PDA

View Full Version : where to get actual med supplies

commoguy
05-27-2008, 01:32 AM
such as 150mL lactated ringer also hetastarch. i need to replenish my personal cls bag.

tacmedic
05-27-2008, 06:11 AM
commoguy- In the US all of those things can only be sold with a physician order or prescription. So if you have an understanding physician you might be able to get him/her to write you a script and have a hospital pharmacy fill it as most mom and pop pharmacies aren't going to stock IV fluids. In regards to the hetastarch, I don't know of anyone that uses it anymore outside of the burn units. Plain old saline is pretty much the fluid of choice for fluid replacement. Massive volume expanders like colloids/large molecule carbohydrates (like hetastarch) have pretty much fallen out of favor in the emergent setting.

GVan
05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey cuz, Unless you know exactly what ya'll are doing with that kr*p, you could cause more harm than good, so just be careful.

Oh yea, in most of the uncivilized world, you can only get it through a doctors perscription.

commoguy
05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey cuz, Unless you know exactly what ya'll are doing with that kr*p, you could cause more harm than good, so just be careful.

Oh yea, in most of the uncivilized world, you can only get it through a doctors perscription.

im not going to say i know it all but ive been through army combat lifesaver course 5 times....things that may save my life or my buddies i make it a point to remember. i also had a very good medic friend who when he was drunk liked to give medic lessons and hey did you know this talks lol. i did learn quite a bit.

Alpine_Sapper
05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
im not going to say i know it all but ive been through army combat lifesaver course 5 times....things that may save my life or my buddies i make it a point to remember. i also had a very good medic friend who when he was drunk liked to give medic lessons and hey did you know this talks lol. i did learn quite a bit.

I read in another post about you talking to your wife or something that you are deployed....Make friends with your unit medic. If they won't willingly give up the supplies just raid his bag when he's gone.

tacmedic
05-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Not trying to be a killjoy but, I would be a little suspect of the skills taught to me by a "drunk" medic. lol.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, I second what a few others said. 1) If you don't know how to use it properly it might hurt you. However, you've been qualified as a lifesaver so you probably are familiar with starting an IV, etc. Stick with saline. I used to have it in my personal bag. Ringers might be ok, but all you need for what you'd be using it for. 2) You need a physician's license to purchase that equipment.

RBB
05-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I've wondered about this some. My wife's job requires her to get rid of all meds that are not used at her place of employment. As the state has required them to quit using their on-site incinerator - about twice a year she brings home about a bushel basket worth of meds and asks me to get rid of them. I burn them up in the wood stove, but I have thought it might not be a bad idea to save some of the antibiotics at least. Problem is - it could be real trouble for my wife's employment - if found out. So far, I've just burnt them all.

Actually, the whole thing is a pain in the neck - her having the responsibility for getting rid of this stuff - and no real way to do it at work.

crashdive123
05-28-2008, 07:38 AM
RBB - In addition to being concerned about trouble for your wife, be very very careful with any drug/medicine and the expiration date. Some get weaker and aren't as effective, but some actually get stronger and could cause an accidental overdose.

Rick
05-28-2008, 07:47 AM
RBB - I don't know if she is in a clinic setting or hospital type setting but have her talk to the drug rep. The rep should be able to dispose of the medications for her. As I understand it (Lord, knows I've never been wrong) pharmacies routinely return out of date meds that did not sell or customer returned meds to the drug companies for disposal.

I would think the Minnesota Department of Public Heath has guidelines on how her place of business should dispose of it. She could be in violation of state law.

Just some thoughts.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-28-2008, 09:53 AM
For gosh sakes, don't take antibiotics just because you have them to take. That's why we have so many resistant strains of bacteria now. They have to be used correctly.

Ole WV Coot
05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
A couple of band aids, in all honesty that's about all most folks know how to use. Can't tell what will happen, worked with a combat vet, bronze star that I knew of for sure. I lost the end of my little finger, he fainted and I had to load him up and drive myself to the ER. At any given time anyone can fold up, lots won't admit it but they do.

wareagle69
05-31-2008, 09:25 AM
i am lucky cuz the wifes twin is a nurse the wife is a vet tech and we do allot of work at a wildlife centre so i get my medical supplies mostly free

crashdive123
05-31-2008, 03:39 PM
When you said your wife (vet tech) gets some meds for you I had this picture in my mind of Rob Schneider in "The Animal".

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2001_The_Animal/rob_schneider_the_animal_001.jpg

wareagle69
05-31-2008, 03:49 PM
your a funny man crash