PDA

View Full Version : Making Pancake Syrup

Vika
05-26-2008, 12:52 PM
My family really likes pancakes, and we use a lot of syrup. For those of you who don't already do it, I really recommend making your own maple flavor pancake syrup. All you need is a bottle of Crescent Mapleine Imitation Maple Flavor (in the grocery spice aisle), and granulated sugar. There is a simple recipe on the bottle, and the result tastes much better then the corn syrup based crap that is sold in grocery stores. For a little different (a even smoother) taste, try adding half as much vanilla flavoring to the mix as maple flavoring.

Both granulated sugar and the flavorings store easily with long shelf life making this a great comfort food come a crisis. We have stored a lot of peanut butter, and spread this on pancakes when butter or margarine isn't available to add some richness and fat to the pancake eating.

Best regards to all.

Rick
05-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I make pancakes for the grandkids all time. I use 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring in the Bisquick mix. I love peanut butter on pancakes. That and bacon...need I say more?

Take your pick on recipes for syrup:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,maple_syrup_homemade,FF.html

Alpine_Sapper
05-26-2008, 01:05 PM
You can also melt the peanut butter and add it to the pancake batter before you cook them. Then, instead of making maple syrup, melt a little jelly in some water in a saucepan and you have peanut butter and jelly pancakes. I do this with apple jelly on the weekends sometimes for the kids. They love'em. The original recipe was done by Rachel Ray from food network if you wanna google it.

wareagle69
05-26-2008, 09:09 PM
ah but you forgot the most important ingrediant when making hot cakes... ok everyone at the same time.......BACON thats ok your new you'll learn

Teotwawki
05-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Every late summer / early fall we pick wild black berries and boil it down, strain off the roughage to make black berry syrup. It is good and all natural (although I do sneak in a bit of white sugar - but that is not necessary).

Also for the first time this year we experimented with birch tree syrup. We had about a dozen taps and were getting 10+ gallons of sap a day. We had nearly 100 gallons of raw sap when we set about reducing some down to syrup. Took all day over an open fire pit to reduce 10 gallons of sap to less than a gallon of syrup. Didn't taste that great but would do as a sweetener in a pinch I guess.

Riverrat
05-27-2008, 07:06 AM
We use maple syrup, made localy and straight from the tree...

wildWoman
05-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Jam that didn't set makes great pancake syrup. Also makes a yummy juice when mixed into plain water.

trax
05-27-2008, 12:55 PM
blueberries...mmmmm....makes great jam, syrup, reason to reflect on how wonderful life is.

birch tree syrup takes a little getting used to, I'd add a bit of sugar somehow. I tried it a few years ago and it was ok, but I'm probably spoiled by the amount of sugar in all the processed foods I've grown accustomed to eating.

Rick
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
If the birch syrup doesn't taste that good, you might try dehydrating it. That will concentrate the sugars and turn it into a fruit leather. It might taste better as a candy than as a syrup. Just a thought.

Teotwawki - What do you do with the left overage "roughage" from the blackberries?

Tony uk
05-27-2008, 02:38 PM
If the birch syrup doesn't taste that good, you might try dehydrating it. That will concentrate the sugars and turn it into a fruit leather. It might taste better as a candy than as a syrup. Just a thought.

Teotwawki - What do you do with the left overage "roughage" from the blackberries?

I would eat it, No reason for it to go to waste :)

Teotwawki
05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Rick: leftover roughage we feed to critters - chickens / goats.

RobertRogers
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Now that is just sacrilege - fake stuff.

BraggSurvivor
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Same here RR, cant stand that Aunt Jemima corn sugar (with real butter taste) crap.

RBB
05-27-2008, 07:23 PM

Tap maples every spring for syrup and sugar. My grandfather loved birch syrup, but if you boil it down too much you get molasses, instead of sugar.

It takes 40 gallons of maple sap to make a gallon of syrup. It takes 80 gallons of birch sap to make a gallon of syrup.

Rick
05-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Teotwawki - Why couldn't you use it in cobblers, add some to home made butter (blackberry butter, mmmm) or can it? I realize most of the juice is gone but I would think you could mix it with some other berries and use it. Am I wrong?

crashdive123
05-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Speaking of blueberries....my grandmother used to make us bluberry grunt. Mmmmmmmm. Here's a recipie. http://www.lanierbb.com/recipes/data/bk589.html

Rick
05-27-2008, 08:34 PM
All right you kids, line up there. I want to hear all of you! Ready! I want a blueberry grunt from each of you!!

Oh, grandma.........

Why would she make you do that?

crashdive123
05-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I just knew the name would conjur up some visuals. You know, small kids making faces and strange noises. But this is the stuff.

http://www.nswildblueberries.com/images/lg-grunt.jpg

Rick
05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't care what you call it, if it has blueberries (or blackberries), I'm there. Blueberry bacon?

I have tiny blueberries and tiny little currants on the bushes.

Riverrat
05-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Never tried the Birch, but that is on the menu for next spring.

Teotwawki
05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Didn't nibble on the leftover "roughage" but I imagine it was pretty tasteless (like me). Adding it to stuff would probably just add texture / bulk but not much if any flavor.

The birch syrup - I think we over cooked it. It was very dark and thick - more like sorghum than syrup. If you try this, watch real close as the soup starts to thicken... it happens quickly at the end. May try again next year.

We tried also tapping some non-sugar maples but barely got a drop of sap. We don't have any sugar maples but may plant a few.

trax
05-28-2008, 10:49 AM
OK, Crash, now you have to explain to everyone else at my office why I walked out in the middle of the morning with drool on my chin. Man, that looks delicious.

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-28-2008, 11:03 AM
so for a city boy, and talk slow, how long does it take to get 40 gallons of maple sap? how does one make a tap? and lastly, do maples hang around specific places, like aspens around water?

crashdive123
05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
so for a city boy, and talk slow, how long does it take to get 40 gallons of maple sap? how does one make a tap? and lastly, do maples hang around specific places, like aspens around water?

Here you go. Just read slow.:D http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Buds_and_Bark/tapping_sugar_maple_index.html

Rick
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
See, I could make some comment about how maples hate lumber yards and tend to hang around bars or saloons made of oak. But I won't.

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Here you go. Just read slow.:D http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Buds_and_Bark/tapping_sugar_maple_index.html

thanks! but totally missed the season. got all excited to go raid some maples on blm land, and i'm off by months.:mad:

Rick
05-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Look at this way, you're just way early.