PDA

View Full Version : Shaving beard with a knife

gcckoka
05-29-2017, 04:19 AM
I had this obsession of shaving with my knife since I was a very young child , now at last I had the opportunity to make my knife that sharp so I did it and filmed a video while making it Hope you guys enjoy it, plus the hd is quite thick , if I used a thinner blade it would be better but this is the sharpest knife I have.
Kids dont try this at home or you may end up with one ear or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGtDjMfmiEE

crashdive123
05-29-2017, 06:18 AM
You said you were nervous about cutting yourself.....don't worry, chicks dig scars.

Rick
05-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Somewhere Gillette and Mora execs are high fiving each other.

hunter63
05-29-2017, 10:09 AM
LOL....well an axe would have been more impressive.....LOL
Cool stuff...Thanks

RangerXanatos
05-30-2017, 01:05 PM
I have found it hard to do the chin and mustache as well. The left side of my face has been the easiest since I'm right handed.

kyratshooter
05-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Back n the day, before safety razors, it was rare for a man to shave himself, and shaving was not a daily occurrence for most of the population.

The barber shop was a much more popular place back then. Businessmen stopped in for their daily shave before going to work and most shops had a line of shaving mugs on the wall for their regular customers. Even the average workmen could afford a shave and haircut every week or two at the cost of a few pennies.

My grandfather was a barber outside Detroit and told stories about the price of a shave and haircut going down to 10 cents during the depression.

People out in the country did not have the convenience of a neighborhood barber and the long beards identified them as folk from the back woods.

el-amigo
05-30-2017, 02:35 PM
It is definitely a good skill during a survival situation, though in my situation, my skin on my face is very thin (really :)) and sensitive, and I'd never use a knife for shaving.

When a barber sharpened and stropped (I hope I write it well) a razor, then it removed most of the burr, the microscopic serrations from the edge.
It gave the razor a good, flat edge area that could simply slide on the skin without hurting it too much.
A knife, especially a good survival knife should not be stropped this precisely, it has a burr on the edge all the time.
This burr would cut into the skin during the shaving.

Afterall I just wanted to say that thanks for sharing it. :)

hunter63
05-30-2017, 02:43 PM
I don't shave..so.....

crashdive123
05-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Shaving with a knife demonstrates that your knife is sharp enough to shave. Shaving in a "survival situation" is the last thing on my list of things to do.

JohnLeePettimore
06-01-2017, 09:03 AM
I think this says it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lId5Huti_tQ

hunter63
06-01-2017, 10:45 AM
I had this obsession of shaving with my knife since I was a very young child ,.....snip

LOL......Sorry but struck me funny....
Well I always had a beard as well....but kept it on the inside till about age 13 or so....
Didn't think about shaving it...till.......well...never?

madmax
06-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Shaving with a knife demonstrates that your knife is sharp enough to shave. Shaving in a "survival situation" is the last thing on my list of things to do.

I have no words for this. Other than I have never ever contemplated "survival" shaving.

jpqs
06-01-2017, 11:41 AM
When I was living in the forest last summer my hair grew a lot over the months and I decided to cut it with my knife. I spent a long time trying to cut my hair, but it was super painful. After struggling and cursing for an hour my partner didn't notice any difference. I gave up. A few weeks later I found some scissors in a trapper's cabin and cut my hair with them. I've read that the Yahi people used to burn their hair as a way of mourning. So I think the best way of cutting relatively short hair without scissors (primitively) would be to burn it.

hunter63
06-01-2017, 01:25 PM
When I was living in the forest last summer my hair grew a lot over the months and I decided to cut it with my knife. I spent a long time trying to cut my hair, but it was super painful. After struggling and cursing for an hour my partner didn't notice any difference. I gave up. A few weeks later I found some scissors in a trapper's cabin and cut my hair with them. I've read that the Yahi people used to burn their hair as a way of mourning. So I think the best way of cutting relatively short hair without scissors (primitively) would be to burn it.

No...It wouldn't....
TISFSICBI

madmax
06-01-2017, 01:32 PM
"Hey! Hold my beer while I light my hair on fire!!!!"

... and the mullet went up in flames...

crashdive123
06-01-2017, 03:27 PM
I loved smoked mullet dip.

Oh wait......you were talking about something else.

madmax
06-01-2017, 03:59 PM
This could be the start of something big for the ladies.

The Brazilian Burn.

crashdive123
06-01-2017, 07:36 PM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Rick
06-01-2017, 07:40 PM
You, uh, do know short hair doesn't need to be trimmed, right?

Hey Hunter. Give them the name of your Fire Chief.

hunter63
06-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Real short hair just needs a spit shine every so often........

Billofthenorth
06-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Do the pubes next! :)

I saw something like that in a movie long ago, shaving the face with a knife, not the pubes thing though now that I think about it...:w00t:
I also saw the burning off the hair trick in a movie too. I have no idea if it might work, seems doable though. The guy took a smoldering stick and singed the hair off. I imagine it's an acquired skill but if enough friends and relatives died you'd eventually get the hang of it.