PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Can Longevity?

Matt11b
05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey all this is my 1st post im new here.. I made 2 hobo wood stoves, 1 big coffee can and one small one, and was curious as to how well they will hold up? I boiled water in the small one and after it cooled the can looks no different, except for the black char marks.. How long can I expect these things to last? Thanks!

Matt

Sarge47
05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi. Now get your hind parts over to the "introductions" section in the "General Chat" forum & introduce yourself properly. Not to do so is a sign of "disrespect.:cool:

crashdive123
05-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Ahhhh. The kinder, gentler Sarge.:D:D

GVan
05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Now that the Sarge has had his say,... I had a stove that I used for about two years before it had rusted out. I was hard on it and didn't take care of it.

trax
05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Ahhhh. The kinder, gentler Sarge.:D:D

Oh you bet. Ya don't be dissin' the Sarge dudes and of course, regarding your question. How often you using it and how well you take care of it, but you should get a couple of camping seasons out of it, I would think.

crashdive123
05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
....and fear not Matt11b. If you drink as much coffee as some here, you will always have a replacement handy. (we'll get to the bacon later)

monkeyboy
05-29-2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGXv7buNUMY

check:Dthis link .
buzz

bulrush
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Keep the can dry, and dry it quickly after washing the can, and it should last 5 years or more with occasional use. Are you talking daily use, or using it like 10 times per summer when you camp?

Matt11b
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Well in an emergency or some shtf situation it would be used daily.. But other than that just a few times a month...Thanks for the replies all...

Matt

Rick
06-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Actually, you wouldn't even need to use it then....necessarily. You could always build a ground fire rather than using the can.

Ken
06-02-2008, 06:12 PM
A piece of galvanized heat resistant stove-pipe will probably work just as well. :)

Chicago Dan
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
As posted by others the real villain is rust. How well you take care of it will increase the life considerably. Another factor is the heat itself. Of course if your a pyro and cooking dry over an inferno than no it won't last too long.
Then again if you use reasonable heat and have the pot at least partially filled with liquid it can last a long time. I had one in my yard for various tasks(well taken care of) for about 3 years. Some of the more recent ones though seem to have shorter useful live and I barely get a year out of them with mild use. I guess they just don't make em like they used to. I am now saving my older ones in case of emergency.