PDA

View Full Version : Polish Tantal AK74 Review

MonsterMash
05-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Polish Tantal AK74 Review

With the rising ammo prices, and 5.45 x 39 ammo still fairly inexpensive, I decided to pick up an AK74 clone. I paid $159 for 1000 rounds of Wolf 70gr FMJ for it as well. Anyway, I settled on the Polish Tantal type rifle, with the side folding stock. The fit of the gun itself is great. The stock is a little wobbly but thats fine. This rifle isn't made to be a match gun.

Shooting impresstions: This gun was a dream to shoot. I mean a pure dream. I don't know if the round was so light, or the Tantal muzzle brake actually cut that much off the recoil, but the gun had virtually NO recoil. NONE. It was like shooting a .22 long rifle, but in a combat rifle package. It was reasonably accurate. It would keep minute-of-melon I suspect. It would also make a good vehicle weapon. Since it folds up so compactly, it would be easy to manuver in close confines.

Cons: The gun heats up fast. The plastic front handguards don't do much to keep the heat away from your hands. If I can find some aftermarket handguards that will fit, that will be repalced. May have to go to a "K" grip configuration.

Final impressions: I'll give it a 6 out of 10. It does exactly what it was designed to do. Spit out bullets in a general area, quickly. Its ugly, but runs like a machine. Typical, boring AK reliabillity. But its much cheaper than an AR, and ammo by the case is less than half of 223 right now. Mags are a little pricey, but not bad.