PDA

View Full Version : Building Your Own Traps

tater03
02-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I have no clue on how you would build you own traps if you were ever lost in the woods? I was just wondering if anyone on here knows how to and can maybe direct me to some places online where you could learn how to do this? I think this would be a great thing to know how to do.

Chris
02-18-2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-2.php

The most important thing is having wire, twine, or some sort of cordage. The one that I think works the best is a simple noose if you can find a game trail. Also for really small game setting up a rock fall works.

Fish traps are also fairly easy to create and deploy (easy and in not-complex, but time consuming).

trick-r-treat
02-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I never even thought of that one - I think that one would probably take some research and lots of practice.

taiarain
02-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Very cool that you already had that, Chris. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I've never done any trapping before.

rt36crazyfists
02-18-2007, 11:05 PM
spring, or "twitch up"(i belive this site calls it) snares are very effective and pretty easy to make.

tater03
02-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Thank you, I will have to check these links out. I wonder if you didn't have twine though couldn't you use something in the wild in place of twine? Thanks again for the link.

taiarain
02-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Thank you, I will have to check these links out. I wonder if you didn't have twine though couldn't you use something in the wild in place of twine? Thanks again for the link.

Strong vines? Cut strips of clothing? Torn socks? Braided human hair? (Okay, I know not everyone has as much hair as I do...)

Tangent210
02-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Figure 4 deadfalls are probably the easiest (Just make sure not to hurt you hand while you make them) and work in most areas unlike some traps which require vines or some sort of rope (which you should have but in survival situations you don't always).

Here is a little information on them http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/traps/figure4/figure4.html

They can be tricky to set up so if you ever plan to use them make sure to practive making them when you're out in the wilderness in a non survival situation. They only require some sticks a rock and a tiny bit of bait. Perfect for catching rabbits and small game.

Bowcatz
02-23-2007, 04:47 AM
Pit traps are good, too. Just dig a deep hole with slanted sides (wider at the bottom) and cover the top with leaves spread out over a weak frame of twigs. Bait it and leave the area. Many a bear has been caught like this.

Minwaabi
02-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Also, pit traps are safer and easier to make than deadfalls. The only difference is that you don't put sharp sticks in the bottom. This has the added benefit of being much less likely to kill anyone trying to rescue you. (Wouldn't that be unfortunate).

Bowcatz
02-24-2007, 12:32 AM
It would have to be a bear or mountain lion kind of pit before I would put punjee (sp?) stakes into the bottom. I would dig it way off trails, too, so my rescuers wouldn't get my fresh meat, duh, uh, fall in. Oops.

LarryB
03-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanx for the great link to the figure 4 trap set-upTangent! Good photos and description makes it pretty easy to follow.:cool:

I've always carried about 10 feet of copper or soft brass wire coiled up in my back pocket so I can make a snare or two anywhere I go. Beats the snot outta trying to make twine and stuff.;)

lb

Symantic
03-07-2007, 01:45 AM
I captured my first rabbit today, i have about 80 miles of bush behind my house, and its perfect for practice.

i gatherd these long type weak tree things and made a box out of twine, the box was about 3 feet long, by 7 inches high/wide. And i put a snare made of twine in it so the animal would have to walk through it and get his head stuck.

I placed the trap where it looked like there was some sort of animal tunnel made in the brush.

I did bait the trap with about 1/8th of a carrot and i shredded it to produce more smell. I put it up around 4 PM and i checked the trap at about 7:30-8:00 pm and i had a rabbit. He wasent injured and i let him go.

So i guess bringing a carrot and twine with you is a good idea.

BSM
04-03-2007, 03:00 AM
There was a dirty old man who lived on the lake who would catch painted turtles (illegally) with turtle traps. He would take a milkjug and tie a high-pound test line around the handle. The other end would have a mean looking treble hook with a blue gill wrapped around it. Obviously, he'd occasionally catch things other than turtles, like Pike, and walleye, but mostly he caught turtles. He painted the jugs red, so when he went out in his row boat, he'd be able to see the jugs, snag em, and pull up the critter and kill it. Obviously, in the wild, you wouldn't have a boat, but if you did have some fishing line and hooks and a proper sealable plastic container, you could do something like this with another line tied to a tree on the shore to pull it in later.
BSM

lovegettinlost
05-02-2007, 10:14 PM
My personal favorites are deadfalls, and paiute deadfalls ( i think i butchered that spelling), they are simple and quite effectivce. What makes the traditional rock deadfall so nice, is that it only requires a few strong sticks, a knife/saw and a good sized rock. I have used this one for a couple of years, and it rarely lets me down, I have found the smaller the notches but the stronger the wood, the easier the trap can be strung, this means no stupid lucky rabbit, comes along, eats you bait adn then hops off without disturbing the trap. With a strong branch, and small notch, the trap is more easily sprung. Paiute deadfalls require a little more skill and time, also some cordage of some kind, low lb fishing line is my favorite, light weight, takes up little to no space, and hard to see by critters. My most resent favorite is the bow trap i found on this site, it is fairly difficult to make and requires patience, but it kills small game, and moderate sized game well, and also its quite fun to make and see it all come together and work, except when an occasional arrow fly into the air and the animals walks away.

I love to dig, as a kid I dug holes in my back yard, and sometimes a small tunnel. So I know that when trying to survive, digging a pitfall, getting sweaty, and wasting energy are the last things you want to do, plus if you kill something as big as a bear, then most likedly you will jsut waste most of the meat. So save yourself and any big game you need not kill in vain, and build a smaller trap, saves energy, and yourself.

likkle rabbit
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
hi im new here the reason my name is likkle rabbit is because im looking for ideas to catch a little rabbit in my back yard alive any ideas?

Go_army2
05-11-2007, 08:27 PM
does any one have a link to see a trap being set im haveing a problem trying to set one

marberry
05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
i love trapping, snares are my fav , iv made some pit traps but it ruins the skins. deadfalls crush the bones sometimes and makes it harder to clean. to cook it i make a reflector oven. box traps, walk in bird traps, Bee hive traps, bottle traps and entry tube traps are very usefull , walking birds are alot easier to catch because theyr feathers are soo stiff . trigger snares work alot beter if yu have the time to make em . if you must make a deadfall trap do it with a rock not a tree , trees fall unpredictibly. wooden spike traps work great also. if anyone wants more advice just msn me (marcraft@hotmail.com)