PDA

View Full Version : Pancake Mix Recipe??

Vika
05-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I am new to this forum, and wonder how much help is available here.

Can anyone direct me to a good recipe for pancake mix using food from my long term stores pantry? The basics would be:

Freshly ground whole wheat flour
Vegetable Oil
Powdered eggs
Powdered milk
Anything else?

It wouldn't be too hard to experiment to find the best recipe, but with so many chores to do, I would appreciate being able to benefit from work already done.

Best regards to all.

Rick
05-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Here you go. If you haven't used powdered eggs before then you need to know they have a tendency to clump into lumps when water is added. You'll need to whisk it to dissolve them. I prefer to add the eggs to the water rather than the other way around. I add a bit of egg and stir, add some more and stir, and so on.

http://waltonfeed.com/grain/ldscn/8.html

Tahyo
05-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I buy the Aunt Jemima brand that you just mix with water for storage and/or camping trips. Other than that when I make pancakes I make them from scratch using fresh ingredients.
Can't get much simpler than what's already to go.

Rick
05-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I prefer Bisquick. I think it soaks up the milk faster and you don't have to let it set as long. Some of the others can be a bit runny the first batch you make. But he didn't list that in his supplies so I didn't mention it.

nell67
05-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I make my own Baking mix (Bisquick) here is the recipe I posts some time ago.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182&highlight=Master+Baking

Vika
05-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Thank you very much, Rick for the link. Just what I was looking for. There seems to be a lot of stuff on the Walton Feed web site that is rather hidden and not easy to find.

During normal times we also like Bisquick, with extra amount of fresh eggs added, but I wanted a recipe that uses whole wheat flour that we are equipped to grind ourselves for better nutrition, and better long term storage (of wheat kernels). I think that Bisquick might have a possibility to grow meal worms unless carefully repackaged for long term store, and the incorporated shortening could eventually go rancid. But we do keep a large amount on hand and rotate through it every year. The problem is that while the two of us rotate through a lot of Bisquick, I am storing food for an extended family that will gather to us in time of crisis. The amount of anything that the two of us can rotate through is small compared to what we need to store as a two year supply for a large extended family.

Thanks all.

Rick
05-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Two year supply!?:eek: Good grief. That's an incredible amount of food. I don't think you can rotate and process that much food without some of it going bad unless everyone in the extended family is using it.

Why not venture over to the Introduction section and tells us a bit about yourself?

Vika
05-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the invitation. I will do that, and yes, it is requiring a lot of careful planning.

Our core supplies are a whopping lot of Hard White Wheat berries, Soft White Wheat berries, regular rolled oats, rice, dried beans, pasta, powdered milk, sugar, salt, and baking supplies. To all of this we are supplimenting a wide variety of spices, canned goods, freeze dried, and all kinds of other stuff. It is definitely an on-going work in process.

All of the dry bulk stuff is stored in 6 gallon plastic pails (except the sugar, salt, and milk powder), purged with nitrogen, and sealed with gasket lids. I am fortunate to have a lot of room for storage, and a budget that allows some extra money that I can dedicate to the project each month. In the beginning I bought two pallets of buckets and lids, with 108 buckets per pallet. My extended family plan is for 12 to 14 people, and shelf life is a most important consideration.

crashdive123
05-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Wow! That's a lot of supplies. I look forward to learning more on storage and processing. Looking forward to your posts.

wareagle69
05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
i like to add vanilla extract to my hotcake mix

Omid
06-10-2008, 01:36 PM
powdered eggs?