PDA

View Full Version : making jam...

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-17-2008, 01:36 AM
ok, i just read through all six pages, nothing on the how-to jam topic. i know i could google it, but you guys seem so freakin knowledgable with this stuff, i thought i'd try here first. i live not five blocks from a store, but i'd still like to try it. is it a huge pain in the ***?

Alpine_Sapper
05-17-2008, 01:38 AM
ok, i just read through all six pages, nothing on the how-to jam topic. i know i could google it, but you guys seem so freakin knowledgable with this stuff, i thought i'd try here first. i live not five blocks from a store, but i'd still like to try it. is it a huge pain in the ***?

This one isn't. Easy as you could possibly want.

http://wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2451&highlight=scotch+bonnet

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-17-2008, 01:40 AM
This one isn't. Easy as you could possibly want.

http://wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2451&highlight=scotch+bonnet

that looks friggin delicious! does one go about it the same way with straight fruit, say, blackberries?

Alpine_Sapper
05-17-2008, 01:49 AM
that looks friggin delicious! does one go about it the same way with straight fruit, say, blackberries?

It's slightly more involved with fruit, but not to bad. I've got some recipes for peach-rosemary and a blackberry with something, but I can't find them at the moment. Been a while since I've made them.I'm in the process of migrating several workstations on my network and I'm not sure which hard drive they were stored on. They haven't made it into my database yet. Give me a day or two and I'll dig them up for you. In the meantime, hopefully someone else will have some info as well.

Ken
05-17-2008, 01:53 AM
This looks like yet another mission on the horizon for the Quality Control Department!

Alpine_Sapper
05-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Here's the recipe for the peach-rosemary jam (found the website I pulled it from):

Ingredients

4 cups peeled and chopped fresh peaches or nectarines
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 rosemary sprigs
1 (1.75-ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
5 cups sugar
Preparation
Bring first 5 ingredients to a full rolling boil in a Dutch oven. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sugar to peach mixture, and bring to a full rolling boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Remove and discard rosemary sprigs; skim off any foam.

Pour hot mixture immediately into hot, sterilized jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.

Here's a link to a really simple blackberry jam:

http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/archives/001085.html

You can adjust the recipe as you see fit. I personally don't care one way or the other for splenda after living off of MRE's, but TDW has this thing about aftertastes. :) Making that I'd go with regular sugar (splenda is used as a 1:1 substitute for refined white sugar) and just not cook it as long.

Alpine_Sapper
05-17-2008, 02:02 AM
HIGH SCORE! YOU HAVE QUALIFIED FOR THE BONUS ROUND!

I found this while looking for the jam recipes. A little off topic, but figured I'd share anyway:

Blackberry Salsa - For Ice Cream
Ingredients

* 2 chipotle peppers, dried
* 6 serrano peppers, finely diced
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon ground oregano
* 1/2 cup water
* 12 ounces blackberries, fresh or frozen
* 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
* 2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Directions

1. Place chipotles in a saucepan.
2. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
3. Cover and boil until tender about 15 minutes.
4. Drain.
5. Set aside to cool.
6. Finely dice chipotles and combine with serranos, sugars, salt, cinnamon, oregano and water in a medium saucepan.
7. Bring mixture to a low boil.
8. Cook until thickened slightly about 7 or 8 minutes stirring frequently.
9. Add blackberries and cook until they start to break up but not disintegrate.
10. You want the salsa to have a chunky texture.
11. Remove mixture from heat and stir in chocolate syrup and pecans.
12. Chill thoroughly, and serve over ice cream.

I'll be testing this next weekend. :D

tacmedic
05-17-2008, 02:35 AM
Someone recently posted a link for the center for home food preservation. They have numerous recipes on their site for jams and jellies. I have made strawberry jam and triple berry jam many times with the recipes from their site with great success. One thing I will say though, I have had no luck using liquid pectin. It just doesn't seem to gel right. Using powdered pectin always seems to work, and I have never had much of a problem with foaming with it.

crashdive123
05-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Here’s the thread that Rick started http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2039 an here’s the link to jams. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_jelly.html

Rick
05-17-2008, 07:46 AM
LTLG - Pectin is the stuff that is used as a jelling agent for jams and jellies. Most fruit requires the addition of pectin to make it jell but some fruits, like currants, have enough naturally that pectin doesn't have to be added. Look through the threads that have been posted and let us know if you have any questions.

Alpine - I would have never thought about salsa for ice cream! It looks great and I love blackberries. Thanks.

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Here's the recipe for the peach-rosemary jam (found the website I pulled it from):

Ingredients

4 cups peeled and chopped fresh peaches or nectarines
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 rosemary sprigs
1 (1.75-ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
5 cups sugar
Preparation
Bring first 5 ingredients to a full rolling boil in a Dutch oven. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sugar to peach mixture, and bring to a full rolling boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Remove and discard rosemary sprigs; skim off any foam.

Pour hot mixture immediately into hot, sterilized jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.

Here's a link to a really simple blackberry jam:

http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/archives/001085.html

You can adjust the recipe as you see fit. I personally don't care one way or the other for splenda after living off of MRE's, but TDW has this thing about aftertastes. :) Making that I'd go with regular sugar (splenda is used as a 1:1 substitute for refined white sugar) and just not cook it as long.

thanks alpine!