PDA

View Full Version : Well its winter driving again a refresher for Nubies..... and everyone else

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2016, 08:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoxxREdmj_4

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2016, 08:34 PM
What would you add to his kit or take away?

By the way this actually happened to me and I decided to hike it out 4 miles.

kyratshooter
12-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Sleeping bag.at least zero rated.

Insulated rubber high top boots.

Big tin can and big candle to light and set in the can.

I volunteer to keep the girl at minute 4:00 warm. I have extra socks.

hunter63
12-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Sleeping bag.at least zero rated.

Insulated rubber high top boots.

Big tin can and big candle to light and set in the can.

I volunteer to keep the girl at minute 4:00 warm. I have extra socks.

Psssst....Too skinny.....
Didn't see a container for melting snow of boiling water.....May have been one there...?

That why I like the USGI canteen, cup, stove, cover with small pouch for water tabs or another Bic.

Shovel, axe, ........

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2016, 10:46 PM
keep it coming
good ideas.

hunter63
12-08-2016, 11:14 PM
What would you add to his kit or take away?

By the way this actually happened to me and I decided to hike it out 4 miles.

I have as well....but we knew where we were going, and how far.....still was the coldest nite that year....rolled a car....walked to my buddy's house.

We went to bed .....figuring we would deal with it in the morning.

W didn't think about the guy that found the car rolled over...no one there...he went to the Sheriff's office...no cell phones back then.
Sheriff called my buddies house...hos mom looked out...no car...she didn't think to look in his room.
So the fun begin.....

Couple of hours later all was reveled....and after a butt chewing....was off to school with the job or rescuing the car the next day.

The narrative was just to say....If you leave the vehicle...not phone service/GPS....leave a note.... or arrow of which way you went, your condition...and what time you left.

BTW the radio knobs are on the wrong side when you are upside down

kyratshooter
12-09-2016, 05:43 PM
keep it coming
good ideas.

I go overboard with the kits in the vehicles. I do not have to carry it and I am the only one riding in the vehicle so there is no one to protest over the filled cargo area.

I have way more than the guy in the You-tube, much of it specific to my area, as anything on another person's kit would be specific to theirs. One item I keep is a candle stove to warm the vehicle and heat water, along with a "regular" stove to blast liquids into submission for coffee, tea and instant soups.

Even here in KY it is not unusual for traffic to be stopped for 8-10 hours waiting for snowplows to clear and salt the roads. Anyone trapped between interstate exits is SOL.

Even though this happens every year people still jump into their vehicles, at below zero, wearing nothing but jeans and tee shirt because they are just going to be exposed to the cold between the vehicle and the building they are headed for.

When my late wife and I married I made it my mission to have the sons', DIL's, nieces and nephews properly equipped in their vehicles. The girls considered their gift of a survival kit, when they got their DL, one of the family rites of passage.

alaskabushman
12-09-2016, 08:28 PM
I feel like I'm qualified to talk about winter driving, not because I live in Alaska, because there are lots of terrible driver here just as anywhere, but because of my experience. I feel I should say I'm not a bad driver, I've never been pulled over or ticketed,

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/alaskalefty/December272008%20088_zpsam0prnyr.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/alaskalefty/media/December272008%20088_zpsam0prnyr.jpg.html)

My first truck right out of high school was totaled after going around an icy corner that was on a hill, and panicking as another car started coming up the hill. Hitting the brakes caused a lockup and uncontrolled skid down the hill and slamming into the car. One of my sisters was with me, and thankfully both of us had our safety belts on. I had a sore sternum for weeks after, but its better than a broken nose or brain jelly. I learned an important lesson that day; its better to steer out of a problem than to try and stop.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/alaskalefty/IMGP1332_zpsnzqoqr97.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/alaskalefty/media/IMGP1332_zpsnzqoqr97.jpg.html)

A year after I got married, we had our first kid and another on the way, so we sold the single cab diesel pickup in favor of a late 90's Cherokee. It was Christmas Eve and we were returning from a town run for groceries and propane. My community is about 60 miles from the grocery store and half of that was gravel at the time. I headed down an icy hill at about 6:00PM (total darkness that time of year) and about halfway down the hill I spotted ahead of me a truck n the ditch with the bed sticking out into the road. SLOWLY steering to the other side of the road to avoid the hazard and NOT hitting the brakes, I got caught in some fresh snow and it pulled me right off the edge into the ditch. Thankfully I was only going about 15 MPH, but I was as stuck as could be. 8 miles to go, ice covered roads, with a baby in the car and a pregnant woman. Leaving the gun with the wife in case of any seedy individuals lurking around late at night, I began walking. 1/2 a mile into my walk and the wolves started howling, maybe 20 feet of the road in the dark inky woods. Immediately I stopped and cut a sharp stick. I never saw them but heard them yipping, barking and howling nonstop for almost 2 miles. Eventually they lost interest in me and veered off into the unknown. I made the walk in 2 hours and stopped at the first house. In my community, everyone is willing to help each other and when I explained the situation they jumped up and we drove back the the scene were my wife was actually surprised to see me arrive so soon. We didn't worry about pulling out the vehicle till later, just transferring the baby and groceries.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/alaskalefty/IMGP1324_zpsx57lf1xf.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/alaskalefty/media/IMGP1324_zpsx57lf1xf.jpg.html)

Not long after than I was riding with a friend and hit another patch of sheer ice and since he only had chains on the front, we did a 180 degree spin and were sliding down the road backwards. We almost went into a VERY deep ditch, but slid past it just enough before piling into the gravel and snow, narrowly missing a tree just behind us.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/alaskalefty/20160110_124258_zpsi3fzqwcp.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/alaskalefty/media/20160110_124258_zpsi3fzqwcp.jpg.html)

This was last year. Literally across the road from the last one. My sister was coming to visit us (she lives in a different community) and hit yet another patch of sheer glazed ice and started a sideways slide. She went off the road at about 25MPH, rolled her truck two times before coming to a stop. she walked away from it, despite not having her seat belt on (don't worry, she got chewed out royally for that). The ice was so slick you couldn't even walk on it.

So I guess what I want to add to this conversation is please PAY ATTENTION while your out winter driving. I recommend that unless you really need to be somewhere, just stay home. These accidents I've experienced are nothing to what happens on a major highway. Being aware of your surroundings and road conditions, limiting driver distractions, and STAYING HOME if you can. Even going to work is not worth your life if roads are bad.

Some things I'd add to the list.
1) Tow Strap
2) Tire chains, learn how to put them on BEFORE you need them.
3) A gun, if traveling in a seedy area
4) Battery jumper pack, handy f nobody is around willing to jump your dead car.
5) 12 volt compressor (often attached to the jump pack), Fix-a-flat does not work well at all in cold weather.

Remember, ice and snow are great equalizers, it does not matter how many years of driving experience you have, you can still find yourself in an uncontrolled slide and slamming into the ditch. Lose the ego and admit that bad things can happen to even the best drivers. Driving slow may not be macho, but staying alive is!

Sorry for such a long post, but this subject hits close to home. :banana:

alaskabushman
12-09-2016, 08:37 PM
oops, somehow posted twice, I can't delete a post can I?

Rick
12-09-2016, 08:55 PM
No, but I can. I got it for you.

There just are no rules for ice except hang on. I've seen heavy equipment with tracks slide on ice. Once a vehicle breaks loose gravity is steering.

finallyME
12-12-2016, 12:56 AM
I just bought a mil-surplus e-tool to keep in the car. Much better than a normal snow shovel. Also, I didn't see road flares on his list. Road flares are great for starting fires.

fjrmurph
12-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Gas or fuel , in the winter time here I consider 1/2 a tank as empty. if somehow you get stranded it is always good have a reserve of gas in the tank !