PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever wondered........

hunter63
07-17-2017, 11:49 PM
Passing thoughts go thru my mind, from time to time..... and I wonder...?

Now with Google.....now all will be revealed.

Though it would be fun to list thing you always wondered about.

What happens to Spider-man's web after each swing?
One answer....
Peter Parker is a smart kid, and has his web formula engineered to dissolve after a certain time period to avoid the issues you listed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/26flgj/marvel_what_happens_to_spidermans_web_after_each/

Soooo....What do y'all wonder about?

1stimestar
07-18-2017, 01:40 AM
I remember the first thing I did an internet search on was the Watts Towers. That was about 20 years ago.

Wise Old Owl
07-18-2017, 02:07 AM
Yes I wonder....
We all know how Bed Bugs got their name....
We can understand how a Cricket got its name...
We can figure out how a Tick got its name....

But how did the Cockroach get its name?:burst:

Rick
07-18-2017, 07:28 AM
That's easy. They live on roosters.

hunter63
07-18-2017, 09:56 AM
Yes I wonder....
We all know how Bed Bugs got their name....
We can understand how a Cricket got its name...
We can figure out how a Tick got its name....

But how did the Cockroach get its name?:burst:

Good one.......LOL

hunter63
07-18-2017, 10:01 AM
So when buying real estate in California......
Is property on the East side of the San Andreas Fault more expensive than the West side.....(you know maybe there longer?)

hunter63
07-18-2017, 10:12 AM
I remember the first thing I did an internet search on was the Watts Towers. That was about 20 years ago.

Now that is kinda cool....I had never heard of them......I gotta get out more....
Thanks....

My computer at a job, in a previous life was only one of 3 that ran Windows 95/NT w/a phone modem......
Every one else was running DOS...and they kinda had a secret inner group.
Were they ever left behind..... in about 20 minutes.....

I won't even tell you what was the first look up.....I even forget the search engine's name....but was a big vs little comparison question...use your imagination.
Those were real numbers in 1996....now the is no end either way.

WolfVanZandt
07-18-2017, 01:57 PM
I can tell you about the web thing.

Marvel did a title called "Damage Control".

hunter63
07-18-2017, 02:25 PM
I can tell you about the web thing.

Marvel did a title called "Damage Control".

That's cool.....Who thinks up this stuff......LOL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_(comics)

finallyME
07-18-2017, 02:57 PM
So when buying real estate in California......
Is property on the East side of the San Andreas Fault more expensive than the West side.....(you know maybe there longer?)

West side more expensive. The closer to the coast, the more expensive. Beach front is really expensive.

finallyME
07-18-2017, 02:59 PM
I wonder why I still have a P0410 code on my Saturn, despite cleaning out all the lines and checking all the components with everything working as it should. Google hasn't found the problem yet.

Rick
07-18-2017, 03:50 PM
If you drive your car at the speed of light and turn your lights on .... will they work?

hunter63
07-18-2017, 04:19 PM
If you drive your car at the speed of light and turn your lights on .... will they work?

Yes, ....but they will look like lights in the rear view mirror.....

Batch
07-18-2017, 10:11 PM
I had this guy named Tilley that worked at a machine shop next to my dad's company. He swore he had a car that he raced at Dead Man's curve. He said that the car was so fast that the headlight beams bent under the car. I tried to explain somethings to him, but he wasn't having it! LOL

He did machine his self a full auto .45. My dad's shop was in old Pompano. The hood... He would let loose a mag on full auto from time to time when we was putting a couple back. Not a subtle sound. Though, it was quieter then our acetylene beer can canon. We would launch cans into the hood as warning shots. The cops left us alone.

LowKey
07-18-2017, 10:25 PM
I cannot even remember the first thing I looked up online. Despite it being described as available only to "rich" households, we had The Source for several months back in the early 80s for some strange reason. It had to have been some kind of introductory offer and we were only allowed to use it after 7pm at night when the hourly rate wasn't too horrible. It was early internet and I'm betting I either looked up something for a school project or went looking for the latest online game, all text based adventure things back then. Pre-Zork even (our neighbor was tied into the MIT mainframe at the time and all kinds of text based games existed there.) You could chat with people all over the country in an interactive chat room too. No parents' nightmare back then.

So for the question:
Buttered toast always lands on the floor butter side down.
Cats always land on their feet.
If you tie buttered toast to a cat's back, then drop it from a not so great height does it spin in mid-air as a virtual perpetual motion machine?

hunter63
07-18-2017, 10:33 PM
I cannot even remember the first thing I looked up online. Despite it being described as available only to "rich" households, we had The Source for several months back in the early 80s for some strange reason. It had to have been some kind of introductory offer and we were only allowed to use it after 7pm at night when the hourly rate wasn't too horrible. It was early internet and I'm betting I either looked up something for a school project or went looking for the latest online game, all text based adventure things back then. Pre-Zork even (our neighbor was tied into the MIT mainframe at the time and all kinds of text based games existed there.) You could chat with people all over the country in an interactive chat room too. No parents' nightmare back then.

So for the question:
If you tie buttered toast to a cat's back, then drop it from a not so great height does it spin in mid-air as a virtual perpetual motion machine?

Wow, good one.....
So I guess you have to drop it 100 times....and figure the odds.....?

Alan R McDaniel Jr
07-18-2017, 10:39 PM
….
So for the question:

I'n my experience with tying anything on cats, by the time you get through with the tying, you won't care where the damn thing lands as long as it's not on you.

Alan

Batch
07-18-2017, 10:56 PM
My dad bought a Tandy TSR80 Color computer that was programmed in Color BASIC. It had 4K of RAM, no hard drive, a rom pack slot for games, a cassette deck for storage. My Dad's friend made a modem that you set the headrest from the phone into and you touch toned into Compuserve. You got so many minutes of BBS and a cassette with BASIC programs on it.

There was like one book written in Color BASIC and the syntax was slightly diffrent. So, you had to do a lot of rewriting and trouble shooting to get BASIC programs to work.

Text adventure games and lots of stupid programs that ended up being just more than 4K could run were typed (programed in).

I got the internet at work in 1996 and had a DSL line and a network I set up at work in 1997. I got the internet at home in 1998. Dial up and within a year or two DSL. My first search was on hacking Sat TV signals. LOL

WolfVanZandt
07-19-2017, 02:44 PM
The cool thing about those Color Computers is that you could program them (easily) using assembly language and, if you were into electronics, you could build other stuff that would plug into that side port, like a controller. They were so simple back then that you could actually do things with them.

I sold them. I had more than one customer call me and ask, "Now that I have the program off the tape and in the computer, how do I get it back onto the tape."

hunter63
07-19-2017, 04:20 PM
I'n my experience with tying anything on cats, by the time you get through with the tying, you won't care where the damn thing lands as long as it's not on you.

Alan

Now that is funny....Bhohahahaha.
I know giving one a bath is like washing a chain saw when it running.

Had a VIC 20...code could be put on cassettes.....

One activity was playing simple music ...like... twinkle twinkle little star....
But you could kinda tell how old the person was the wrote the manual....in how some instructions were written.

Instruction were listing locations of different notes....C+f20 for whatever...and so forth....at the end was a location for "white noise".

Manual said: White noise isn't real useful unless you are playing first chair computer for Pink Floyd.....Can't imagine a "older person writing that....most likely a 15 years old....

WolfVanZandt
07-20-2017, 12:32 PM
By the way, I'm told by Coyote that early Spiderman comics explained that his webs are biodegradable - they disappear after a couple of hours. You know, that's just one more thing in my head that I don't need there......

Rick
07-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Well just great. Now all the bad guys know all they have to do is wait a couple of hours, the webs will disappear and they won't be tied up any more. Way to go.

WolfVanZandt
07-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that's always been the problem with the news services.

madmax
07-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Have you ever wondered if Spider-Man scares Rick?

Rick
07-21-2017, 01:51 PM
I respect Spider Man. I'm scared spitless of Chuck Norris.

WalkingTree
07-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Oh...I'm constantly googling something. It's a heck of a thing...to always wonder about something and be able to jump onto google and find out.

You tube too. A guy, while vacuuming swimming pool, had always filled his line with the water hose. Made him nervous to see me just push the line into the water a certain way. Was worried about air getting into the pump. I explained how it's like when you stick your straw down into your drink. Just plain physics. Still didn't like it. So I had to do you tube search and show him how the professionals either do it my way or by holding the line up to the outlet jets. Very few stick their water hose in it. Poof, done.

madmax
07-21-2017, 02:11 PM

https://youtu.be/QwLesQCx9FE?t=3

hunter63
07-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Doing some more cleaning in the basement after the flood.....'Wife says, let's get those cobwebs cleaned up as well.......
So what the difference between a spider web vs a cobwebs....."

Quote>
Cobwebs appear indoors (houses, sheds, barns, etc); spiderwebs are outside. <quote...

So there you have it....LOL

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-spider-webs-and-cobwebs

Does that mean there is a "Cobman" as well?

Alan R McDaniel Jr
07-21-2017, 03:13 PM

You probably don't want to mess with "Cobman". I think he lives in that hole in the outhouse.

Alan

Rick
07-21-2017, 04:17 PM
Cobman walks funny. Just sayin'.

hunter63
07-21-2017, 05:12 PM
You probably don't want to mess with "Cobman". I think he lives in that hole in the outhouse.

Alan

Don't look down.......

rebel
07-21-2017, 07:20 PM
What's the fascination for scary movies. People don't understand that people can actually be that are scary and, by that by the time the cops respond you're toast.

crashdive123
07-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Doing some more cleaning in the basement after the flood.....'Wife says, let's get those cobwebs cleaned up as well.......
So what the difference between a spider web vs a cobwebs....."

Quote>
Cobwebs appear indoors (houses, sheds, barns, etc); spiderwebs are outside. <quote...

So there you have it....LOL

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-spider-webs-and-cobwebs

So when Mrs. H63 says "let's" she really means (as most wives do) you .... right.

hunter63
07-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Yup...."We"....Means "Me"
To expand a bit...."All WE have to do is.......Means me as well.....Unless I say it... then it means "You"

They teach that in "Wife stuff- 101"

hunter63
07-21-2017, 07:45 PM

Even the Boogeyman checks under his bed for Chuck Norris......

Rick
07-21-2017, 07:47 PM
There is Wife English and Husband English. You had better understand both. If you don't the only thing you'll need to know is Lonesome Guy English.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Good one.......LOL

never say the owl is boring....

hunter63
07-21-2017, 10:33 PM
never say the owl is boring....

Soooo .....What the answer or was that one of those rectal questions?

Manwithnoname
07-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Nowadays everyone you Google something they learn as much about you as you do what you're googling. I use duckduckgo these days.

Wise Old Owl
07-22-2017, 12:19 PM
I like duck duck go with Adblock on the smart phone keeps the volume of data down.

On a different note If someone was using a wood stove to keep warm in a cabin - and a water boiler was added to the stove top with the right safety equipment why could it not make 125 volt generator/ with regulator go? the excess heated water would be dumped into a floor radiator system then returned. I have never seen one...

WolfVanZandt
07-22-2017, 01:12 PM
I seriously doubt that Google could find out anything about me that isn't already there.

madmax
07-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Somebody on another forum warned me about "getting on a list".

way too late.

kyratshooter
07-22-2017, 02:51 PM
I like duck duck go with Adblock on the smart phone keeps the volume of data down.

On a different note If someone was using a wood stove to keep warm in a cabin - and a water boiler was added to the stove top with the right safety equipment why could it not make 125 volt generator/ with regulator go? the excess heated water would be dumped into a floor radiator system then returned. I have never seen one...

It's called central steam heat with steam turbine generator. Been around for a hundred fifty years or so.

As for "the list".

I thought we were the reason they made the list!

Alan R McDaniel Jr
07-22-2017, 03:49 PM
I Google myself from time to time. All that shows up is posts on forums like these.

Alan

hunter63
07-22-2017, 04:41 PM
I've Googled myself a few times....and it does list others with the same last name.

I know and am related to all of them......Kinda weird.

Rick
07-22-2017, 04:47 PM
The only time Google displays this is when I put my name in. I think I break it or something. I often smell smoke when it happens so I don't know.

http://bartonlimoservice.com/_imgstore/4/1519844/background/s9yXTdtrOaUpxZLJ3MjFl22YxJI.png

Wise Old Owl
07-22-2017, 07:31 PM
It's called central steam heat with steam turbine generator. Been around for a hundred fifty years or so.

As for "the list".

I thought we were the reason they made the list!

STILL LOOKING... not much here when adding small.

crashdive123
07-22-2017, 08:06 PM
Size matters. At least that's what I've been told. :innocent:

Manwithnoname
07-22-2017, 11:27 PM
Ever wonder why you Google Cherokee purple tomatoes and you choose a sight to look at pops up that Victoria's secret nighty you've been checkin out for.your wife/gf? Thats why I use duckduckgo. Exactly like those homeland savings cards. No thanks, I'll forego that $.50 discount think you very much.

Manwithnoname
07-22-2017, 11:29 PM
Just like the GD spellcheck error corrections in my previous post!!

hunter63
07-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Gotta love the search....paid ads...
Dog DoDo.....
Get the best prices on Dog Do Do for Amazon.com...
free shipping for over $35 bucks worth of Dog Do Do...

Heard somewhere that Google,... is a women...they always finish your sentences for you.

rebel
08-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Yea, why don't they have Billy Jack movie reruns?

Rick
08-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Because by now everyone knows you can't beat Billy Jack.

"I'm gonna take this right foot and put on that side of your face and there is nothing you can do to stop it."

You gotta respect a guy that can lift his foot higher than his knee without falling over or holding on to the bed post.