PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Shelters

diggler
05-25-2008, 10:05 AM
No need to mention thats its twister season...and the search for a practical shelter from these heavenly terrors. I was thinking along the lines of those Hanoi single person air raid shelters, which basically is a concrete cylinder and a manhole cover. A quickie would be a large plastic container dropped in a hole. Only problem is that I can't find anything larger than 50 gallons at these home improvement stores. Could use some suggestions here.

Rick
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM
First, there is a big difference between a cyclone and a tornado. A cyclone can cover a very broad geographic area while a tornado is generally more localized. Cornfields tell the tale. If the stalks are knocked flat in the same direction, it was a cyclone. If the stalks are twisted and scattered about haphazard then it was a tornado. Why bother with an explanation? How you defend against them is a bit different. You could probably do okay with your plan should a cyclone hit. It will be a hard horizontal wind and you will probably be safe. A tornado, on the other hand, might just pick up that manhole cover and you along with it (depending on it's strength, of course).

Here's a link on how to protect yourself from tornadoes:

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/keepsafe/tornado.html

DOGMAN
05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Around here you can buy 300 gallon stock tanks at feed/ranch stores. I picked up a Rubbermaid one a while back for a few hundred bucks.

Rick
05-25-2008, 05:23 PM
You can actually purchase tornado shelters commercially. Underground...

http://www.stormsheltersforlife.com/

Or safe room....

http://www.stormxshelters.com/

Just google tornado shelter. Tons of links come up.

crashdive123
05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
No need to mention thats its twister season...and the search for a practical shelter from these heavenly terrors. I was thinking along the lines of those Hanoi single person air raid shelters, which basically is a concrete cylinder and a manhole cover. A quickie would be a large plastic container dropped in a hole. Only problem is that I can't find anything larger than 50 gallons at these home improvement stores. Could use some suggestions here.

Lot's of sources for underground tornado shelters. You can even find plans to build your own. I've even seen people bury an length of concrete sewer pipe, sealing on end, constructing door at the other, bury entire thing.

Not sure what part of the world you live, but if you're looking at a storm shelter for cyclones or even hurricanes you need to be careful with the underground part, as it can quickly become under water (not good).

Rick
05-25-2008, 06:13 PM
One word of caution on underground shelters. I see a lot of them that have a door open outward. I don't think that's a great idea. You are probably going to put the thing in your back yard so it's quite possible that debris could land on the door. If it's heavy enough, you're trapped. A sliding door, on the other hand, might offer you a way to get out even if debris were sitting on top of it. It's much easier to slide a door open than open it outward. Opening it inward would even be better but harder to seal out the weather.

DOGMAN
05-25-2008, 07:44 PM
or, you could go all out
http://www.disastershelters.net/shelters_components.php

scroll down and look at the living quarters and kitchens

Tahyo
05-26-2008, 11:38 AM
We nicknamed tornado shelters, "fraidy holes" when we were growing up. I never had to get in one and I'm glad of that.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I've always said if I built a house I'd build a safe room / storm shelter in the center of it. Perhaps it would be a bit below ground or entirely below ground. If that were the case I'd built it out near the perimeter so the whole house wouldn't fall on it. Ok, I'm a bit off topic, but I think it'd be neat to have a hidey hole in the house - a secret no one knew about.

Rick
05-26-2008, 06:09 PM
It doesn't have to be underground if you choose a safe room. Today's inside the house safe rooms can be engineered to withstand the force of a tornado and come through unscathed.

When I was in high school a tornado touched down about 7 miles away and destroyed the bank in a little burg. I mean wiped the building from the planet. The only thing left was a concrete slab and the vault. The bank employees and a patron or two were inside the vault unharmed. Made me a believer in same rooms.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
It doesn't have to be underground if you choose a safe room. Today's inside the house safe rooms can be engineered to withstand the force of a tornado and come through unscathed.

When I was in high school a tornado touched down about 7 miles away and destroyed the bank in a little burg. I mean wiped the building from the planet. The only thing left was a concrete slab and the vault. The bank employees and a patron or two were inside the vault unharmed. Made me a believer in same rooms.

Oh, I know it doesn't have to be underground. Just fantasy.

Rick
05-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Fantasy? Okay, take a step back. Go on. (Listens intently for Deliverance music as I back away).

crashdive123
05-26-2008, 06:31 PM
If you want security, protection from severe weather (or just about anything else)....
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/article/0,1797,HGTV_3659_1641541,00.html

shelterPlus
12-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Underground shelters provide best protection against tornadoes. Although above ground shelters, "if" properly designed can provide good protection. Underground shelters though are susceptible to flooding in a hurricane, are typically more comfortable and are less expensive. There are many shelters out there that are not designed properly. Even then, an improperly designed underground shelter will provide enough protection against a tornado threat.

crashdive123
12-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey ShelterPlus - before everybody thinks you're just a spammer, why not head over to the introduction section and tell us about yourself.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
12-26-2008, 05:59 PM

Buy a brokendown school bus and bury it so that the emergency door at the rear is open and that makes a good shelter that is large enough and doesnt cost alot.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
12-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I can install an above ground tornado shelter for you also,special concrete reenforceing
techniques and materils are available now in most states,and new systems are emerging

Beans
12-29-2008, 09:50 PM
I survived several cyclones in Northeast Missouri while growing up. We had a "Root Celler" we would run to when needed. It was dug into the ground 4 feet deep, 8 feet long, 6 feet wide. The top was a wooden dome supported with 8X8 posts and covered with 3 feet of dirt that we had removed from the hole.

We kept all of our canned goods ( mason jar stuff) and the home grown potatoes stored in the celler. A candle for a light when needed. We also keep a doubled bitted ax down there in case we needed it to get out. It was never used.

I can remember coming out after a cyclone had passed by and finding wheat straws stuck in fence poles like a nail.