. A large handful of fresh leaves steeped in hot water was drunk 1 to 2 cups a day for rheumatism and headaches. Said to reduce pain of passing kidney stones, and a fever reducer. Cold it was used as a mouthwash.

Blackberry/Raspberry Tea: The dried mature leaves of these brambles make a good tea. Used to help control diarrhea, as a blood purifier and tonic. Use all year round.

Blueberry Tea: The dried mature leaves are steeped until cool and drunk 1 to 2 cups per day as a blood purifier and tonic. Also used to help inflamed kidneys and increase the flow of urine. Somewhat bitter. Use all year round.

Alfalfa Tea: The dried and powdered leaves and f heads make a very nutritious tea, but it is somewhat bland. We suggest mixing them with normal teas to stretch them and add nutrition. Its vitamin content was the reason it was used. Used all year round.

Wild Strawberry Tea: >Use dried leaves normally. Pour several cups boiling water over a handful of fresh leaves in the evening. Cover and let steep overnight. Strain water and reheat in the morning. Believed to help with a multitude of things, from stomach troubles, eczema, diarrhea, etc. According to experts, it is much more healthful than purchased coffee or teas. Use all year round.

Wild Rose-Hip Tea: A handful of these steeped for 10 minutes, then strained, make a healthful tea. Can be used dried or fresh in season. Instead of boiling, place a handful in cool water overnight, then stain and reheat in the morning. Use all year round. Strong Vitamin C content. Helps with Colds and the flu. Also for sore throat.

Sweet Goldenrod Tea (Anise): Can use dried or fresh leaves or fs. Makes a very flavorful tea. Pure enjoyment only!! Used all year round.

Soldier's Herb Tea: This common yard weed with green leaves and two seedie spikes was used by the colonials and Indians alike. One teaspoon of seeds per cup of boiling water steeped for 1/2 hour was used for dropsy and jaundice. A tea from fresh leaves (chopped fine), one heaping teaspoon per cup of boiling water steeped for 1/2 hour. For dried powdered leaves, use one level teaspoon and reduce time to 15 minutes. Drunk 4 to 5 times a day until relief was obtained. Used for gout, to help clean out nasal passages and to slow menstruation. Also used to expel worms. A tea cooled made from rainwater was used as an eyewash.

Ginger Tea: Good for nausea and motion sickness. Make a tea using ginger, or add some ginger to a cup of weak black tea.

Rosemary Tea: A handful of rosemary steeped for 10 minutes - this tea is good for headaches.

Herbal Cranberry Apple Tea
1 part dried cranberries (cut in small pieces)
1 part Dried Apples (cut in small pieces)
1 part hibiscus
1 part dried Chamomile
Blend together and add 1 tsp in a teaball to 1 cup of boiling water! This is so fruity and relaxing also!

TIPS:
All teas unless specified are brewed with 1 teaspoon dry material or 2 teaspoons fresh material to 1 cup of water. Always steep. This means pouring hot water over material and letting set for 5 - 15 minutes. Always dry leaves and roots out of the sun, in dark airy places. Then store in airtight containers.

Rick
05-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Nice post. Thanks!!

wareagle69
05-31-2008, 09:02 AM
great post crash, i have been picking allot of my own teas this year and drying, i know that tea from the store does not cost much so saving money really can't be factored in especially when considering the time it takes to pick your own but the health effects are greater as you posted and also just the satisfaction of using natural ingrediants is what clinches it for me...

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-31-2008, 09:50 AM
great post, thanks!

Tony uk
06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Great Info, Thanks Crash !

Leon
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Thats good stuff, i like herbal teas :)

wildWoman
06-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for taking the time to type that all, Crash! Great post.

Here's a concoction I use for our dogs when they have unspecified ailments (pulling a long face and looking miserable). Works for people too. Don't give willow tea to cats.
A heaping handful of willow bark, highbush cranberry bark, yarrow and lousewort steeped for 10 minutes in a cup of water. I guess to do it properly, the barks ought to be brought to a boil. After letting it cool down a bit and straining it, I add a little bit of dogfood and they slobber it up. It has worked really well on several occasions.
The plants have the following properties:
willow: painkiller, anti-inflammatory, anti-septic
highbush cranberry: anti-spasmodic (cramp relieving)
yarrow: styptic (stops bleeding), anti-inflammatory, stimulates circulation
woolly lousewort: mild sedative, muscle relaxant

Rick
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM
That sounds like the canine equivalent of meth.......:D

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 04:44 PM
:confused::rolleyes::pStill looking for woolly lousewort.

Rick
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't think we have that down here:

http://library.thinkquest.org/6274/Stop%20and%20Smell/Wooly%20lousewort.htm

http://www.ontariowildflower.com/woolly_lousewort.htm

Omid
06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
tea is so good...

anyone try pine needle tea?

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't think we have that down here:

http://library.thinkquest.org/6274/Stop%20and%20Smell/Wooly%20lousewort.htm

http://www.ontariowildflower.com/woolly_lousewort.htm

Us either --- no tundra or mountains in Florida. Well not yet anyway.

Rick
06-02-2008, 06:28 PM
We will when everything heats up....or....cools down.

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 06:33 PM
It'll be just my luck that life will continue on normally for the rest our (and many generations to come) lives. The economies of the world won't collapse. Global warming will be proven to be a myth. Same for global cooling. Guess I'll have to travel to the woolly lousewort.

Rick
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
And just what am I supposed to do with all this food I've saved up? And the BOBs? There had better be some kind of SHTF, mister. I'm not going through this life without strife. No sirree, Bob. I'm prepared for disaster and there had better be one! Pronto!

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I guess if we stick around long enough somebody will convince us that there is.:D:eek::eek::D

wildWoman
06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
It'll be just my luck that life will continue on normally for the rest our (and many generations to come) lives. The economies of the world won't collapse. Global warming will be proven to be a myth. Same for global cooling. Guess I'll have to travel to the woolly lousewort.

Just make sure you bring your tomatoes when drift by here on your lousewort quest!! We're the place with the piles of eggs outside the cabin.

Rick
06-02-2008, 06:54 PM
:D:D My tomato plants arrived today!! Yeah!! They are sitting out acclimating and will go in the ground tomorrow. Bigger Yeah!!!

crashdive123
06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Checked the plants today. Four varieties of heirlooms (six plants total). We've got well over 100 tomatoes out so far, and many more blossoms. Will snap some pics as they rippen. WW - I'll be sure to bring some by. *looks around - skidoo, skidoo. Nope. Jetski, Jetski. Hmmm.*

buttercup
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
ah, you beat me Crash with your 100 - I have only 80 tomato plants out, several with blooms and a couple with green tennis ball size tomatoes.

BraggSurvivor
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Sure rub it it.....my grass is just starting to get green. :D

crashdive123
06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I think you have me beat Buttercup. I've only got 6 plants with about 100 pieces of fruit on them when I checked the other day. Today the plants are about a foot taller. With just the two of us we'll have alot of tomatoes. Signed up today at the county extension office to take a class in canning.

Sam Reeves
06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I drink close to a gallon of sweet tea a day. 3/4 cup of sugar. I can't drink straight green tea so i mix it half and half with regular black tea.