PDA

View Full Version : I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.

alaskabushman
02-28-2017, 08:46 PM
We have been having some nice clear weather for the last week or so, clear and just above freezing during the day. I checked the weather and we had a winter storm warning starting today thru Thursday which involved as much as 16'' of fresh snow. So yesterday I decided since I had the day off I might as well go out and get a truckload of firewood while I can still get up the driveway. I still have enough to get through the winter but figured I'd keep ahead, since there is no such thing as too much firewood.

I've been using wood heat exclusively since we moved out here in 2003, and I have cut countless cords of wood. I try to be as careful as possible and have the utmost respect for chainsaws and falling trees...or so I thought. When felling a tree I always make sure I have a route to safety, hearing protection (to save what little hearing is left) and usually eyewear.

I had the first two trees down and dragged them out of the woods along the road. Bucked them up and split them, then stacked them in the pickup. I had just enough room for one more small tree, so I looked around and found a nice candidate. about 30 feet tall but only 14'' at the butt and I decided that it could fall easily in the direction of the road, even without wedges.

I found my safe spot, next to a medium live hemlock about 10' away and proceeded to make my cuts in the dead standing tree. All was well and the tree began to tip in the right direction. I pulled the saw and turned around to make my way to the "safe" location behind me. A small stumble caused me to take an extra large step to catch my balance, when I did I turned to watch the falling tree, only to see the top 6' of the tree stab into the ground only inches from my feet. The momentum slammed the log into my chest and knocked me back a step, but did no damage.

Unharmed, but with a serious butt pucker, I stood there for a minute just looking at the "widowmaker" that had tried to live up to its namesake. A quick prayer of thanks and I proceeded to pull out the log (which went exactly where I wanted it) and top off the truck with firewood.

I guess the moral of the story is never assume you are safe, we always think bad things happen to "other" people, never to us. Had it not been for that small stumble, the story might have ended differently. Be safe out there guys, pay attention, and remember that no amount of "experience" can keep you from making that one mistake.

Excuse me while I go to Amazon to buy a hardhat.

hunter63
02-28-2017, 09:02 PM
That was a close call, and a great reminder to all.......and always seeem to happen when you are tired and in a hurry....

Wore a hard hat/safety glasses on the job...so that's second nature...
Chaps were added several years ago when I noticed a little "nuchy" of pulled up thread on my right jean pocket......Chain nooot quiiite stopped when I set it on my leg to use my left hand.

Tokwan
02-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Glad no injuries on you..that could have been a real bummer.

crashdive123
02-28-2017, 10:01 PM
I use a Stihl hard hat with built in ear muffs and eye/face protection. Some people laugh.....those with scars want to know where I got it.

1stimestar
03-01-2017, 02:31 AM
Whew. Guardian angels at work there huh? Glad you're ok.

Rick
03-01-2017, 09:43 AM
They are not to be taken lightly. Several years ago I dropped a tree and bucked it. I was down to the last small limb and when I touched the saw to it the blasted thing kicked back and hit me in the face, neck and chest. I was fortunate that the chain grabbed my T-shirt and that killed the motor. The injuries were minor but there none-the-less. Could have been a whole lot different.

fjrmurph
03-01-2017, 10:06 AM
glad it all worked out in your favor , falling trees and running a chainsaw can be very dangerous . Sometimes it takes a close call like this to open our eyes and make us stop and think about all the possible dangers.

kaze
03-17-2017, 09:27 AM
That's a good lesson to learn. It's also one reason why I don't use chainsaw, it cuts too fast that it's scary. And it's too loud. I like felling trees the old fashion way with an axe. I enjoy the slow pace, chopping at it in a meditative rhythm and then watch it fall gracefully.

alaskabushman
03-17-2017, 10:46 AM
glad it all worked out in your favor , falling trees and running a chainsaw can be very dangerous . Sometimes it takes a close call like this to open our eyes and make us stop and think about all the possible dangers.

I generally am pretty safe, I've been cutting firewood for a long time. I respect the saw, the falling tree and do my best to just get out of the way! My lesson was that there are always more safety measure we can take, and more things we can to to ensure the best chance of making it out alive. Accidents can still happen, but if we prepare properly, then we may live to tell about it.

That's a good lesson to learn. It's also one reason why I don't use chainsaw, it cuts too fast that it's scary. And it's too loud. I like felling trees the old fashion way with an axe. I enjoy the slow pace, chopping at it in a meditative rhythm and then watch it fall gracefully.

I'm all for doing things the old fashioned, I enjoy the slow methodical pace once and a while. However, I try to get around 8 cords of wood put up before winter, I want nothing to do with falling and bucking by hand. I often split about half of that by hand, but I also use a wood splitter for the nasty stuff. I move it with my truck, no a horse drawn wagon. I use a BBQ lighter to light the fire in the morning.
You see, I have other hobbies and things I enjoy doing. Using modern tools and methods lets me have that extra time. Besides, these aren't little 6 or 7 inch trees, I'm falling trees up to 35 inches in diameter. sure you can do that with an axe...how much time do you have?

hunter63
03-17-2017, 11:21 AM

Nothing wrong with not using a chainsaw.... or any power tool for that matter.
Fear will cause problems.....

That said....proper instruction and practice will help overcome many fears.

As a young man, a bow saw was my favorite tool ....

Now I am older, I feel that I need a chainsaw if I want to get any real work done....

I would become "one with the tree"...after I get it the heck out of the trail and out of my way...and produce two tractor buckets of firewood for the wood stove.

Actually these days, it more and more:
"Hello?, Rick?...got time to stop by, cut and split the tree up?...It's in my way"
"Grandson will do it?...Fine, send him over....."

I guess being successful..or just old, LOL, means, you can afford better equipment then you ever had....but the Doc says ..."Don't do "that" any more."

Rick
03-17-2017, 04:23 PM
What do you mean chainsaws make noise? I can't get the darn things to work right. You push it back and forth against the tree and the chain keeps rolling. Doesn't cut worth a darn.

kyratshooter
03-17-2017, 04:24 PM

Kaze, you have the innate ability to phrase things in a way that makes people feel they have to justify natural, legal and normal activities.

The only "meditative" activity I ever had when cutting wood was the meditation I did while counting the cords to cipher if I had enough wood to keep the family warm, or if I needed to fill the chainsaw one more time and go back and kill some more trees before dark.

Cutting wood was not recreation or a religious activity, it was work done to keep the family safe and warm and it required a chainsaw, and a backup chainsaw in case the first one broke. If both broke you borrowed one from a neighbor.

To a person that burns wood as their only heat source the sound of that chainsaw running at top RPM is music more beautiful than any orchestra can make.

crashdive123
03-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Thank goodness my chainsaws cut fast. It means I have good quality saws and that I have done a proper job sharpening the chains. Nothing wrong with using an ax, but I reserve that for backpacking and camping, as chainsaws weigh me down quite a bit.

alaskabushman
03-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Kaze, you have the innate ability to phrase things in a way that makes people feel they have to justify natural, legal and normal activities.

The only "meditative" activity I ever had when cutting wood was the meditation I did while counting the cords to cipher if I had enough wood to keep the family warm, or if I needed to fill the chainsaw one more time and go back and kill some more trees before dark.

Cutting wood was not recreation or a religious activity, it was work done to keep the family safe and warm and it required a chainsaw, and a backup chainsaw in case the first one broke. If both broke you borrowed one from a neighbor.

To a person that burns wood as their only heat source the sound of that chainsaw running at top RPM is music more beautiful than any orchestra can make.

You said it! When it comes down to staying warm in the winter, I couldn't care less about meditation.

hunter63
03-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Was splitting wood from the big downed oak ,I was salvaging out of the ravine...was about 30" in dia.

Misting and about 50 degrees....was using the 18" saw to cut the rounds in 1/2...so I could lift them to the splitter.

Working on the last load....clouds broke over the ridge to the west...just as the sun was going down...and a beautiful golden ball shinning as it was setting....whispering....real soft.........well, maybe no so much of a whisper...heard clearly.... "It's Miller Time"!

Now that is medication.

kaze
03-18-2017, 03:45 AM

Sadly, I never intend it to be a criticism of other's activities, more about why I do the things I do. But yea, this "innate ability" has ruin my past relationships. It no wonder my ex get pissed at me so many times when I say the wrong things. Can't help it. :(

kyratshooter
03-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Sadly, I never intend it to be a criticism of other's activities, more about why I do the things I do. But yea, this "innate ability" has ruin my past relationships. It no wonder my ex get pissed at me so many times when I say the wrong things. Can't help it. :(

That is the biggest load of crap I ever heard. It is giving yourself permission to pi$$ people off and rob them of their own validity while holding your actions as superior. The proper term is condescending, and it can be stopped. But you have to think about what you are saying before you let it out of your mouth or hit the "post quick reply" button. Hitting that button is always a choice, not a necessity or compulsion.

The best example I have ever seen was your thread on overcoming the "guilt of hunting".

The use of the word guilt automatically implies that one has done something wrong. So the post begins with the actual statement "you are doing something wrong so how do you justify that?"

You are forcing your guilt ridden value system on anyone and everyone that hunts when hunting is a legal, ethical and healthy activity that contributes to the proper management and survival of game species.

So we get our food wrong and now we cut wood wrong. You have people justifying their actions in both threads when they have done nothing wrong to justify.

Chain saws are loud and they scare you. That is your problem and presenting avoidance of their use as some spiritual action is only a cover for your fear.

Just remember that this is not Mother Earth News. The members here try to be polite, but are far from politically correct, and this is not a "safe place" filled with tree huggers, vegetarians and snowflakes.

Desert Rat!
03-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Scared of the chainsaw??.....Snowflake is my new favorite word.

Wildthang
03-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Nothing like the smell of 2 cycle smoke on a chilly fall morning, that's zen!!!!

madmax
03-21-2017, 01:09 PM
I used to forbid my employees from using the chainsaws (Landscaping business). Cited insurance and risk and whatever came to mind. Truth is I liked it. That was my domain. But I wasn't cutting firewood for a Canadian winter either.

alaskabushman
03-21-2017, 01:29 PM
This is my "Manliness" barometer.

-Milquetoast-
limp wrist handshake
comb in back pocket
flailing arms while running
Iced frappuccino in hand

-Man child-
Lives with mom
Drives his girlfriends car
says "eeeew"
wears flannel that has never been dirty

-Man-
Drives a truck
Afternoon shadow
Makes his own chili
Can sharpen his own knife
Mows his own lawn

-Manly Man-
Full beard
Knows what "cork boots" are
Can change a flat tire in 5 minutes flat
Has a collection of tools, and knows how to use them

-Man God-
Runs a chainsaw for therapy
Shaves with a straight razor
Clips his toe nails with a multi-tool
Castrates his own animals

hunter63
03-21-2017, 02:42 PM
LOL.....Good list......

You forgot Geezer....

Drive one of two trucks at a time...EDD and Trip/Sunday.
Doesn't care about fuel mileage as long as you can pull a loaded trailer over the mountains in cruise control.

White shorter beard...#4 on the trimmer.....Doesn't want to be bothered with shaving...

Has new Outdoor equipment...after rebuilding, salvaging, buying used and patching up stuff since childhood......
Doc says, Don't use them.

Thinks old tractors are cooler than Camaro's, UTV cooler than Harleys.

Has flip phone, motor club card and credit card.....and knows how to use them

Calls some one to cover the heavy stuff....and feeling less and less bad about it.

Naps are good......

Couldn't care less what others think....

kyratshooter
03-21-2017, 05:19 PM
I have to suggest an addition to the category of "man child" in the transportation section where "girlfriend's car" should have the addition of "cream puff vehicle" as a generic alternative with "hybrid" as the ultimate option.

Sadly, I seem to fit into Hunter's category more than the others.

Sometimes I feel like one of the old geezers in a John Wayne movie that just sits there all old and grizzled and takes crap off everyone until he finally blows somebody away with the shotgun he has under the table.

yamaracer
03-21-2017, 10:11 PM
people that have never really cut firewood do not understand the dangers involved!! we had a guy that logs for a living get killed here a year or so ago...
i have great respect for trees and saws when i'm out cutting!!!

alaskabushman
03-22-2017, 01:27 AM
people that have never really cut firewood do not understand the dangers involved!! we had a guy that logs for a living get killed here a year or so ago...
i have great respect for trees and saws when i'm out cutting!!!

I've always tried to approach falling trees and running saws with attention and respect. I've never had an accident...the incident with the broken tree top is the closest I've come.
It was a good reminder that no matter how careful we think we are, there is always room to be even safer.

I ended up buying one of the hardhat/faceshield/earmuff combo's at my local Sthil dealer and a pair of chaps at a moving sale.

kaze
03-22-2017, 08:15 AM
That is the biggest load of crap I ever heard. It is giving yourself permission to pi$$ people off and rob them of their own validity while holding your actions as superior. The proper term is condescending, and it can be stopped. But you have to think about what you are saying before you let it out of your mouth or hit the "post quick reply" button. Hitting that button is always a choice, not a necessity or compulsion.

The best example I have ever seen was your thread on overcoming the "guilt of hunting".

The use of the word guilt automatically implies that one has done something wrong. So the post begins with the actual statement "you are doing something wrong so how do you justify that?"

You are forcing your guilt ridden value system on anyone and everyone that hunts when hunting is a legal, ethical and healthy activity that contributes to the proper management and survival of game species.

So we get our food wrong and now we cut wood wrong. You have people justifying their actions in both threads when they have done nothing wrong to justify.

Chain saws are loud and they scare you. That is your problem and presenting avoidance of their use as some spiritual action is only a cover for your fear.

Just remember that this is not Mother Earth News. The members here try to be polite, but are far from politically correct, and this is not a "safe place" filled with tree huggers, vegetarians and snowflakes.

True, I should choose my words more wisely as not to insinuate the wrong message. I know people on here are not as easily offended so I let loose my thoughts more readily to get their honest inputs. As for the Chainsaw, the loud noise bothers me the most. I know to some the sound of chainsaws is music to their ears but for me I like the sound of an axe chopping on a tree. Best sound in the wilderness.

kaze
03-22-2017, 08:25 AM

-Milquetoast-
limp wrist handshake
comb in back pocket
Iced frappuccino in hand

-Man child-
Lives with mom
says "eeeew"

-Man-
Drives a truck
Afternoon shadow
Makes his own chili
Mows his own lawn

-Manly Man-
Full beard

-Man God-

Good list. But I'll add a few to Man God:

Builds cabin with his own hands.
Grows and Hunt his own food.
Has more mileage on his two legs than his vehicle.

finallyME
03-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Have you stopped beating your wife? If anyone is interested, look up "loaded question" or "presumption of guilt" fallacies.

finallyME
03-22-2017, 11:05 AM
I am scared to death of chainsaws as well. Which is why I use mine carefully. The local farm store started carrying Stihl stuff, so I plan to get that cool hard hat with the face shield and muffs. Also, they have the super bright chaps. I still use my saw, as much as I need to.

I also am scared of my table saw. Those things are crazy scary. But man, are they nice to have and use.

Before my grandpa died, I asked him if he liked to do woodworking the old fashion way without power tools. His response was NO WAY. He will take his power tools any day of the week. It also reminds me of a sermon a guy in my church gave recently. Don't worry, no religious message to follow. Anyways, he was telling the story of when he was at his father's cabin in the mountains. He looked out the big window to view the mountains and noticed a power pole smack dab in the middle of the view. He asked his dad why the power pole was there, right in the middle of the view, it ruined everything. His dad told him that he loved that view. The pole meant that he didn't have to carry water, or light lamps, or store ice.... and a myriad of other chores that power made easier. To the older man, the power pole meant freedom.

finallyME
03-22-2017, 11:17 AM

-Milquetoast-
limp wrist handshake
comb in back pocket
Iced frappuccino in hand

-Man child-
Lives with mom
says "eeeew"

-Man-
Drives a truck
Afternoon shadow
Makes his own chili
Mows his own lawn

-Manly Man-
Full beard

-Man God-

Man, I don't fall into any of those. My first car was my wife's car. I don't drive a truck, although we do have a Tahoe now that I use as a truck all the time. I do have an afternoon shadow, make my own chili and sharpen my knives...but I don't mow my lawn. I have 3 sons. The youngest is 7, so that puts me at least 10 more years of not mowing my own lawn. That would seem to put me between man child and man. However, I also own a large collection of tools that I use a lot, and I can change a flat tire pretty fast. Anyways...good list. :)

hunter63
03-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Had a "Riding kid lawn mower" back when...Ride him long enough he would cut the grass.....LOL

alaskabushman
03-22-2017, 12:22 PM
The local farm store started carrying Stihl stuff, so I plan to get that cool hard hat with the face shield and muffs.

I don't know if "cool" is the right word for them...but they are certainly much safer! A whole lot cheaper than a trip to the hospital too!

I also am scared of my table saw. Those things are crazy scary. But man, are they nice to have and use.

Table saws deserve a lot of respect. Being a professional carpenter means I have to use a table saw almost daily. I still have all my fingers but many guys I have worked with do not.
Kickback is what you need to watch for, I've seen a table saw kick a piece of trim back 20' and stuck it into the wall of the shop. Thankfully the saw operator has unharmed, but the shops owner left it embedded in the wall as a reminder to everyone else.

Before my grandpa died, I asked him if he liked to do woodworking the old fashion way without power tools. His response was NO WAY. He will take his power tools any day of the week. It also reminds me of a sermon a guy in my church gave recently. Don't worry, no religious message to follow. Anyways, he was telling the story of when he was at his father's cabin in the mountains. He looked out the big window to view the mountains and noticed a power pole smack dab in the middle of the view. He asked his dad why the power pole was there, right in the middle of the view, it ruined everything. His dad told him that he loved that view. The pole meant that he didn't have to carry water, or light lamps, or store ice.... and a myriad of other chores that power made easier. To the older man, the power pole meant freedom.

I have a foot in both worlds. I can really appreciate slowing down and using the old tools of the past. They don't need recharged, extension cords, noisy generators or mixed gas. There is a certain skill lever required when using the old tools and just slowing down in general and paying close attention to detail...
But when I really want to get something done, I'll take my cordless drill, power saw and nail gun any day of the week. Twice on Sunday. Having modern tools allows me to get the job done faster, so that I have more time to do things that I would rather be doing. Like spending time with family or just being out in the woods.

Man, I don't fall into any of those. My first car was my wife's car. I don't drive a truck, although we do have a Tahoe now that I use as a truck all the time. I do have an afternoon shadow, make my own chili and sharpen my knives...but I don't mow my lawn. I have 3 sons. The youngest is 7, so that puts me at least 10 more years of not mowing my own lawn. That would seem to put me between man child and man. However, I also own a large collection of tools that I use a lot, and I can change a flat tire pretty fast. Anyways...good list. :)

I just made that list up for fun, I too fall into more than one category. I don't mow my own lawn since I don't have one. I don't shave with a straight razor either, but (when I actually do shave) I do use an old timey safety razor.

hunter63
03-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Yeah you left out a lot's of stuff.....
This could get to be a long list....still fun.

Antonyraison
03-23-2017, 03:18 AM

-Milquetoast-
limp wrist handshake
comb in back pocket
Iced frappuccino in hand

-Man child-
Lives with mom
says "eeeew"

-Man-
Drives a truck
Afternoon shadow
Makes his own chili
Mows his own lawn

-Manly Man-
Full beard

-Man God-

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahah I love this.....

yeah man it's just hilarious how vastly different areas have I would say similar standards on Manhood.
It's about the same here.

finallyME
03-23-2017, 11:00 AM
I don't shave with a straight razor either, but (when I actually do shave) I do use an old timey safety razor.

I switched to a safety razor a year or so back.... will never go back. I bought 100 high quality blades on Amazon for $10. Those should last 3 or 4 years. I shave once a week, on Sunday, for the wife. With the safety razors, I only use a blade twice, which means 4 times total because there are two blades on it, then I throw it away. Before I used the Mach 3 from gillet, which I also like, but can't afford to buy new blades that much. With high quality blades, the safety razor is better than any other razor on the market IMHO. I also have a straight razor that I inherited from my wife's grandpa, still learning on it.

alaskabushman
03-23-2017, 12:02 PM
I switched to a safety razor a year or so back.... will never go back. I bought 100 high quality blades on Amazon for $10. Those should last 3 or 4 years. I shave once a week, on Sunday, for the wife. With the safety razors, I only use a blade twice, which means 4 times total because there are two blades on it, then I throw it away. Before I used the Mach 3 from gillet, which I also like, but can't afford to buy new blades that much. With high quality blades, the safety razor is better than any other razor on the market IMHO. I also have a straight razor that I inherited from my wife's grandpa, still learning on it.

Stop copying me.

hunter63
03-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Can't relate......

I have had a beard all my life.....used to keep it on the inside till about age 13....been wearing it on the outside ever since.....
Shaved it off once..... 2 year old daughter was scared to death.....said "Put it back on...."

alaskabushman
03-23-2017, 01:57 PM
I'll typically wear a beard for about 7-8 months, get tired of it and shave it off. Then I wonder what horror I've committed when I scare myself in the mirror. Then I grow it back out and the cycle continues.

I had a friend who passed away last year. His dad had worn a beard for his entire life. He didn't even know what his dad looked like without a beard. Neither did his mom come to think of it...

hunter63
03-23-2017, 02:19 PM
That's me, pretty much...Always had a beard.

I grow it out till about Christmas....crop it short then keep it trimmed till about August than let it grow out again.

kaze
03-24-2017, 01:32 AM
I wish I could grow a full beard. Always admire people who has the genes for it.

hunter63
03-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Man's Man...
Doesn't pay any attention labels, couldn't care less what others think and is too busy to make lists....

Also gets misty eyed at sad dog stories...and doesn't care who knows it....and likes dogs more the most people...
Had to throw that in there....Was just puppy day....LOL

hunter63
03-24-2017, 11:22 AM
I wish I could grow a full beard. Always admire people who has the genes for it.

No, No, No.... Not gonna do it.
You know you just left yourself open for getting kidded, Right?...
And we are kidding most of the time.....

New Years resolution was to try to be a nicer guy....running out of vices to Give Up

madmax
03-24-2017, 11:23 AM
I spend more time with my dog than my wife. But then Max doesn't work...

Rick
03-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Max has been grumbling about that. There is such a thing as spending too much time together. His words, not mine.