PDA

View Full Version : Fermenting Milk

Leon
05-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Please excuse this if its in the wrong forum...

Anyway i was wondering if you have any methods of fermenting milk (cow, sheep, goat, etc).

Fermenting it increases the shelf-life which is always good in a survival situation but the only method i know comes from mongolia - fermented yaks milk. Basically put the milk in a vat and spit in it, leave it for a while and you get fermented milk.

However that method does not sound too appertising to me... Although it is worth knowing.

Actually i have a second method... For making Paneer - now thats easy and much more appertising (providing you have some muslin). Boil some whole milk (you can add lemon juice or salt or whatever for some mild flavour), wait for the curd to appear then pour it through some muslin (or even a knackered tshirt perhaps?- if thats all you have) and leave it to drip then once thats done wrap it up and leave it, either with a weight on it or just chill it overnight. It can be eaten within 30min of pressing down once its finished draining however.

Very mild so if your not a big fan of cheese (like me) then its a great method... can't believe i nearly forgot about this!

Im not 100% about the shelf life but its got to be longer than milk itself.

Rick
05-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Any cultured dairy product such as yogurt is basically fermented milk.

Take a look at this wiki. At the bottom is a chart of cultured dairy products with links to the various items and an explanation on how they are made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermented_milk_products

Hope that helps.