PDA

View Full Version : Bugout bags and pain meds.

Sam Reeves
05-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I've been looking into what goes in other folks bugout bags. I understand that every bag is for a different situation but I never see pain meds included. Why?

Ken
05-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Sam, here's what I try to keep on hand. Make sure you know how to use the stuff.

See Post #9 http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2826

This is also a good info site.

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/psychoactives.shtml

crashdive123
05-17-2008, 09:21 AM
When you say pain meds are you referring to typical OTC stuff like aspirin, motrin, etc. or something stronger.

Rick
05-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Sam - Most of us maintain a first aid kit as an adjunct to the BOB. That's where you'll find the pain killers. If you do a search on them, you'll see that type of stuff lists.

Here's a recent one:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2826&highlight=first+kits

Sam Reeves
05-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks, guys. I guess I need to figure out how to use the search function a little better.

Sam Reeves
05-17-2008, 09:49 AM
When you say pain meds are you referring to typical OTC stuff like aspirin, motrin, etc. or something stronger.

Both. In my I have five Fentanyl patches, half a bottle of oxycotton, 12 percocets and a bottle of hydrocodone (all prescribed to me).

Ironically the best thing for a toothache I have found is Ibuprofen.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Ummm....in an extreme situation are you sure you'll be able to function with fentanyl, oxycontin, percocet, and hydrocodone?????? Don't give it to anyone else. You never know how they'll react to it.

klkak
05-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Ummm....in an extreme situation are you sure you'll be able to function with fentanyl, oxycontin, percocet, and hydrocodone?????? Don't give it to anyone else. You never know how they'll react to it.

Start taking one of each every day. As you get used to functioning on them slowly increase the dosage. That way if you are in the woods and have a horrible accident you will be able to function on the meds.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-17-2008, 01:57 PM
I agree that it's fine to have "pain meds" but to stockpile them?? Then suddenly begin taking them if something were to happen and cause you pain?? I'm sorry. Having worked in emergency medical environments I don't think it's wise. My opinion so that's all it's worth. ;)

tacmedic
05-17-2008, 02:54 PM
My main concern with having meds like these around in a SHTF scenario is the potential for theft once people realize that you have them. The biggest growing drug addiction in the US right now is the addiction to prescription pain meds, and the addiction is just as strong as for street drugs. Especially with things like fentanyl and oxycontin which are very powerful opiate/narcotics.

On the other hand; if you have an injury or a medical situation that requires such items on a daily basis to function, then that is a different story and it would be wise to have them. Just my $.02. (actually it may be worth less than that if you figure in the current inflation rate.)

Rick
05-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Sam - Just my .02 here. I don't see anything wrong with having any of those meds as long as 1. Your Dr. prescribed them (which he did) 2. You understand their side effects and contra indications (assume you talked to your Dr.) and 3. They are safeguarded per Tacmedic's concerns. I carry Ultram with my Dr.'s knowledge but never more than a few. That's true if I'm in the woods or traveling for the week-end.

My doc told me it's pretty common for some patient to call and say someone stole a bottle of Oxy out of my car. He said the first question he asks is what the he** were you doing with the bottle in the car?

So the bulk of mine stay at home. It's reassuring to know that if something bad happens I have the ability to ease the pain until help arrives. And let's face it, if my femur is shattered I'm not going to be too keen about finding shelter or water or fire. I'm going to be concerned that my leg is about to fall off and I'm going into shock from the pain.

beerrunner13
05-17-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree with ya on this one Rick I have pain meds and anti biotics I got from my DR and keep a few in my kit I f I had to bug out they would all go with me just like my BP meds.

As for the theft thing 1 I don't see anyone I don't know and trust knowing what is in my BOB

and 2 the only way someone is stealing my pack is if I am dead and out of ammo, but then some here would not have me armed in the first place.

Ken
05-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Why keep them on hand? Repeat after me: K I D N E Y S T O N E S.

klkak
05-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Why keep them on hand? Repeat after me: K I D N E Y S T O N E S.

Ken, I am with you on this. I Keep a bottle of Oxycodone on hand all the time. I have never felt anything as bad as passing a Kidney stone. I don't really remember to much about the pain I was in from the broken leg. But if it was worse then the kidney stones it was not by much.

Ken
05-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Ken, I am with you on this. I Keep a bottle of Oxycodone on hand all the time. I have never felt anything as bad as passing a Kidney stone. I don't really remember to much about the pain I was in from the broken leg. But if it was worse then the kidney stones it was not by much.

Klkak, I had one (1.4 cm) that kicked my butt for 4 months. Demerol was the only thing that allowed me to function. Out of about 50 stones over the years, it was the only one I didn't pass within about 48 hours of getting hit with the pain. Because of it's location, Doc couldn't blast it 'till it moved. The meds don't get you "stoned" and the "need" goes away as soon as the stone passes. I compare the pain as like getting stabbed non-stop in the back with a twisting white-hot barbeque fork while getting slammed with a 10 lb. sledge at the same time. You feel a tingle and within 20 minutes the pain is a 10 out of 10. Last time was 2 years ago (knock on wood) but I always have pain meds within arms reach.

Good news: Magnesium supplements can PREVENT them.:D

"Natural Calm" www.petergillham.com

klkak
05-17-2008, 10:45 PM
I passed one about 4 months ago that was 7mm. I agree with your description of the pain. It is amazing how fast the pain stops after the stone passes. I can't use morphine so if I go to the hospital it's straight to an I.V. and fentanyl injections until I pass it.

Ken
05-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Klkak,

I went to the hospital about 10 years ago, only because I had no Demerol to ride it out with. Ran out months before during an earlier stone attack and didn't get a new script. ER Doc wouldn't give me anything for pain (even though my hospital record showed a history of stones) because the idiot wasn't sure it was a stone (I told him I had at least 35 prior attacks) and he wanted to make sure I wasn't a drug abuser faking to get some drugs. Good thing I couldn't move at the time or I'd be serving life for killing the Bas-Turd.

Read the literature on Magnesium. Very good Tufts Medical School research on the subject.

Good luck, brother.

beerrunner13
05-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Who would not want to see you armed Beerunner? While I disagree with guns in certain situations and locations.. my argument was not that I would want to disarm you. I am only making this response because I had posted a statement about it in another thread. I have my opinion, you have yours, I didn't single you out but it sounds like you are singling me out because of my opinion, which isn't even directed at you. Are you creating slams on this forum?

Don't see where I mentioned any names there sport, so it looks like it is you that is trying to get something stirred up, go back to your little dream world and leave me out of your problems. OK/

Ken
05-17-2008, 11:31 PM
C'mon, folks. We're here to help each other survive from the Bas-Turds in the OUTSIDE WORLD! Let's show some love:D

Sam Reeves
05-17-2008, 11:35 PM

Yes, but I see your point. I wouldn't want to be in a bad situation and have a bad reaction to meds. These are all meds that I am personally familiar with. Fentanyl is a strange drug. It is 30-50 times more potent than morphine but it is not a euphoric drug so it does not get you stoned it just relieves the pain. The downside to Fentanly is that it is very slow acting so one would need something for "breakthru" pain.

One thing I do know is that I function better with pain relievers than I do with extreme pain. I also carry muscle relaxers.

You never know when you are going to hurt your back or worse.

beerrunner13
05-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I agree with ya Sam I carry diffrent meds then you, but they came from my Dr and are meds I have taken. I too have enough brains not to take something I was not experinced with. There will always be nay sayers who think they know better then the person who is doing what he's doing.While some of it is meant to be and is helpful there are others who think thier way is the only way becuse they are so much smarter.

Ken
05-18-2008, 12:00 AM
One thought. Carry a copy of the Doc's prescription with you if you carry the med out of its original pharmacy container. All you need is just one cop creating a reason to search you or your vehicle, finding your meds, and locking you up for possession of narcotics without a prescription.

beerrunner13
05-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Very good suggestion Ken when I travel I always have my original bottle with me, In the woods not so much, but we don't see to many cops, but you are right and I do have to drive to the woods.

Sam Reeves
05-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I agree with ya Sam I carry different meds then you, but they came from my Dr and are meds I have taken. I too have enough brains not to take something I was not experinced with. There will always be nay sayers who think they know better then the person who is doing what he's doing.While some of it is meant to be and is helpful there are others who think thier way is the only way because they are so much smarter.
Yeah, it not as if I was suggesting ways to make your own morphine or something about horse tranquilizers. Personally I hate pain meds. If I am eating them it means I am in pain but I wouldn't want to be without them if I needed them.

Sam Reeves
05-18-2008, 01:03 AM
One thought. Carry a copy of the Doc's prescription with you if you carry the med out of its original pharmacy container. All you need is just one cop creating a reason to search you or your vehicle, finding your meds, and locking you up for possession of narcotics without a prescription.Yeah, those pesky bottles take up alot of space in yer BOB. Another point to keep in mind is that you are only allowed to carry the meds in the bottle that the meds are labeled for. No percocets in the Oxycotton bottle but you can put non pharmaceuticals in the bottle with the meds. If I am not mistaken I topped off my percocets with fishing supplies and my Fentanyl patches, which comes in a box, with medical supplies. I think my Ibuprofen is topped off with multivitamins. I'm too lazy to drag all of this out to be sure. :)

Ken
05-18-2008, 01:07 AM
I wrap my meds in foil with tiny labels taped over. Stops the things from breaking up as they rattle around in your pack.

Rick
05-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Here's a pic of my med pack. It's one of those day dispensers. I picked up one that had the number of compartments and sized to my needs then taped the name of the med on the top door of the compartment. I don't carry the scripts with me but I have the name of my Dr. and his phone number taped to the bottom. If some enforcement officer has any questions, he can call.

Rick
05-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Here is some information that Adventure Doc posted in an earlier thread. You can find it in posts 9 and 13 at

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=17077#post17077

For the sake of brevity, I've copied only parts of it. You can view the entire discussion by clicking on the link above.

"...The use of antibiotics in a survival scenario is an important consideration. The length of time one must survive alone or in a remote environment, without definitive medical care, is key. Antibiotics would become a factor if one has an infection or an exposure that warrants antibiotics (animal bite, dirty wound, parasite, etc.).

I think carrying antibiotics in a survival kit is a prudent idea. Good broad spectrum antibiotics such as a quinolone (Cipro) for GI problems or something for skin wounds (clindamycin, cephalexin, etc) is a wise idea. I'd more consider it as a first aid kit item versus a survival kit item. I'd be more inclined to go with pain killers than antibiotics.

Cipro is ciprofloxacin, a flouroquinolone medication, available in the US only by prescription. I'd ask my family doc for a script of a few days course, tell him/her it was for a back-country survival kit and they should totally understand. I frequently write scripts for these types of meds for people to place in their travel health kits, for vacations.

I think neosporin is a fantastic cream and a lifesaver. There are a few other creams that I have in a larger health kit, including an OTC cortisone cream for itch/reactions/rashes and a OTC anti-fungal.

As for pain killers, I generally advise a combo of aspirin, motrin and something a bit "heftier". Aspirin has a double benefit of working well in chest pain scenarios, as a medicine for acute heart attack. Motrin is a great pain reliever (analgesic) and a fantastic anti-inflammatory agent. It is one of my mainstays. A low-grade narcotic is another consideration, for injuries such as broken legs, limbs, etc. A few (4) Vicodin (tylenol and codine) are also in my kit. Just enough to take the edge off, for about 12-24 hours. It makes waiting for help a little easier.

Of course, I feel that if anybody carries a medicine, they need to know when to use it and when not to. For example, don't give aspirin to children for fear of Reye's syndrome. I guess it all comes back to being as familiar and proficient with your gear as you possibly can be. It doesn't matter what the item is: antibiotic, compass, shelter, fire starting eqpt, when you need to use one of these items, it is not the right time to learn how to use it.

As for allergy problems, antihistamines are the ticket. Providing there is not a life threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis)..."

Rick
05-18-2008, 06:54 PM
One thing that I think is worth mentioning here. Expired medications should never be flushed down the toilet to dispose of them. Things like antibiotics, painkillers, estrogen, anti-depressants and blood pressure medicines are already showing up in our waterways.

Trash is better than the sewer but you need to take precautions so animals and children don't come in contact. Break up capsules and crush pills. Put the remains back in their original container, close it with a child-resistant cap, tape it and double bag it before disgarding.

If your community has a hazardous waste disposal site (where you drop off used motor oil and batteries) see if they accept expired medicines.

You can also ask your pharmacy if it will take back expired drugs (that's pretty common in Canada and Australia). Typically, the pharmacy will either incinerate or otherwise dispose of the inventory they can't sell as well as consumers' leftover medicines.