PDA

View Full Version : G dropping

randyt
09-13-2017, 07:40 PM
It was pointed out to me awhile ago that I drop the G from anything with a ing. Like mornin instead of morning. I don't know what it all mean but now I think I talk funny.

Rick
09-13-2017, 09:37 PM
Oh o on. I think that's kind of oofy. ive yourself a break. So you drop g's. You only o around once in life. rab for the usto.

hunter63
09-13-2017, 10:50 PM
You talkin' talkin'?.....or trypin'.........

I'm bad about "for, form and "from".........and lately....keyboard is messing me up as well...."M's" are sticking....(crumbs)...and random word forms are getting more common....as in close enough.....

If you talkin' Talkin"....then....des, dos, dis, dem, der...... bleeds through from the "up nort dar".

kyratshooter
09-13-2017, 11:24 PM
Talkin' at, goin too, fixing on somethin', whatca' doin', where ya goin'. Not to mention you'uns and we'uns and goin' past yonder tree narry a singe time.

You spent your early years in Kentucky, that's the way we talk anywhere from the Ohio River on down.

You don't talk strange, they do!

Phaedrus
09-14-2017, 02:05 AM
At least you don't say "worsh" when you mean 'wash'!:chair::devil2:

crashdive123
09-14-2017, 06:16 AM
I'm originally from New Jersey. If you want to hear funny....go there.

Antonyraison
09-14-2017, 08:00 AM
hahahahahahahaahahah...
I don't know man most americans enunciate stuff weird to me, but then again I suppose South African's sound odd to all.

WolfVanZandt
09-14-2017, 12:42 PM
It's an accent. Everybody has one. It gives you character.

I have five or six in my closet. I take 'em out and look at them occasionally.

:)

kyratshooter
09-14-2017, 12:52 PM
At least you don't say "worsh" when you mean 'wash'!:chair::devil2:

My wife's whole family did the "worsh" instead of wash thing,

It is part of an accent that originated in Virginia and was carried to Missouri. It is one of the most difficult of speech habits to break. The whole family was college educated and still had to "worsh" anything that was dirty.

And they made fun of my southern drawl! At least I knew there was no R in wash!

In the region of southwest Ohio there are a lot of speech patterns that are used only in this remote area. Word usage is a special problem here. They have different meanings for common words/phrases that can cause problems.

Rick
09-14-2017, 02:42 PM
My wife worked with a gal from S. Missouri. She bought a Chest of Drawers that became a Chester Drors. They had a tough time figuring out what she actually bought. The gal from Missouri did not find it funny at all. She was highly insulted.

randyt
09-14-2017, 06:17 PM
When I visit relatives down in Kentucky I'm am sometimes accused of being a canadian. The nerve of some people, just because I add a eh to about everything I say lol. Hillbilly talkin, eh adding, it must be confusing.

Antonyraison
09-15-2017, 04:23 AM
dont stress I am a south african born and raised, and even here some ppl ask if I am from England or Australia....

randyt
09-15-2017, 06:17 AM
no worries mate but to be accused of being canadian LOL

hunter63
09-15-2017, 10:24 AM
DD move to Louisiana about 15 years ago....has the worst drawl even the locals can't understand her.....

WolfVanZandt
09-15-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm a chameleon - I pick up other peoples' mannerisms and such, including accents. The crew on the barges was pretty global and my accent got pretty scrambled. So my accent changes from time to time.

I was in a local Walmart checkout line rambling on at the cashier in a Hispanic accent. It was pretty good but I obviously am not Hispanic. I turn around to see this huge Mexican guy scowling at me.

I can't "do" an accent if I try - only if I'm not trying.

The "mannerisms" thing has caused me problems. I did my practicum at an ARC facility. After a day counseling ARC clients, I walk out to my car and suddenly realize that I'm mimicking them. That sorta slammed home that I had to pay attention to what I was doing.

pete lynch
09-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Here in Slower Lower Delmarva we drop Gs, sometimes replace Ts wid Ds, as in wooder(water) or dorder( daughter) and up in New England, were accused of being southerners. Cuz of da way we talk.

hunter63
09-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Even here....a child hears stuff different....and take years to actually figure out what was said.
Waspebasket..........Waste Paper basket...didn't realise the means till....ah...last Thursday?

Local phrases ...
"Shoot it away"....instead of throw, or threw it away.
"Out in the county....instead of country.
" You's"......used like "you....or " Y'all"

"Tumped over"...sorta a dump and tipped ....Louisiana

"Go to the timber"....instead of woods.....Missouri

kyratshooter
09-15-2017, 07:52 PM
Where I grew up "I don't care for that" meant that you did not like something or did not want to do something.

Here in SW Ohio it means you are willing to do something. "Don't mind if I do" sort of thing.

And the word "Please" has a whole different meaning than a term of polite request.

Around here "please" means "I beg your pardon" or "repeat what you just said" or with the right tone It even means "you have to be lying".

I live right on the north border of the Bluegrass region, 40 miles from Ohio, 10 miles from Indiania and the area is flooding with migrants from Cincinnati, so I have a daily combination of mid-western, southern Ohio, and true southern accents to navigate.

One of my neighbors just adopted an oriental baby so we are still waiting to see what language she speaks.

randyt
09-15-2017, 08:08 PM
who dat? who der?

Rick
09-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Even Snoop Dogg will be confused by that kid.

randyt
09-15-2017, 09:15 PM
My accent gets even worse when I when I take a big chaw of kentucky twist, you would think I was from south Carolina or something.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
09-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Y'all don't know accents. We've got 8 or 10 here in Texas.

Alan

crashdive123
09-16-2017, 06:26 AM
A funny (at least I think so) story about accents here in Florida. Years ago I worked with a guy from Brooklyn. He managed a pest control office in Palm Coast, Florida and was a Lieutenant in the volunteer fire department. He had, as you might imagine, a very, very thick Brooklyn accent. One day I asked him if he every was given a hard time because of his accent. He said that if you live in Palm Coast and don't have a New York accent they give you a hard time.

I've been there quite a few times. He was right.

Rick
09-16-2017, 09:04 AM
My boss had just moved to Tampa and I was down there for work. I went with him to Home Depot. We walked in and he asked one of the guys where the furnace filters were.

"Did you just move to Florida?" the guy asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"We don't have furnaces in Florida. The air conditioner filters are in Aisle 3."

WolfVanZandt
09-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Here, we have everything. The influx of people from all over the country looking to buy marij...uh, I mean looking for great outdoor excitement has brought in all kind of diversity. The Fr over at the Episcopal Church says, "Ya'll". About half the congregation is from "down south" and the rest seems to be from the M's and W's up north. I know the people who are actually from Denver because they're the ones not sniffing and snorting and they don't sweat in the summer. There used to be great drivers up here - considerate, attentive - then California and the South (I can say that since I'm from the South) invaded.

There's a saying, "You can't get any further North than Florida."

"Ever heard of Florida Man?" (I can bring that up because I was born in Florida."

:)

Faiaoga
09-17-2017, 11:09 PM
I once worked with a nice new zealand lady who asked me to drive her on an errand concerning her "leeter". We tried milk, petrol, orange juice and even vodka. I finally figured out that she wanted to mail a letter to her friend
back home. We went to the post office.

Antonyraison
09-18-2017, 08:01 AM
welll we have main accents here mostly English 1st language and Afrikaans 1st language.
the accents sound quiet different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJVMJH5OhI