PDA

View Full Version : Pine Resin Salve?

Twig
04-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Ok so I’ve collected a small supply of pine resin. I’ve rendered it by using some tin cans. I took a bigger can and poked some holes in the bottom set it on top the smaller one I proceeded to light it on fire and let it burn down. Well today I added equal parts by weight of resin to coconut oil the 25% of the weight of the resin and coconut oil in beeswax. So I used 50 grams of resin 50 grams of oil and 25 grams of beeswax. I cannot get the resin to completely dissolve. I’ve got a small blobbed hoop of resin in the bottom of the jar. Anyway any ideas? I’ve got plenty if I need to start over. Do you have any basic recipes you would not mind sharing? I just want to get a good base for the right mixture of oil resin and wax I’ll add fancy stuff later like peppermint ect. I don’t know if this is really brushcraft but I use to use pine salve. My grandma use to make it but she is no longer with us.

crashdive123
04-28-2019, 04:50 PM
It is possible that there is debris in the resin that will not liquify. You may want to strain it through something like cheese cloth.

LowKey
04-29-2019, 10:09 PM
You lit the resin on fire?
I think you just want to melt it.

crashdive123
04-30-2019, 07:05 AM
I missed that part - I thought you made a makeshift double boiler. Yeah, don't burn it.