PDA

View Full Version : Why are you on here/Why do you do it?

Rocky789
07-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Just wanted to ask everyone two questions, why are you on this site? and what has brought you to learn more about wilderness skills?

So ill be the first to go,
I am on this site because I really enjoy practicing my outdoors skills and I hope I can benefit from someone elses experiences and vice versa.

And the reason why I want to learn more about wilderness skills, well ive always been a outdoorsy person, im of native american descent and have always been interested in practicing skills like this because of it since I was a little kid. Its been something ive been working on since then and I believe I can say I can handle a lot of situations because of my practice. And I want to keep practicing them, I am currently working on making videos showing specific skills with some of the shorter and more basic skills for free online and the longer and more advanced skills for sale(currently just working out the details and basically just got in touch with my web/graphics designer).

zadig39
07-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I stumbled on this site while looking for a better way to secure my home during bad weather. I found alot of info and interesting points of view here. I dont spend much time outdoors these day as my family is just not into it,but I plan to make more time for it in the future and maybe test some of the survival tips I get from yall.

Sarge47
07-25-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm here because I like hangin' with a bunch of like-minded people. I've visited other survival sites, but I didn't stay with them because it wasn't what I was looking for. A lot of the people were expecting Armegedon tomorrow or the next day. That's not what I'm all about.

spiritman
07-26-2007, 12:27 AM
I love spending time out of doors and while I'm stuck at work I like to be able to imagine I'm out there. I stayed because I was learning innovative ways to do things that I like. I like to hear all you guys tossing ideas around. Hopefully I can contribute some things that I have learned too.

NevadaCarry
07-26-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm here because I was just looking for some kind of wilderness/survival type sites, maybe some tips, etc. This was one of the first I came across and noticed the forums seemed pretty active. After reading a bit I thought it was a good place to hang out.

I want to learn more about wilderness survival since I've been camping and hiking a lot more. I'm starting to get sick of the city life but don't have an option of moving away from it at the moment so whenever I get a chance I head out of here. So the more things I can learn WHILE I'm here the better.

trax
07-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Like Nevada, I was cruising some outdoor type sites and found this one. Funny, the first time I found the site, I never noticed forums, but like the info and when I came back the forums were here so I joined up, just last week.

I spend all of my work time in an office now, and while I enjoy what I'm doing and appreciate getting the paycheck and all, my real love is and always will be the "out there". I'm the kind of guy who can't drive down a country road and pass one of those tiny little side roads without turning off for a look-see or when I go hiking with a couple of people and folks want to head back I'll be the one saying "but what's down this creek?" or "over that hill?" (I'm 49 going on 8 lol) I also have some native ancestry and had the great advantage in my younger years (as I mentioned earlier) to have some traditional skills teachings from some elders in my home area. I always believe I can learn more, plenty more, and if I have anything I can share, good--it's my responsibility to share it.

owl_girl
07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I love nature, and being in nature. This looked like a good place to swap info, and its active so I signed up. The main reason I知 interested in wilderness survival is because I like spending time in the wilderness but each time I go there is a chance I値l get lost. My worst fear would be getting lost alone with the thought that I might be walking farther away from civilization, farther out into the middle of nowhere, and that fear inspired me to learn this stuff. In Alaska and Canada you could go 100s of mils in the wrong direction and not know it until you hit the ocean, go 1000s of mils and not see a road or foot print, Its like the feeling of drifting out to sea. But where I live now you walk 5 or 7 miles in any direction and you値l fined civilization so here I知 not worried about it. It would be a lot scarier going into the woods knowing that if you get lost you don稚 know how to survive. I want to know that I can be independent if I have to be. If I知 all alone I can稚 depend on anyone but me for my survival. The more I learn the more confidence and peace of mind I have when I知 in the wilderness and I知 not as haunted by the thought of being lost, though its still scary at lest I know I can survive if I have to.

woodzman
07-26-2007, 09:03 PM
owl girl you summed that up for me in one word, Independence. Thats what It's all about for me, knowing that if need be I can live on what nature provides. Though easier said than done, It's a great feeling.

Texan
07-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I love the outdoors and the more I learn about survival skills the more secure I am in going on outdoor adventures. And like Sarge47 said the other sites I have been to seem to have thier hopes up for Armegedon or Nueclear War and seem to be more ALARMIST PROPOGANDA than actual survival talk.So after I read some of the posts from you guys and girls I decided to sign up.I have lived in a couple of different places in this great country of ours and have never been disapointed with the beautiful landscapes that can be found. I hope that everyone keeps coming by and updating the posts here so that we can keep exchanging info and stories.

Sarge47
07-29-2007, 04:23 PM
I love the outdoors and the more I learn about survival skills the more secure I am in going on outdoor adventures. And like Sarge47 said the other sites I have been to seem to have thier hopes up for Armegedon or Nueclear War and seem to be more ALARMIST PROPOGANDA than actual survival talk.So after I read some of the posts from you guys and girls I decided to sign up.I have lived in a couple of different places in this great country of ours and have never been disapointed with the beautiful landscapes that can be found. I hope that everyone keeps coming by and updating the posts here so that we can keep exchanging info and stories.

Well, said dawg! I've joined another forum on knives recently but noticed that the folks there are a bit more aloof than "The Wolf Pack". You guys are really cool!:cool:

wareagle69
07-29-2007, 06:41 PM
i like to trade ideas and concepts about primitve skills. i like hearing about others experience so as to learn from them both with products and skills, and its nice for me at least to see names i reconize and always look forward to reading their posts

go wolfpack

Fog_Harbor
07-29-2007, 10:03 PM
I have to agree with most of the posters, but I'll start from the beginning.

I've always been more comfortable outdoors. I used to run away a lot when I was young, and I learned a lot of the skills the hard way.

Like others on here, I like it here because the place doesn't seem to be full of crackpots and egos. I agree that one should 'stock up' for emergencies, but if life turns to worms that suddenly and drastically, it probably won't matter much.

Then there's the independance like others said. After 9/11 and Katrina, I don't trust the government to help me after a disaster, so I want to be able to go it alone, and keep my family alive in a crisis.

One last factor is simply that I love camping, but I hate lugging around a ton of equipment. I carry enough food and water for a day or two, but I depend on nature for the rest.

Borelli
12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I like this site because it isn't full of people who think they know it all. Instead the members of this website understand that they all have more to learn because it is impossible to know it all when it is regarding this topic. I am also a member of this site because everybody is willing to give advice as well as ask for it when it caomes to any sub-topic. This website allows me to share knowledge with others as well as recieve it.

Rick
12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
I hadn't seen this thread before. Well put Borelli. I like what everyone has said. For me, it seems that technology is outpacing the old ways. I've said in other posts I believe in technology and enjoy it but I think it should be balanced by not letting past knowledge slip from our fingers. Maybe, you guys and gals will teach me something that might one day save my life or the life of someone I love (that's not you Trax). Maybe, something I share with you will do the same. That's a pretty powerful reason to draw me in.

Proud American
12-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Me im here cause I know nothin. I stumbledd upon this website while reserching Rangers and every one here looked like they know somethings and have there heads set squarly on there soliders(no bezerk headless chickens runnin around this sight). Also alot of people here are ex military and people who have and do go off the trail and enjoy nature and life.They also aren't peoples who have left more then 50 feet away from there computer for the past 20 years (NOT like i dont apply to this catogory I love first person shooters and play Call Of Duty 4 almost every day with my friend, but hey video games forever is lame, got to have real fun sometime and when I do I dont want to do somthin stupid and get myself killed). So I basicly am lookin Into the Rangers as a carear and dont want my info from my friend's neibor's brother in law who knows about somthin he sall on Survivor Man, I want to kn ow that what im gettin isnt CRAP! Cause bassicly i suck all info up and need to know its accurate first hand experience and thats what i like about this site.

So Thanks Wolf Pack for all the help and Advice!

Nativedude
12-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm here because I like hangin' with a bunch of like-minded people. I've visited other survival sites, but I didn't stay with them because it wasn't what I was looking for. A lot of the people were expecting Armegedon tomorrow or the next day. That's not what I'm all about.

What Sarge said! ;)

Two Rivers
12-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Great reading.
The outdoors is the biggest part of who I am. Being raised in the the ways of life in the woods in Pa. I learned to love everything nature has to offer. A life time student of the skills of staying alive in the great outdoors. I never stop learning and applying these skills. I tend to refresh this knowlege quite often and found this site while tracking down a good site of like minded folks. Though I've only been here a few days now, I find this good reading and full of excellent information.Dont have to pick no brains. The info is given freely by folks who know something.

RaymondPeter
12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm hear because you can never learn too much about survival...

dilligaf2u2
12-06-2007, 09:28 PM
NAKED !

Now that I have your attention. Survival in my case is not just something to learn. It is something to teach also. Reading the posts here reminds me to use the one survival tool I always carry, my brain.

No matter what we are able to do. We can always learn. Ma-by a new skill? Ma-by a better way to do what we have been doing for years. Be it a new idea or refreshing an old one.

It is when we stop thinking that we stop living. Knowing what to do is not all we have to do to know a skill. It is not the time to learn once we find we need a skill. Once you read, then you have to do. Why? So we know we are able to do the task at hand. I know how to build a bridge. When I need one is not the time to try to see if I can build the dang thing. But if I have built one and it works, I have gained the advantage of having put the skill to work. I know it will work and I trust that it will work.

Don

kingfisher71
12-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Sarge, hope I don't come across as one waiting on Armagadon. However, in my 47 years here on Gods earth I can't say that I ever been as uncertian of our collective future. Keeping politics out of it, I feel we're being sold out. I stay confussed when I hear folks open thier mouths and so much "self-hatred" comes spewing out. It seems surreal. Like I'm dreaming. My first grandbaby girl was born this past april. That caused me to look at our(my familys) future and try to take as much controll of it as I can. If knowing how to build a fire w/o matches, get food w/o going to the store, ect...helps then I better get on with it! This sure feels like the right place to get it done!..........Kf71

Rick
12-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Dillagaf, you're on the money. I look at survival skills, BOB and other planning as just another insurance policy. I have insurance on my home, car and life, not that I know something is going to happen but because it might. I might have a wreck or a house fire and I might die tomorrow (sooner if I don't pay attention to my wife:D ).

Being prepared with survival skills is no different. Tornado, flood, meth lab down the road, chemical spill on the highway. So many possibilities that MIGHT happen (plug in your disaster here). Being prepared only makes good sense. Sharpening those skills is no different than updating your insurance policy to me.

One of the things that sticks in my mind is Katrina and the evacuation that almost took place in Houston. Miles and miles of cars going somewhere. You just wonder how many had a BOB in the car and a plan of where they were going. A small percentage, I'll bet.