PDA

View Full Version : A great high energy food

owl_girl
05-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Candied nuts! To get fat, protein, carbs and sugar I use sliced almonds, walnuts and oats. If you use pecans instead of walnuts its best to use them in pieces insted of whole halves cause the sugar will stick better and its the same with using the almonds in slices. Using walnuts is better then using pecans cause they have more protein and other things like calcium and Iron, black walnuts have more protein than english walnut I think but other walnuts are good enough if you cant get the black ones.

Basically what you do is take some butter in a fryingpan and melt it then ad brown sugar untill its thick and mushy then add nuts. The mixture should be a little goopy but thick and coat the nuts (you can add oats now too but I like to wait) Then add cinnamon and or alspice, vanilla and honey or maple syrup or any syrup you like, you dont want it to be too runny though you want it kinda thick but there should be some extra sugar mixture if you havnt added the oats yet. Now put the oats in if you havnt. Add enough till the mixture kinda sticks together then take a cookie sheet and put tinfoil on and and put the mixture on it and set the oven to around 350 f or so and put them in till the oats are slightly crunchy then tak it out to cool. If you put the oats in when you added the nuts you dont need to put them it the oven but I like the crunchyness they get from being in the oven.

You can mess with this recipe alot add different amounts different things till you find what you like, the end result should clump togeather and the sugar mixture should stick to the nuts and caot them.

Another thing you can try is to cook the butter and brown sugar a bit longer till there more liquiddy and caramely then add some cream and wisk together and then add the nuts and vanilla, honey or syrup and spices you like.

This is verry high in calories, fat, carbs and protein. Also the sugar will give you an extra burst of energy while the other stuff kicks in.

You get vitamin E and magnesium, fiber, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and iron, protein and monounsaturated fat from almonds, and you get Omega-3 fatty acids antioxidants, fiber, iron, vitamin B6, a little calcium and protein from walnuts and vitamin E, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, protein, carbs from oats.

I didnt include every vitamin and mineral there is in thos but you get the picture that there healthy :D

I think candied nuts are a great survival food, high in calories and nutrients while being very compact and sooo tasty they are one of my fav and I think could really up the spirits of somone going through a survival situation.

I just roll them into boalls about the size of an orange and wrap in plastick wrap and this works fine for backpacking, hiking, camping.

Aurelius95
05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Great recipe Owl Girl. However, it's lacking a basic ingredient: bacon, and maybe chocolate. But, survivalists like us have to work with what nature provides.

Seriously, though, i'll have to try this recipe.

Thanks!

owl_girl
05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
If your living off the land you could probly use animal fat with maple sugar and syrup and whatever nuts you have in your area and maybe some honey if you can get it. You dont really need to use syrup or honey but I like to. You could throw in dried fruits like raisins, dats, apple or whatever you like, same with other flavorings like you could try almond extract and dried charries, or clove bud and orange zest. Its a very flexible dish to experiment with. I just add everything to the taste and texture I like. Its hard to mess up and you dont really need to use measurements

Ken
05-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Crash and I need a good sample for our Quality Control Report. I suspect that the report will be positive, but we still have a public service to perform!:D

trax
05-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Looks like a great 'recipe' owl_girl, I think I'll go ahead and try it even without the quality control report, but you know if Ken keeps trying sooner or later someone's going to send him food. Have to admire determination.

Ken
05-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Trax, I have no pride whatsoever in matters of food. It's not like I've ever skipped a meal, except when I was too busy to stop to eat, but I've never refused an offer of anything that looks, smells, or sounds good. :p

Love those clients who've brought in that home made wine, home distilled moonshine (yep, even in Massachusetts) lobsters, clams, baked goods :rolleyes: and the list goes on and on and on.

And I can STILL fit into those pants I bought last fall!

Rick
05-21-2008, 05:59 PM
These?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44136000/jpg/_44136519_pants203.jpg

Ken
05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Sorry, too big to wear and I can't eat 'em. Just isn't normal. And you know dern well I was talking about food, Rick. Those are GUY'S underwear and they aren't cherry flavor and they don't have those little red licorice ties on the sides, like these:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-88490122560621_1972_27884569&imgrefurl=http://store.bikini-swimwear.net/ediblepanties.html&h=100&w=100&sz=6&hl=en&start=22&tbnid=eRRvftfmcniy9M:&tbnh=82&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcandy%2Bpanties%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D 2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Rick
05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
And I can STILL fit into those pants I bought last fall!

I suppose I should ask you if you write your own briefs.

Ken
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes, I do. And I have often extended the offer to check out my briefs to many an attractive ......... Sorry, I've said enough about this.

wareagle69
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
great post owl girl looks like you are prepared to eat and not need meat to survive in the bush good job..

Rick
05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
How is the garden coming, WE? Have you been able to put anything in the ground?

wareagle69
05-24-2008, 09:48 PM
well, for a house that has a wood stove there must have been allot of humidity coming from all my aquariums so my sprouts got moldy and died so it has been very cold and wet up here, the mrs and i are replanting this weeknd in pots to start with outdoors and can move around if we have to but i will need to grow lots of carrots for my new kids and most likly plant more apple trees have only 5 right now so much to do so little time and i feel as if im up against a clock

Rick
05-24-2008, 09:53 PM
If your ground is rocky, you will have some funny looking carrots. A carrot will grow around a rock or split and put down two carrots to get past the rock. I took a large pot (about two feet high and two feet diameter) and filled it with a good loose top soil. Then planted my carrots in it. I'll have nice straight carrots that will be easier to harvest. As I use them up, I can plant more seed and eventually move the pot into the house this fall (hopefully) to continue my carrot crop.

wareagle69
05-24-2008, 09:58 PM
i have clay soil not sure how deep it starts can let you know tommorrow got some digging to do, but thats why we figured to start off with container garden

Rick
05-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Raised beds will work well, too. I have quite a bit of stuff in containers this year. Is your father-in-law part of the work crew?:rolleyes: You said in another post he had a large garden and a lot of knowledge.

wareagle69
05-24-2008, 10:16 PM
raised beds are next year, and no he is not part of the crew as much as i want to learn from him there are some issues preventing that. sad he has allot to teach

Rick
05-24-2008, 10:19 PM
That is too bad. Well, anything I can help with just shout my way. Crash gardens, too so yank his chain if you need to.

dragonjimm
05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
recipe looks good i'll give it go....
me and some of the cubscouts made pemmican and hardtack last February and served it at a pack meeting. was funny watching the parents trying to decide who was going to be first
hardtack wasnt bad used a lot more honey then recipe called for and we made peanutbutter pemmican which went over rather well

heres a link for the recipe http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/rohdenburg81a.html

dilligaf2u2
06-04-2008, 07:37 PM
dragonjimm Thanks for the link! I am always looking for ideas for Hard tac.

Don

Rick
06-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I can't handle whole wheat hardtack. I like processed flour the best. Might be just what I'm used to but I've got a batch of whole wheat in the pantry that I stopped eating because I just didn't care for it.

dragonjimm
06-05-2008, 05:57 AM
youre welcome

canid
06-13-2008, 09:33 PM
dragonjimm Thanks for the link! I am always looking for ideas for Hard tac.

Don

me too. best prepreation i've seen so far for traditional hard tac is to boil 1 hour in a pot with several bricks, discard water and hard tac and eat bricks.

SnipAR-10
03-20-2009, 03:19 AM
While some would just see huge "underbritches", I see using a few long cut wood poles and making a tipi with TWO smoke holes.

bulrush
03-23-2009, 08:48 AM
These?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44136000/jpg/_44136519_pants203.jpg

DAY-um!

Rick
03-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Sniper - I sure hope you use clean drawers. I don't even want to think about the flavor added by used ones.:eek:

Bulrush - I think those were made by Omar the Tent Maker.

SnipAR-10
04-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Rick. I'd use them for the shelter, NOT cooking with. (That is an icky thought you had though. ugh.)