PDA

View Full Version : How are the states different when tenting?

thelackof
02-04-2017, 08:29 PM
I have walked among woods in several states but I actually packed up and moved into the woods outside of a city in central Virginia.
and I have also gone off trail in the Blue Ridge mountains and also in the rocky mountains.

When living in a tent with a sleeping bag in Virginia, the worst things to happen were 1. being woken by one bark toward my tent from about 20 or so feet away and then silence, 2. a tramping from the woods to my tent and the sound of a dog sniffing my tent and then continuing on, 3. ticks and 4. people moving through the woods destroyed and raided my tent when I was out for only a short time.

The only two things that bothered me were the ticks and that event with the people but, I continued from summer and into the cold.

So... I plan to travel and tent in whatever states I end up in but want to know what the "night" life is like.

I read about people sleeping under the stars but then when I read into coyote's biting, there are several stories of people sleeping outside and a coyote biting onto their head.

and if I am southeast, I know there are alligators between several states.

If a bear comes up and sniffs my tent, and I have zero food with me, what is the chance of the bear becoming more curious and has this ever happened to you?

One guy in Virginia told me once that on his camping trip with friends in open tents, his female friend woke up the next morning with a skunk cuddled next to her.

I plan on tenting from the East Coast to say Texas and to southern California, through Arizona.

I almost accidentally stepped on a massive bull snake in Colorado once but the snake minded it's own business once I backed away.
I have walked up and sat with skunks while they did their own thing and they didn't seem to mind me.
I have been sitting outside in the dark in Virginia when a large red fox walked about 10 feet from me, looked at me and continued walking into the dark.

I read that there are scorpions in Colorado Springs but never encountered them.

So what am I looking at as I go west?
What are things that I should know about and/or be concerned/on guard about?

While tenting in Virginia, this specific insect started poking holes into one of my tents each night.

Random things.

I backpack in wild spots away from people. No camping sites.

Thanks!

hunter63
02-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome...From Wisconsin.

There is an intro section to say Hello at:
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?14-Introductions

Seems like you already had more experiences than I have ......
But I would have to say you may have to watch out for irate land owners along the way.

rebel
02-05-2017, 01:28 AM
Trail heads seem to have a lot of criminal activity.
Snakes will leave you alone if you give them space. Water moccasin are more aggressive.
I've had critters come around at night but they are looking for an easy meal.

madmax
02-05-2017, 08:12 AM
If you're on foot you're going to be doing a lot of illegal camping. I couldn't sleep well doing that. If in a vehicle allow for those pesky fees. We've paid 45 bucks for a tent site in the Keys. Or arrange for someone to hold bail money for you when you get busted trespassing.

I sleep under the stars all the time in the south. I don't like mountain lions or grizzlies out west. But people are what you need to look out for.

Rick
02-05-2017, 08:20 PM
There is really only one kind of person you have to look out for. I've only seen 'em in pictures so I've been pretty lucky. Easy to spot. Always wears his t-shirt on his head and holds rituals to the fire on a stick god.

1stimestar
02-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Lots of scorpions in Texas and Oklahoma as well. More then in Colorado. Also, chiggers! If you thought ticks were bad...

kyratshooter
02-05-2017, 10:15 PM
I hope this one is another drive by.

It might just be due to what I am watching on TV but the OP would make a real good X-Files episode.

hunter63
02-05-2017, 10:22 PM
That has been coming on again....from time to time....

Enjoyed the early years of that program.