PDA

View Full Version : Camping

Alan R McDaniel Jr
11-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Somebody going camping got me thinking...

When I was in high school we didn't camp much in the Summertime because of way too many snakes and mosquitos to make it fun. Winter in South Louisiana is really not too severe and allow for good camping weather.

I'd take my shotgun, ammo, a canvas tarp (maybe a sleeping bag in dry weather) and of course fire starters (matches in waterproof container and a candle). Fires were difficult at times because everything is always wet down there and before you make a fire you had to find some "land". Usually a big oak tree would provide some "land" and the only trouble with a tiny island in a swamp, was that most everything else with a foot or belly was already there. But, in winter there weren't that many residents that weren't edible.

Of course I was in school (or college) and my trips were only one or two nights. I was tired but nothing beyond normal or that could not be cured with an afternoon nap.

Fast forward 45 years...

Camping. Truck, Tent to sleep in, Tent to keep stuff from the back of the truck in, air mattress, generator to run coffee pot and more importantly the CPAP machine. Food, lots of food and water, Warm clothes, funnel with tubing to run through hole in the tent to pee fifteen times a night without going outside. Cell phone, extra cell phone....

Spend three hours setting up camp, spend three hours resting from setting up camp, spend three hours cooking and eating food, fixing coffee pot for the morning, and cleaning up, sit by camp fire for three hours, toss and turn for most of the night while intermittently peeing in funnel. Fall asleep exhausted at 4 am. Wake up at 8 AM to watch the sunrise (sunrise was at 7 AM) and drink coffee while trying to decide whether to break camp or just leave it all there. Break camp and drive home. Wife asks, "Did you have fun?" Of course I had fun.

Alan

granite7
11-29-2018, 12:35 AM
...funnel with tubing to run through hole in the tent to pee fifteen times a night without going outside. Cell phone, extra cell phone....

This made me laugh. I’ve got another 20 years before I’m at that point, but I have contemplated keeping a Gatorade bottle with my tent for that very reason.

madmax
11-29-2018, 06:46 AM
LOL. Yeah. Some of us in the Kracaneuner Tribe have had days like that. The funnel and tubing is a new one though. I think a Gatorade bottle is the preferred method. One of us had to tie a rope around a tree to get up out of his chair. He carried that on his morning hike too. I don't know why...ahem. I just hollered for somebody to lend me a hand getting out of my chair when my back was bad. At first they were reluctant, like I said, "Somebody pull my finger." Sometimes setting up tents and tarps are a 2 person event.

It sure helps to have the ageless Crashdive and Yellowyak there. They have no problem picking up and setting down all that cast iron for days (I bought a Lodge Dutch oven table recently. WOW! What a help that is.)

A couple of us have Dr's orders not to go out solo but nobody pays attention to them.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
11-29-2018, 08:47 AM
A number of years ago, at a garage sale, I found a big pile of that clear plastic tubing. it was almost free so I got it without knowing what I would use it for. I used some for the above described purpose. I also installed "Funnels" in my deer blinds with tubing running down into 2 liter bottles with the bottoms cut out buried in the ground under the blinds. I put a length in each vehicle in case I needed a little gas (that was before all the tanks had those stupid anti theft tanks). Without knowing what I'd use it for I used it all up.

I'm not real confident in my manual dexterity in manipulating a Gatorade bottle cap in the middle of the night. I just make sure the tubing is stretched out downhill from the tent. It also keeps people from setting up their tents downhill from me!

Alan

Rick
11-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Oh, man. I got a good laugh out of that. I'm quickly approach the Residence Inn stage of my life.

Those small lengths of 1/2 inch tubing work great to duct tape to the end of the shop vac hose and clean out the water heater when you change the heating elements. I've used that trick a number of times and keep a piece on hand just for that. Use the smaller shop vac hose.

As for a funnel and hose in the tent. What a disaster that would be. I have this vision of knocked over bottles, tubes not in the bottle, etc. Do funnels have lids 'cause I don't want to be accused of leaving the lid up. That would not be good at all.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
11-29-2018, 11:20 AM
I used to be concerned about filling the funnel faster than gravity could let it flow through the tubing... That's pretty much a non issue now.

If I ever clean out the water heater I'll remember your trick, but I'm not going bring it up around here lest someone get to thinking it needs to be done...

Of course, I suppose I could just buy a box of depends and not worry about tubing or Gatorade bottles!

Alan

kyratshooter
11-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Camping with my re-enactment crew as age crept up on them was an adventure. It finally got to the point that camp was nearly empty every night.

Everyone came in and set up their demonstration camps, totally historically correct mind you, then went to the motel for the night!

The only motels near a couple of the big sites I worked were Red Roof Inns.

We started calling the old guys Red Roof Rangers.

crashdive123
12-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Still love camping. Can't do all that I was once able to do, but I try and stay busy at camp.

yuandanzou
01-18-2019, 03:42 AM
This is something that I never knew. What is the botheration of Rsgoldfast osrs a mini bold replacement used skilling method?

pete lynch
01-18-2019, 05:29 AM
what??????!!!!

Alan R McDaniel Jr
01-18-2019, 09:15 AM
The English/Chinese translator app must have gone haywire.

Alan

Rick
01-18-2019, 09:58 AM
They are from California. Hmm. Same thing I guess. I've never been able to understand Dianne Feinstein. Just sayin'.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
01-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Maybe it was her driver?

Alan

Rick
01-19-2019, 09:33 PM
I never did trust those wacky guys hiding behind those hats. Next thing you know they'll be sendin' spam bots over here. Hey, wait a minute......

https://www.hippostcard.com/uploads/cache/efbfd8a8024987026ff1129f5af207ba-460x293.png