PDA

View Full Version : Robert Service's Canada

WolfVanZandt
02-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Ya'll wanna hear me sing?

My favorite poet is Robert Service, "The Poet Laureate of the Yukon." His poetry is so lyrical, it begs to be put to music, so back in the 70s, I did.

Robert Service's Canada (http://theriantimeline.com/Robert%20Service's%20Canada.mp3)

When I moved to Denver, I digitized all the media I cared about so I could get as much as I could into my van. I had a lot of original recordings on tape, so I bought a tape to mp3 converter and spent about a week digitizing stuff.

I've been through two gospel groups and several church choirs. Being a bass baritone and being shoved into tenor positions, I have completely sung out. These days, I can't make it through a church service without my vocal cords cramping up. So, all my singing career (I use the term sarcastically) is now history.

Have you ever been nostalgic for somewhere you've never been? Service's poetry does that to me - especially now that the Rockies are just 10 miles down the road.

Rick
02-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Oh, you bet. The Cremation of Sam McGee is one of my favorites. What a hoot of poem!

hunter63
02-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Man, that's shaking the memory tree.....Thanks for bring it up.

WolfVanZandt
02-12-2017, 01:15 AM
I've heard so many Southerners gripe about little cold snaps, I could esily believe the Sam McGee yarn!