PDA

View Full Version : Some help for the New guy please

wicked-fast
05-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Im vaccuum packing food for a survival situtaion. And i have a question. I want to Vac pac some flour and want to know how to make some bread if i have no acess to Milk or Eggs since those are perishable.
Do you have any recepies for my situation.

Rick
05-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Dried milk and powdered eggs. Why not pack it over to the Introductions section and tells us a bit about yourself?

Alpine_Sapper
05-15-2008, 10:26 PM
yeast and water, little salt and some flour. no perishables required. olskool french bread.

Rick
05-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Or make some hard tack. There's a recipe on here for it. Or Navajo Fry Bread that's all dry ingredients, too.

Sourdough
05-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Or just buy Sailor Boy Pilot Bread.

Or Brown bread in a "CAN"

DOGMAN
05-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Or just buy Sailor Boy Pilot Bread.

Or Brown bread in a "CAN"

You know Pilot Bread isn't easily found in the lower 48. It's standard issue in AK, but rare down here in Montana

warman87
05-16-2008, 12:58 AM
most bread dosent require an egg or milk just fold the dough alot and make shure u dont burn it ive made buiscuits/frybread/pancackes all with just yeast flour and water
or you could buy that self-rising flour

Ken
05-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Bisquick. Wonderful stuff.

Alpine_Sapper
05-16-2008, 09:53 AM
most bread dosent require an egg or milk just fold the dough alot and make shure u dont burn it ive made buiscuits/frybread/pancackes all with just yeast flour and water
or you could buy that self-rising flour

Self rising flour isn't a substitute for yeast. It simply has baking powder and baking soda added in. I forget the exact measurments, but if you have all purpose flour you can make self-rising by adding those two ingredients. There's also different gluten levels to the flour, so while the recipe may call for self-rising and you make it with all purpose, don't expect it to have the same texture, and cake flour will definitley **** it up. Bread flour is the best to buy if you are going to be making bread with it, but all purpose is a good all around flour to stock. Bread flour also goes rancid faster. But there are tons of baking sites that can provide you a discourse on the different flour types, their uses, and shelf life. ;)

trax
05-16-2008, 03:11 PM
There's recipes on here for bannock and fry bread.