PDA

View Full Version : Burglar Proof Your Home

crashdive123
05-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Since we were talking about it in another thread I thought about it some more. It is difficult to "proof" anything, but often criminals will go for the easy target. Since I do my best at refusing to be a victim, let's share ideas that work. It has already been mentioned to not leave ladders laying around that could give a criminal easy access to higer windows. Also keeping the bushes around your house cut back so that somebody can't hide behind them while gaining access via windows. What are some things that you do?

nell67
05-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Use shatter resistant laminant on your windows,so that thieves cannot gain access through the windows,also,they suggest,if you MUST have bushes planted around your house,plant a thorny variety,no thief wants to get stuck,and leave potential DNA evidence behind.

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-26-2008, 03:12 PM
best i saw was a big sign in a window down the street, facing the sidewalk. it read, "Nothing in this house is worth your life"

Sourdough
05-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Put a nice note on the door, "Occupant is Hearing Impaired", when gone leave radio on fairly loud.

Have add-on coverage with homeowners insurance for firearms, art, jewelry, etc.

Buy a inexpensive security camera, at costco or sams........AND point the monitor out the window, so they can see them self on camera.

Sourdough
05-26-2008, 03:22 PM
best i saw was a big sign in a window down the street, facing the sidewalk. it read, "Nothing in this house is worth your life"

We had a sign: "Anyone inside this gate, Will be shot to DEATH, without WARNING".

trax
05-26-2008, 04:23 PM
"violaters will be prosecuted", "prosecutors will be violated"

Rick
05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Someone on here has a whole section on his web site about home safety, including how to not become a victim of a burglar. Let's see now. Who was that? Who could that be? ....I know it was under Safety Information then Home Safety. Who was that?

http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/dennert/archives/Down-arrow.gif

Arkansas_Ranger
05-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Outdoor lighting. Pick up loose tools, bricks, and stones that could be used as an opportunistic means to break a window. Change the locks on your house when you move in. Use dual core deadbolts on doors with windows. Request a special patrol of your home by the police when you go away for vacations. We did this quite often and no one ever minded. Don't leave keys in an unlocked vehicle or in open view in a vehicle. Most likely they've got a house key of your's on it. Also, with regard to vehicles don't leave valuables lying in open view in a vehicle. Tinted windows are nice for this. For valuable mailings such as bank statements, credit card bills if you're not online have things like that sent to a post office box and check it once a week or so. I do this, and it helps prevent your mailman from putting your stuff at the wrong house (it happens accidentally), and it prevents thugs from looking in your mailbox to get your personal information. Get a big gun safe. You can fit a whole lot of stuff in there besides guns, plus you can't just pick it up and walk off with it.

crashdive123
05-26-2008, 05:58 PM
All good tips on your site Rick. Here are a few more (sorry if I duplicated any).

1. Asking for identification before talking to a stranger at your door.
2. Locking windows and doors every night.
3. Supervising construction or repair people who come to your home.
4. When purchasing expensive items such as stereo equipment or TVs, break the boxes down and store them in your garage until trash day instead of leaving them on the curb.
5. Making your home look occupied whenever you’re away. Install lights on timers to turn on and off at night. Ask your neighbors to collect your mail and papers in your absence. Keep a car parked in the driveway, if possible, and arrange for someone to mow your yard or shovel snow from your walkways.
6. Never put your home address on luggage when you’re traveling, as this alerts criminals that you’re not home. Put a business address on luggage instead.
7. Lock up valuables. It may sound obvious, but thieves know we all like to hide our most important things under the bed, in a coffee tin, or behind a bookcase. So keep passports, Social Security cards, and the like in a bank safe-deposit box or in a heavy-duty combination safe you can bolt to the floor in a closet.
8. Keep two jewelry boxes. Store inexpensive pieces in the nice case on your dresser. Stash the good bits in a safe. A thief may be fooled by the “cheap box” and not bother looking for more.
9. Lock away guns. Weapons are attractive to thieves, so if you have them in the house, hide them in a safe, just as you would conceal other valuables.
10. Make your stuff harder to sell. Use an engraving pen (sold at hardware stores) to mark big-ticket items, like electronics and computers. Prominently engrave your initials and driver’s-license number (not your Social Security number) on the back. Since many pawnshops won’t accept ID-engraved items or are required by law to report them to the police, burglars may pass on them. At the very least, you’ll have a better chance of recovering them.
11. Check the lighting. Every exterior door should be illuminated with at least a 40-watt bulb. Experts recommend easy-to-install motion-detecting light sensors (about $20 each at home-improvement stores). Thieves want anonymity,. If a spotlight shines on them the second they step on your property, they’ll keep moving. Random timers are also a good idea, especially if you typically arrive home after dark.
12. Don’t leave your garage-door opener exposed. Burglars can swipe a garage-door opener from an unlocked car and use it later to get into the house.
13. Don’t leave e-mail or phone messages saying you’re away. Forgo the “automatic vacation reply” feature on e-mail and keep a generic message on your answering machine. Use call forwarding to screen phone calls from the road.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Someone on here has a whole section on his web site about home safety, including how to not become a victim of a burglar. Let's see now. Who was that? Who could that be? ....I know it was under Safety Information then Home Safety. Who was that?

http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/dennert/archives/Down-arrow.gif

Rick, maybe you didn't notice but somehow your post had a big, red arrow get stuck to it. :p You've got some good info in there, btw.

DOGMAN
05-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Well, having a giant fence around my house with over 20 good sized dogs staked out everywhere inside the perimeter seems to be a pretty good deterrent!

The one down side is the UPS guy won't come to the door either- in fact nobody ever comes to visit. But, I don't have to worry about criminals

Arkansas_Ranger
05-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, having a giant fence around my house with over 20 good sized dogs staked out everywhere inside the perimeter seems to be a pretty good deterrent

Is this in addition to the ninja strike force?

Rick
05-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Crash - Item #3 in your post works two ways. When I worked outside, I refused to work in a home that did not have someone on site. Honest people can make honest mistakes and a misplaced wallet or tool can lead a home owner to make a wrong conclusion very quickly. And while they may be quick to blame they are slow to recant so even after they find that "stolen" item they might not come forward for fear of looking stupid. In the meantime, someone may have lost their livelihood.

And if something actually does come up stolen, you can't be blamed for it if you refused to work there without someone present.

Ken
05-26-2008, 06:07 PM
I encourage ALL OF YOU do do everything possible to ensure the apprehension of ANYONE who attempts to burglarize your home or steal your property. The more successful you are, the more job security I have. :D

DOGMAN
05-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Is this in addition to the ninja strike force?

No Ninjas- just lots of dogs and the land mines they leave behind:cool:

crashdive123
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Crash - Item #3 in your post works two ways. When I worked outside, I refused to work in a home that did not have someone on site. Honest people can make honest mistakes and a misplaced wallet or tool can lead a home owner to make a wrong conclusion very quickly. And while they may be quick to blame they are slow to recant so even after they find that "stolen" item they might not come forward for fear of looking stupid. In the meantime, someone may have lost their livelihood.

And if something actually does come up stolen, you can't be blamed for it if you refused to work there without someone present.

I agree with you. I was approaching it more from giving somebody the ability to "case" the place unfetered for a later visit.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
I encourage ALL OF YOU do do everything possible to ensure the apprehension of ANYONE who attempts to burglarize your home or steal your property. The more successful you are, the more job security I have. :D

Yes, it's people like me that keep Ken in business. ;)

Rick
05-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I knew you were. I just wanted to state the other side for anyone that works in other peoples homes like you.

Ken
05-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Yes, it's people like me that keep Ken in business. ;)

Thanks, Ranger!

Sourdough
05-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Shoot'em and leave'em......the bears will eat'em. (Feed a bear, starve a Defense Attorney).........:p:p:p

crashdive123
05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Hopeak - that's what I like about you. You're always looking for new ways to make a living. Starting a farm with geese and turkeys, and now you're getting into the bumper sticker business. Gotta love the entrepreneur spirit in you.

Assassin Pilot
05-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Here are a couple of things a lot of people need to look out for when trying to prevent people from robbing their house:

- They buy a strong lock, but a weak door-frame (a lot of robbers carry prybars)
- Don't assume that any lock will prevent burglers, as most robbers have either a set of lockpicks or a "bump key" (google it)
- Those little chains that go from door to frame can also easily be un-slid using a hangar (which many burglers know how to do)
- Windows don't have to be unlocked to be usable, anyone can put tape over a window and smash it,and then remove it (the tape prevents glass from shattering all over the ground and making noise)
- Combo locks can easily be overcome using "shims" (thin pieces of metal slid between the U-shape of the lock and the lock body, which undoes the locking mechanism)
- Lights are a robbers worst enemy, as well as areas where neighbors' houses are close (within good hearing / seeing distance)
- Burgler systems are probably the best way to prevent theft, as only about 30% of people have them, so when a robber sees it, they decide "I am not gunna risk getting caught when I can just go to the next house over and steal from that"
- Dogs are a good deterrent, the bigger / louder they are, the better they are from scaring robbers (assuming they are outside a large portion of the time)

Now I'm not saying locks don't help, because they do, but that you shouldn't rely on solely them if you want a pretty well defended house.

Sam Reeves
05-26-2008, 09:52 PM
A little yapping dog and a shotgun.

Ridge Wolf
05-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Well, judging from my over thirty years experience (off and on) in commercial industrial security, there are some really good posts here concerning home security. There are a few that I might add:
1. When you go out on the town don't use valet parking. There is always the possibily of one or more of the employees going through your glove compartment for your address off of the auto registration.
2. In addtion to using thorned shrubbery (hawthorne or roses) around the house and/or windows. excavate a shallow area (4 to 6 inches deep under the window. Fill it with large gravel. The would be thief steps on the gravel making a noise that can be heard at night.
3. Lock your windows and doors with a second hidden lock. Consider signing up with an alarm monitoring company but not one that has an out of state monitoring station. Do business with a local company with their monitoring station that is in town, they know the local area. Many of them have first responders that are armed and many times can get to your place faster than some police departments.
4. If staying at a motel/hotel, bring along a door knob portable alarm. They are battery operated and can be bought at lock smiths shops, Home depot etc. They hang on the inside door knobs. If someone touches the outside knob (creating an electrical ground through the persons body) the alarm is activated and wakes you up, scares off the would be intruder. Also, if you are in a motel hotel and the fire alarm goes off, ALWAYS lock your room door behind you as you evacuate. The oldest trick in the book is to set off the fire alarm at night, everybody leaves their rooms in a hurry leaving their doors open, the thief just cruises through the halls entering the rooms picking up wallets purses etc. before the fire trucks arrive.

5. Consider getting outdoor lighting with a motion detector to illuminate behind shrubbery that is close to the house, especially at doorways. That eliminates hiding places in addition to having the shrubbery trimmed for visibility.

6. Consider illuminating all sides of your house with outdoor lighting with a motion detector. Mount the lights and detectors up high on the walls at corners of house etc.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head from my experience.

commoguy
05-27-2008, 01:54 AM
i vote a gun and some common sense.

also for those of you with sliding doors get either a piece of metal or wood to fit in the track the locks on sliding glass doors are a joke.

Rick
05-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Assassin and Sam - Dogs don't deter criminals.

From someone's web site: "In his study, The Efficacy of Home Security Measures, Dr. Timothy O'Shea found that owning a dog had little impact on a burglar's decision to enter a home. A finding further supported by earlier research (Buck, Hakim, & Rengert, 1993)."

You can also see that live in the show "It Takes a Thief". As we mentioned in the thread he likes to steal owner's dogs and often robs the place with the dog present.

As with anything else, you have to use what you have. Lock the locks and turn on the burglar system. According to the FBI, "the overwhelming majority [of burglaries], in all sections of the country, involved "unlawful entry", which means entry was gained without the use of force: usually through unlocked doors or windows.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-27-2008, 09:52 AM
The definition of residential burglary in Arkansas Code:

To enter or remain unlawfully in any residential structure with the purpose of committing therein any offense punishable by imprisonment.

Commerical burglary is the same. Just change the word "residential" to "commercial."

DOGMAN
05-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Well alright, maybe my dogs don't deter criminals. But, they defiently deter everybody else from wanting to come to our place. People come out to our place once- then they say "Hey, meet us in town"
We have a big wooden box with a lid for the UPS man right outside our gate- he won't come in either.
But, I imagine if a person is hopped up on enough crank running a gauntlet of 20 some odd barking dogs may be doable.
I really don't want to come face to face with that guy

Rick
05-27-2008, 10:20 AM
I didn't say anything on your post because I sort of thought there was a difference between 20+ howling dogs outside and 1 or 2 roaming inside the house.:D

Folks think that a dog inside is enough to keep a burglar from entering. In some cases it might if the owner has trained to to be vicious but if someone can come inside your home unmolested when you are there the chances are pretty good they can when you aren't. A handful of food is about all it takes to win over most dogs. Many times a kind word does it.

I've run into my share of mean pooches (chihuahuas are the worst in my book) when I worked outside but I've also run into a lot of them that I'd be petting when the home owner walked outside and some folks would get angry that the dog was so friendly toward me.

DOGMAN
05-27-2008, 10:32 AM
most yorkies, and chihuahuas are much meaner than any of my dogs. However, probably not as imtimidating.

Heck, I'm so poor all a burglar would get breaking into my house is practice

DOGMAN
05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
and maybe fleas

trax
05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
One of my Elders, many years ago, had her house robbed. They even stole her shoes. When I got pi$$ed off about it, she just shrugged and said "they must have needed them more than I do." Just a perspective.

Rick
05-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Heck, I'm so poor all a burglar would get breaking into my house is practice

Man, that hurt I laughed so hard.

Chicago Dan
05-27-2008, 12:38 PM
One of my Elders, many years ago, had her house robbed. They even stole her shoes. When I got pi$$ed off about it, she just shrugged and said "they must have needed them more than I do." Just a perspective

So trax "need" is then the standard of rightful possession?

I need a lot of things. Can I now take them?

Oh and what constitutes need? How do you quantify it?
I guess it doesn’t matter. The burglar didn’t ask or offer anything in defense of justification.

I leave you with this thought: "The minute justice is sacrificed for mercy or need, no justice henceforth exists."

trax
05-27-2008, 12:50 PM

I guess it doesn’t matter. The burglar didn’t ask or offer anything in defense of justification.

I leave you with this thought: "The minute justice is sacrificed for mercy or need, no justice henceforth exists."

Wow, I guess if she was still with us, I'd ask her about all that stuff. It was her perspective, dude, I just threw it out there. I think she just didn't worry herself a lot about her own material possessions. I know she was a hard-working woman and earned everything she ever had in life, never got rich or anything, raised six healthy hard-working children and offered a lot of wisdom to a lot of young people about the future of their community and that if they'd listened to some of it, the community would be a healthier place today.

bulrush
05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Speaking of valet parking...Here in Grand Rapids, MI, there was a valet parking employee at the airport who used a customer's BMW to take an 80 mile joy ride. And was later caught when the owner saw his odometer. At the cost of gas these days, the joy ride might make it to grand theft auto due to the value of gas "stolen".

Chicago Dan
05-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry trax, I didn’t mean to offend.
I see a lot of "justification" of theft and violence here(chicago) and I take no quarter in regards to criminal activity.

Alpine_Sapper
05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
I didn't say anything on your post because I sort of thought there was a difference between 20+ howling dogs outside and 1 or 2 roaming inside the house.:D

Folks think that a dog inside is enough to keep a burglar from entering. In some cases it might if the owner has trained to to be vicious but if someone can come inside your home unmolested when you are there the chances are pretty good they can when you aren't. A handful of food is about all it takes to win over most dogs. Many times a kind word does it.

I've run into my share of mean pooches (chihuahuas are the worst in my book) when I worked outside but I've also run into a lot of them that I'd be petting when the home owner walked outside and some folks would get angry that the dog was so friendly toward me.

Yep. That's why, if you want your dog to protect your house, you train it to take food from NO ONE but you, keep it locked away when company comes over ("what's that noise" "that's my akita" "can I see it?" "Absolutely not.") and then train it in standard attack techniques. Most people aren't willing to take their dogs through obedience school, let alone all the things necessary to make a single guard dog an effective burglar deterrent.

I did see a rotty one time that would crouch down under the window as you came through. Once you had stepped down inside with both feet and taken a step or two she'd hit you on the hamstring, take you to the ground, and keep you right there. Owner never trained her. Luckily he'd decided to get a bite sleeve and start beforehand.

Anyway, for the average "pet", the techniques necessary to make it an effective guard dog also prevent the usual socialization, so you have to decide why you want the dog and what you want it to do for you.

Alpine_Sapper
05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Years ago I hit on the idea of the ultimate home defense solution. Not sure how legal it was, and I was pretty drunk at the time. But anyway, if you get the standard burglar alarm it's a magnetic sensor embedded in the frame of the door or window so that when the connection is broken it sounds the alarm, right? So I was gonna devise an additional circuit that you could tie into it for each door and window that went to a spring loaded device embedded in the frame as well, that contained a 12 guage 00 buck shell in each side. I figure the average window is what, 2-3 feet wide? Image crawling through a window and getting hit with a shotgun from both sides... No more burglary. You could even put them up near the top of the frame and embed them at an angle for maximum crossfire coverage. Just make sure to let the kids know so they realize that sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night is a BAAAAAAAAAD idea.

Rick
05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Uh, I think booby traps were outlawed. That whole spring loaded vine thing is probably still good. It's too funny to outlaw.

commoguy
05-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Uh, I think booby traps were outlawed. That whole spring loaded vine thing is probably still good. It's too funny to outlaw.

yea it is at least in Texas anyways. but other than booby traps you can pretty much do anything else if they're in your house lol. i love my state. im also digging how Arkansas handles business. seems to like please, leave followed by the racking of shotgun is perfectly fine....i like it.

Alpine_Sapper
05-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Lol. I know, I know. that's why I never tried to market it. I figured I'd post it here for a laugh. I do have schematics for a less lethal version that essentially uses pyrotechnics for a "flash-bang" effect, which, if done right, will leave the burglar rolling on the floor blinded with blood coming out of their ears instead of shredded from the buckshot. I also came up with, and I think this has been done previously in Asia, a vehicle car alarm that electrocutes the guy as he's trying to gain entry. If you raise the amperage enough the guy will be unconscious and laying in a pool of his own urine when you get there. If you have the right type of alarm or add in an additional circuit over wifi or cellular you can have the car send you an SMS message when the alarm is triggered. That way you know the guy won't wake up before you get there. :)

crashdive123
05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I think she just didn't worry herself a lot about her own material possessions. I know she was a hard-working woman and earned everything she ever had in life, never got rich or anything, raised six healthy hard-working children and offered a lot of wisdom to a lot of young people about the future of their community and that if they'd listened to some of it, the community would be a healthier place today.

With that resume, she was wealthy beyond description.

Sam Reeves
05-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Assassin and Sam - Dogs don't deter criminals.

Of course dogs don't deter criminals. The little yapping is a burglar alarm the the crook can't turn off with a pair of Kleins.

Shotguns deter criminals. (*click-click*)

crashdive123
05-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Nell - looks like you were spot on with the suggestion of using some type of reinforced glass. Should've posted this in "Here's Your Sign" thread but..... http://cgi.fark.com/cgi/fark/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=3631855

Rick
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh, man. That was funny. Thanks! I needed that. I felt sorry for the first guy but the thrower (stupid as he was) got just what he deserved. I hope the first guy came to first just for a little revenge!!!

Sam
05-28-2008, 12:17 PM

I think the lady just did not see getting upset over losing stuff, worse things can happen. She could have been home and gotten hurt. just my take on it.

Ole WV Coot
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM

I have walked up to many a door with a note saying it's open, come on in. The key is under the mat, basement door left open, I am taking a nap before my husband gets home etc. Ain't no way I ever went farther than the door and hung a NA card on the doorknob, besides I know the dog will bite;)

Rick
05-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I remember being met by a couple of Dobbermans once. Tried to chew the tires off the truck. I honked a couple of times, filled out a NA card and flung it out the truck window into the driveway. They didn't have to tell me twice that they'd bite.:D