PDA

View Full Version : Pine tree cordage??--

Jeremiah Johnson
05-25-2008, 07:12 PM
does pine tree bark make for good cordage or cordage at all??

crashdive123
05-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Pine bark is brittle and comes off in chunks. I do not believe you can make cordage with pine.

Jeremiah Johnson
05-25-2008, 07:19 PM
then can you make cordage from any bark that does not come out in chunks? is that the idea? :/

Rick
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't think the bark would work but the rootlets will. You can make cordage out of just about any tree's cadmium layer (between the wood and outer bark) will work. If you find a dead tree you can generally strip off long sections of bark. Some species are better than other and in the case the pine rootlets will work better than the bark.

crashdive123
05-25-2008, 07:21 PM
JJ - here's a thread on cordage that may help. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2855

Rick
05-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Here is a list of trees that you can use the bark to make cordage out of:

basswood
elm
walnut
cherry
cedar
aspen
maple
cottonwood
hickory
oak
ash

Jericho117
06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I stick to fibourous plants like Indian Hemp and Wild Hemp, that's what I use to make my trap parts (the trigger), bowstrings, and lacings ). Using the inner bark for cordage on trees for me is a lot harder but I found Maple to be the best. Iv'e never heard of Pine cordage but I have heard of Spruce root cordage. Give the Pine a try and let us know. Hell, Iv'e even made cordage from Celery stalk fiber.

RobertRogers
06-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with Jericho - give it a try. Thats the best way to find out - and you may even find other uses for a particular plant by accident doing this.

bulrush
06-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I think the idea is to find the tough fibers inside the bark, or inside the plant, dry them and weave them into cordage.

Jeremiah Johnson
06-17-2008, 02:36 AM
so I tried it, and it doesn't really work. It peals in pieces rather than long strips, which doesn't really help. I think someone said that would happen, and they were right. I have some a number of different trees by my house, but I don't know which ones they are (plant life is not my specialty) and so I don't know what will work. I'll just keep tryin'!