PDA

View Full Version : Minor rant:There is so such place as "The Moab"

donny h
07-26-2007, 11:51 PM
This really is a petty little rant, but I have to get it off my chest, and it may help you from seeming foolish if you visit the area, which you should, believe me, you really should see southern Utah in your lifetime:

There is no desert called "The Moab". It's not a big deal that Bear Grylis referred to "The Moab" in his show, but since he did so, I've heard others do the same, not just here, but in culture in general.

Moab is not a desert, it is a city in southeastern Utah on the Colorado Plateau, a vast area running from the Four Corners region down to Joshua Tree in California.

There is a lot of land around Moab, some of it is desert, none of it is called "The Moab". It may be called Canyonlands NP, Manti La-Sals, Canyon Rims, Bald Mesa, Arches NP, Castle Valley, or any of a number of names, most correctly it is referred to as the aforementioned Colorado Plateau.

Rant over.

Come see southern Utah.:)

spiritman
07-28-2007, 10:34 PM
One of my favorite hikes is in southern Utah. Are you familiar with Hole In The Rock Road? Well there are a lot of gulches/slot canyons you can hike through and they are amazing. The names I remember are Jolly Gulch and Brimstone Gulch but there was one other that we hiked. When your in a slot canyon it's a good idea to have a walking stick or a staff, you can't avoid the rattle snakes when there is only two feet between the walls. (I'm the only person i know who always has one though)

Fog_Harbor
07-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Southern Utah - Never been so cold in August in my life! lol Beautiful place.

trax
07-30-2007, 11:22 AM
That was a darn fine rant, donny h.!

Go Wolfpack!

donny h
08-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Are you familiar with Hole In The Rock Road?

Yes, I love that area, my favorite tiny town in Utah is Boulder, and my favorite campground is Calf Creek.

Last time I went down HITR road, it was the worst washboard I have ever seen, I had to turn back at the 40 mile mark when parts started falling off my vehicle, the dust was bad, and it was hot. I loved it. If it's easy to get to it's probably not worth being there.

I haven't hiked any slot canyons off HITR, but I have in the San Rafael Swell, another awesome area in Utah. I find the slot canyons to be mysterious, spooky, and wonderful.

To everybody: exploring slot canyons is a sport in itself, and Utah is the capitol of that sport. Google 'canyoneering Utah'.

donny h
08-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Southern Utah - Never been so cold in August in my life! lol Beautiful place.

Cold in August? That probably means elevation, sooooo let me guess, you were at Bryce, or the Islands in the Sky/Dead Horse area of Canyonlands.

Everybody:You know that scene at the end of the movie 'Thelma and Louise' where they drive off a massive cliff? That's Dead Horse Point.

trax
08-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Utah's on my list for next year, actually donny, so thanks for the info. So far in the U.S. of A. I've seen bits of Montana, Washington (state) North Dakota, and Minnesota. The welcome has always been much appreciated, by the way and I'll gladly visit them all again. So far, Montana's been my fave. I hope someone's scraped up Thelma and Louise before I get to Utah, lol

owl_girl
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Id have to do a lot of research if I was to go to Utah, I’m totally unfamiliar with that terrain.

trax
08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Me too, and I'm going to :)

spiritman
08-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Yes, I love that area, my favorite tiny town in Utah is Boulder, and my favorite campground is Calf Creek.

Last time I went down HITR road, it was the worst washboard I have ever seen, I had to turn back at the 40 mile mark when parts started falling off my vehicle, the dust was bad, and it was hot. I loved it. If it's easy to get to it's probably not worth being there.

I haven't hiked any slot canyons off HITR, but I have in the San Rafael Swell, another awesome area in Utah. I find the slot canyons to be mysterious, spooky, and wonderful.

I LOVE Calf Creek Falls! There's a cool little hike and the water is tons of fun!

I think I mixed up my slot canyons though, I think jolly gulch is on the border of Zions natl park and there's a 10-15 mile trail that loops around it on it's way from one end of Zions to another. Also, If you hit the 40 mile mark you probably went at least 30 miles past the trail-head for some amazing hikes. I think one of other slots is crazy horse. I wish I remembered the names for the rest we went through.

I take it you liked San Rafael?