PDA

View Full Version : Some one say Cast iron pots/dutch ovens/Potjies..

Antonyraison
01-22-2018, 08:28 AM
I took a drive 3km up the road and this is what we typically find litterally everywhere in south Africa..
Note the price for the Big number 3 pot in rands... (and this is a retail price here, not even whole sale) at current exchange rate, that's 40 usd for the big number 3.

Graf
01-22-2018, 08:50 AM
That’s a deal for sure

Antonyraison
01-22-2018, 09:04 AM
That’s a deal for sure

hmmm it is a decent price generally speaking for here... Just reading other threads, and I find it hard to believe that they very costly and not easy to get in the states.. Very odd to me when most supermarkets here even have them.
Maybe one day I should just export you guys an entire shipping crate or something.

Wise Old Owl
01-22-2018, 10:59 AM
One hell of a deal, But I get most of mine from the farmers market. Except for the largest ones - they are now hard to find. (Used for making soap or jams)

by the way combine those with this and everything but baking will be a breeze with a twig fire,

portable rocket stove - made in China where they need the most of them, to get off the coal brick system, that is causing all the pollution.

Wise Old Owl
01-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Here is one on Amazon. CLICK (https://www.amazon.com/EcoZoom-Versa-Rocket-Stove/dp/B005GQZ4O0/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B005GQZ4O0&pd_rd_r=NNPX2MXWTZ7E53YKKRQV&pd_rd_w=HuEL7&pd_rd_wg=IaAgA&psc=1&refRID=NNPX2MXWTZ7E53YKKRQV)

Here is the PIC. 11667
There are two versions one takes Kingsford - the other just wood.

hunter63
01-22-2018, 11:53 AM
hmmm it is a decent price generally speaking for here... Just reading other threads, and I find it hard to believe that they very costly and not easy to get in the states.. Very odd to me when most supermarkets here even have them.
Maybe one day I should just export you guys an entire shipping crate or something.

The don't work in microwave...I sure our "cooking" style is different than yours.
SS, copper, alum and ceramic is big here.

2dumb2kwit
01-22-2018, 08:53 PM
We can get cast iron at reasonable prices, but a lot of people turn their noses up at it, because it's "Made in China". (American made cast iron is about 3 times the cost of Chinese.)
http://www.agrisupply.com/searchcenter.aspx?keyword=cast+iron&prv=&adv=&hawkb=

(The stuff in the link is Chinese made.)

crashdive123
01-22-2018, 10:25 PM
I love every piece of cast iron I have. I have more than I need. I will probably get more.

I think its a sickness, and one that I am not looking for a cure.

hunter63
01-22-2018, 10:52 PM
I love every piece of cast iron I have. I have more than I need. I will probably get more.

I think its a sickness, and one that I am not looking for a cure.

Let's not discuss...."cast iron" sickness.
LOL

Alan R McDaniel Jr
01-22-2018, 11:14 PM
Here is one on Amazon. CLICK (https://www.amazon.com/EcoZoom-Versa-Rocket-Stove/dp/B005GQZ4O0/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B005GQZ4O0&pd_rd_r=NNPX2MXWTZ7E53YKKRQV&pd_rd_w=HuEL7&pd_rd_wg=IaAgA&psc=1&refRID=NNPX2MXWTZ7E53YKKRQV)

Here is the PIC. 11667
There are two versions one takes Kingsford - the other just wood.

I have a BioLite camp stove. It is amazing how well they work with just twigs as fuel AND you can charge your phone while you're at it.

Alan

Antonyraison
01-23-2018, 01:30 AM
The don't work in microwave...I sure our "cooking" style is different than yours.
SS, copper, alum and ceramic is big here.

Sacrilege!!! but your right we dont use them the same way, we only use them on an open fire, or a barbecue, the flat bottom ones we do also use on a stove top at times...

shiftyer1
01-23-2018, 02:47 AM
My grandmother grew up using cast iron and loved the newer materials. They were heavy. She thought I was nuts when I started using it. lol I would assume this is why it's getting hard to find here. We have so many options that things are disposable.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
01-23-2018, 04:45 AM
#1 wife has her grandmother's skillet. She uses it ONLY for making cornbread. The inside of the skillet is perfectly smooth and nothing sticks to it. When done, she wipes it out with a damp dishtowel, dries it in the oven or on the stove, and puts it away.

I've got more cast iron that I can carry in a wheelbarrow. I don't have one of those pots though. There's always gonna be one more thing.

Alan

Antonyraison
01-23-2018, 05:03 AM
We do not use rocket stoves either.. For most intents and purposes when People actually camp here we use what We call a skottel braai ( I have not a clue what the english term is for it)
But basically a gas barbeque, with a wok type thing/ or other cooking attachments..
But 99% of the time we will just Braai actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdQuj9UUIQ

crashdive123
01-23-2018, 06:57 AM
I traded for a homemade skottle at my last camp. Got to use it and fell in love with it. I'll get some pictures of it eventually.

Antonyraison
01-23-2018, 07:48 AM
I traded for a homemade skottle at my last camp. Got to use it and fell in love with it. I'll get some pictures of it eventually.

They actually really nice to cook on can make your bacon and eggs and sausages all at once on them..