PDA

View Full Version : good thing it wasn't a four dog night

randyt
11-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Here is a link to a lady dog walker that went missing with three dogs. I can imagine cuddling with the dogs kept her warm.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/missing-dog-walker-three-pups-found-alive-in-coquitlam-b-c-1.3689203

Rick
11-23-2017, 09:53 AM
And where is Lassie when you need her? "Go get help girl." Glad it turned out well.

hunter63
11-23-2017, 11:04 AM
And where is Lassie when you need her? "Go get help girl." Glad it turned out well.

She was in a well?....Timmy was always in the well....I think Timmy wasn't all that bright....So Lassie was a service dog?

Seriously.... real glad to hear it turned out OK....
I love a good dog story......

kyratshooter
11-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Back in 2006 The wife went to LaJune to retrieve #2 son after his first tour and left me to my own devices for a couple of days. First morning out I walked out the door to head for school and fell off the bottom step. I was sober, no kidding.

Nothing hurt at first but as the day wore on I started hobbling around and eventually could barely move. When I got home I was black and blue from the knee down.

When the wife returned and saw the damage she gave me a severe talking too about going to the ER when something like this happened and carted me off to discover that I had a broken ankle, which I had been limping around on for two days.

I was still walking for my cardio back then and our county has a real big "Wilderness Park" out near the Ohio River that was one of my favorite spots to walk due to sidewalks being excessively boring. The park included a sizable hill and when you took the trail to the top you discovered that there were several loops one could chose and design your own hike that could cover several miles up and down the hill.

After snapping the ankle on the bottom step I decided I might need to build an over night survival kit in case I did some mischief to myself on one of the back trails that were seldom used by the public and were my favorite haunts.

My goal was to make a kit that would have served this poor woman well. I wanted to have everything I needed to get by for 24 hours without having to move from the place I fell. This kit was specifically for use when injured and not able to move more than a few feet. No building shelters, no gathering firewood, No hunting or fishing expeditions, Just gear to keep me alive through a cold night until someone came down the trail, and to signal them when they got near.

It all fit into a big fanny pack, one of those large ones used by hunters. A day pack or book bag would have worked too. Not going into the contents, just the normal stuff and each person would have different gear according to his/her needs and the climate.

Three dogs would have been a welcome addition.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
11-30-2017, 11:59 PM
They make those "Life Alert" thingys you hang around your neck. Just push the button and tell them you've fallen and can't get up.

Alan

finefunny
12-01-2017, 12:06 AM
To say that any people are not fit for freedom, is to make poverty their choice, and to say they had rather be loaded with taxes than not.

finefunny
12-01-2017, 12:07 AM
It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same.

hunter63
12-01-2017, 12:17 AM
It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same.

So those are first 2 posts.....?

Alan R McDaniel Jr
12-01-2017, 12:26 AM
But seriously, the addition of a small loud revolver (snubby 357 mag or the like) and some extra ammo will help make noise if someone is in earshot and your cell phone doesn't work. My advice to family (it's not always taken) is to put ICE numbers (spouse, children, doctor, etc) in your cell phone. If you are unconscious or otherwise incapacitated, the people who find you can look in your phone for the I(n) C(ase) of E(mergency) numbers and call them.

With the assumption being that you would not have cell service or that your phone got damaged, lost or wet, the small day pack idea is a good one.

A space blanket (or two), a trioxane bar, matches (a small fire kit), some pain pills, two days supply of daily meds (BP and such), and a needle and some nylon thread. In a pinch you could sew up a large gash or cut. One of those stout carpet needles would be best. They won't break and the can be gripped with your Leatherman (that is always on your belt, right?) Maybe some gauze, antibiotic cream and a small bottle of alcohol (the drinking kind will disinfect just as well as the rubbing kind and also has that other use). I like tincture of Merthiolate. I'm also kinda partial to "Payday" candy bars. A couple of those will keep your ribs apart while you're sitting there waiting on the cavalry. I always have a little bit of cordage as well.

Years ago I had a pack set up like what you're talking about, but I only used it while hunting.

Those trioxane bars were the best way to start a fire as quickly as possible. Just pile the dry tinder and kindling on them and light her up.

Alan

Alan R McDaniel Jr
12-01-2017, 12:28 AM
So those are first 2 posts.....?

I was hearing "Twilight Zone" music there for moment...

Alan

crashdive123
12-01-2017, 07:16 AM
He/she/it was a spammer out of Bangledesh just copy and pasting words that they didn't understand. I couldn't understand them either so the ban hammer was used.

hunter63
12-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Are you sure that wasn't the first contact for "Zorn"?
It's all fun and game till the Mothership coming out from behind the moon.

Every one knows the proper first contact greeting, should be....."Take me to McDonalds"...( I think?)

jackson seroulo
12-02-2017, 05:28 PM
hello people, i just want to share with this store , i find that they have a good thing like this 12 in 1 tool , i get it for free . NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS. MOVE ALONG JUST ANOTHER SPAMMER.