PDA

View Full Version : New electronic tag and license system

aflineman
01-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Oregon has rolled out a new electronic tag and license system for hunting and fishing. All on your smart phone, with an app. I opted for the paper printout instead. Let someone else be the beta tester the first couple of years for the phone stuff. Used to be on waterproof paper, but supposedly that system was to expensive to maintain. Now it is just an 8-1/2x11 sheet of paper for license and each tag. Oh well, I don't like having my phone on in the woods. To many folks decide to call and text me at inopportune moments. I carry one, but it ain't on. Supposedly you will be able to tag your animals with a photo and stuff, but I will let others beta test the system, and keep getting paper tags for as long as I can.

WY21lmb
01-01-2019, 08:57 PM
I bet it is a LONG time before Wyoming tries such a licensing system. I doubt that it will ever be economical to erect enough cell towers to provide statewide coverage. Maybe there is some new technology on the horizon, but until then Wyoming hunters, game wardens, and more importantly game animals, go where commercial cell signals don’t.

aflineman
01-01-2019, 11:11 PM
This is supposed to work offline, but since no one had any say so or testing, who knows. Been a problem for the fishermen reporting today, and even getting a license. We shall see.

kyratshooter
01-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Deer tagging has been electronic in KY for more than 15 years. No physical tags, no check in stations.

You shoot the deer you are expected to call it in immediately, they prefer while you are standing there with the steam still coming off the dead carcass.

You do your reporting on phone and with our system they give you a new tag number after you have called. Our system allows limit of 5, but only one buck.

However, after you kill #5 they give you bonus tags over the phone for unlimited does, one tag at a time. Shoot/call, shoot/call.....

In KY the only time you are completely out of cell phone coverage is if you get a mountain between you and the tower.

We have 100 counties and 95 game officers to cover them. I have never seen a game officer except on WMA land. They are over worked just keeping up with the public land hunting and seldom venture onto private land.

Many folks go by the theme that does are unlimited, why bother with calling? If someone stops you on the way home you still have your "electronic tag" when they call to see if you are legal. "Sorry officer, I forgot to call!"

I suppose it would backfire on you it they caught you with 6 deer in the back of the truck.

At any rate when you look at the numbers for the deer harvest in KY the figures are going to be about 50% out of whack due to people not reporting their kills.

How do they control the deer heard???

They don't, it has been out of control since the early 1970s! Rutting bucks attack vehicles in the suburbs!

First weekend in November I drove to town on I-75 and honestly counted one dead deer each mile of highway right up to the bridge over the Ohio River into down town Cincinnati!

The only "big game" they really worry about is the elk heard. They make big money off the elk heard and reserve most of the elk tags for out of state hunters at several thousand $$$ per pop.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
01-02-2019, 05:04 PM
We still just have the old waterproof paper tags to cut out and fill out. We have one buck counties, two buck counties, three buck counties, No does counties, 3, 4, and 5 deer counties. Sometimes you need a Philadelphia Lawyer to fill out the tags if you hunt in more than one place. The only time I've seen a game warden is while fishing. I've never had a deer checked or a license check during hunting season or while hunting. I've never seen a Game Warden on our place unless I called and asked for one to come out. That's been a long time ago.

We do have a Wildlife Resource Document that has to be filled out if you give game or fish to someone else. Evidence of sex (I prefer gender) must remain with the quartered carcass until its final disposition (what ever that means). Of course it is illegal to waste game resources. The date and place of the kill has to be recored on the license and the tag stays with the deer. I've heard that the hard core GWs will check licenses and if you are missing tags with no entries it's worth a citation. Never had it happen but I'm too old to want to find out if it's true or not.

I hope we don't go electronic. There's really no reason for anyone to know exactly where on the earth each deer in Texas was killed. As has been said, the game and fish departments don't have a handle on the deer herd. We have two red lights in town, I saw a dead doe off the side of the main intersection in town that other day. That intersection just happens to be the dividing line between where does can be killed and where they are off limits.... I sonder which way she was going?

Alan

kyratshooter
01-03-2019, 01:32 PM
You have to be careful when reporting road kills in Kentucky.

You can be fined for killing deer with a sub-caliber vehicle.

JohnLeePettimore
01-03-2019, 06:38 PM
I'm not a deer hunter, but I hear Game & Fish people on the radio all the time. As far as I can tell, Arkansas makes a lot of effort in managing their deer. How many, and what kind you can harvest changes year-to-year. I think they've started e-tagging, too.