PDA

View Full Version : Never buy...

kyratshooter
11-24-2016, 01:35 AM
Survival rule number 1.:confused1:

Never buy mayonnaise at the Dollar Store!

I will never ever make that mistake again!

You would have thought I had drank water from a puddle in some African game trail.

madmax
11-24-2016, 05:38 AM
Man, we know the feeling. Instead of having Thanksgiving dinner with family, my wife and I are staying home recovering from something we ate. Can't put a finger on what it was but eating is the last thing we want to do today.

Get well soon.

Fixit
11-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Mayo is one of those items that is best when homemade .

hunter63
11-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Like an egg salad sandwich, out of a vending machine in the factory floor.... on a Monday in July..... after a week end of thunderstorms....that have knocked out the power a couple of times......

There is a fine line between a Hero and a Goat.

Get well soon.....

LowKey
11-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Mayo isn't much more than a dollar in a real grocery store anyway.

A lot of times it isn't the mayo that's bad. It's what you mix in it.

natertot
11-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Dollar store is good for a lot of things, other things not so much. Pretty much anything at the dollar store that contains eggs, dairy, or fish products I tend to stay away from. As another mentioned, it isn't that much more at a real grocery store and I don't like making excessive contributions to the porcelain alter.

kyratshooter
11-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Thing is that I have a dollar store just a couple of miles down the road and the Kroger is another 15 minutes and several more red lights down the road.

Looking back at the experience the trip might have been worth it.

Rick
11-24-2016, 06:33 PM
Red lights have become so much fun. There are an untold number of people that will sit through a red light, then a green light only coming back to the world just as the yellow light turns red then zip through still trying to finish that text. I have some confidence that the really busy intersections may become the next great gambling mecca. 10-3 on the blonde in the SUV not making it through.....

LowKey
11-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Natural selection in action.

cow_rancher
11-25-2016, 02:25 AM

You would have thought I had drank water from a puddle in some African game trail.

It wasn't the Mayo... I spent my misguided youth working in several high class restaurants, do you know where the Mayo is stored... in the plastic bag inside the cardboard box (5 gallons), stored under the food prep table, room temperature, I made lots of Thousand Island, and Ranch dressing with that Mayo.

Rancher

edr730
11-25-2016, 04:44 PM
My wife always gets that reaction when she drinks any fountain drink. I've seen others get the same reaction. Just one other possibility.

hunter63
11-25-2016, 05:20 PM
It wasn't the Mayo... I spent my misguided youth working in several high class restaurants, do you know where the Mayo is stored... in the plastic bag inside the cardboard box (5 gallons), stored under the food prep table, room temperature, I made lots of Thousand Island, and Ranch dressing with that Mayo.

Rancher

Worked on equipment in many restaurants...that are not that clean.... or have stuff not stored at proper temps......

I try not to think about it.
Oh, Yeah....ice machines can be nasty as well......
Had a Chinese restaurant....compressor failed on the walk-in freezer....guy didn't like our price on a replacement.
So I didn't fix it....

That was on Thursday....Sunday they had a "All you can eat"......I guess their pussy cats were thawing out......LOL

Solar Geek
11-26-2016, 12:33 PM
ANOTHER BAD MAYO: Never buy "organic mayo" from Trader Joe's. Great price, nice small size for little recipes. But the flavor (of fresh, just bought, expiration in 2017), is so OFF, I threw away the food! Still didn't figure out the issue, just thought my taste buds were off.

Made egg salad with it and even DH who will eat fried cardboard and love it if seasoned right (I love this man!) wouldn't eat it. We took a taste of the mayo and gagged. I had bought 3(!) just for little recipes as my normal Hellman's is bought in giant quantities but once you open that sucker you have to be feeding an army soon. Tossed them all.

hunter63
11-26-2016, 12:49 PM
We use mostly Miracle Whip...Lite.....Not sure it is real food or not, but with all sorts of dietary concerns......real mayo had too many flaws.
Guess we got use to it.....real mayo tastes "off " to me?????

Orbean
12-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Never eat sushi from a gas station

Rick
12-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Or out of the lake for that matter.

Wildthang
12-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Never eat raw chicken! I actually know a guy that got so drunk, when he came home he ate a raw chicken that was in the refrigerator! Dam near killed him!

crashdive123
12-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Here's another......

Never get so drunk that you think eating raw chicken is a good idea.

hunter63
12-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Never eat raw chicken! I actually know a guy that got so drunk, when he came home he ate a raw chicken that was in the refrigerator! Dam near killed him!

Hummmm..."I know a guy"....isn't that code for referring to yourself in the third person?

tundrabadger
12-05-2016, 04:06 PM
I once bought an egg salad sandwich from a cooler in a truckstop by the trans canada highway at roughly 1 in the morning. I was not a happy person the next morning. Never do that. Under normal circumstances I know better.

hunter63
12-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Like an egg salad sandwich, out of a vending machine in the factory floor.... on a Monday in July..... after a week end of thunderstorms....that have knocked out the power a couple of times......

There is a fine line between a Hero and a Goat.

Get well soon.....

I once bought an egg salad sandwich from a cooler in a truckstop by the trans canada highway at roughly 1 in the morning. I was not a happy person the next morning. Never do that. Under normal circumstances I know better.

You know of what I speak......LOL....
One of those ...."Someday you are gonna laugh.....(High rising terminal emoji)"

tundrabadger
12-05-2016, 04:25 PM
You know of what I speak......LOL....
One of those ...."Someday you are gonna laugh....."

Oh, I laugh. Ruefully. But that's with 15 years of perspective. And now, having just realized that I was in university 15 years ago, I am going to go do something really immature so I can feel less middle aged.

hunter63
12-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Oh, I laugh. Ruefully. But that's with 15 years of perspective. And now, having just realized that I was in university 15 years ago, I am going to go do something really immature so I can feel less middle aged.

That's why I added the "High rising terminal emoji"....because there isn't any yet....but is necessary when speaking with younger people.

kyratshooter
12-05-2016, 04:43 PM

University 15 years ago?

You are just a kid!

I graduated University while Nixon was still president! Not sure who was Canadian PM.

tundrabadger
12-05-2016, 04:47 PM
That's why I added the "High rising terminal emoji"....because there isn't any yet....but is necessary when speaking with younger people.

That way lies madness.

hunter63
12-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Was that before the War of 1812?

Rick
12-05-2016, 06:59 PM
15 years ago I was still old. (sigh).

finallyME
12-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Next spring I will hit my 10 year anniversary for getting my BS degree. (That BS sure does add effect) :) .

kyratshooter
12-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Next spring I will hit my 10 year anniversary for getting my BS degree. (That BS sure does add effect) :) .

Even the two year Associates Degree adds effect. It shows completion of a course of study and perseverance and is looked at with respect by employers where "two years of college" means you dropped out.

The greatest effect I noticed when I got my MA was the automatic 20% pay raise that went with it! The BS let me get my job, the MA made the job worth having.

80% of the teachers in the U.S. will leave the classroom after 5 years because they do not want to continue their educations. They will try to claim the MA is not worth the $$$ or the effort and that is BS. Most states allow teachers to go to grad school for free or at half tuition.

Grad school was one of the high points of my life.

Wildthang
12-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Hummmm..."I know a guy"....isn't that code for referring to yourself in the third person?

Hunter did I ever tell you that you have a big mouth!!! :smartass:

hunter63
12-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Hunter did I ever tell you that you have a big mouth!!! :smartass:

That has been brought up in the past, more than once.....LOL

hunter63
12-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Got an apprenticeship in the HVAC field.......and had just completed my Associate Degree (started in 1968 on and off)....so was able to straight to Journeyman.
$12 hr on Monday.... to $34 on Tuesday/$39 across the border in Il. ....as my Retirement job.

Yes the degree does make a difference.

Earlier on,....did a lot of hiring for a factory.
Pile of applications
First sort.... Vets
Second.... Relatives of employees (directive)
Third ....HS diploma...
Forth ... GED.....
I preferred GED's a bit more than HS diploma,... because it showed effort to return an complete things.....
Rather than being handed a diploma.
All others....
But,
Had many people that couldn't fill out a application...(sorry folks, no spell check back then).

Also had many people that couldn't speak English.....but if they got this far (from where ever)....they generally had something on the ball...and didn't want to go back.....

hunter63
12-12-2016, 04:50 PM
How did we get to jobs and degrees.....?????

Shopping tips.....besides Mayo from Dollar Store
Don't shop...
1) Hungry
2) Tired
3) Pi$$ed off
4) Drunk....Unless it's beer run.

kyratshooter
12-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Thankfully there is a Waffle House beside the Kroger.

I usually do not shop until forced too by absence of something I really want and I am usually hungry when I walk out the door.

I stop at the WH before dropping into Kroger. It's cheaper that way.

Antonyraison
12-13-2016, 02:59 AM

hahahah, I doubt our wild game trail waters are that bad :P

Tokwan
03-03-2017, 08:43 AM
My local medication for " I think I ate something wrong"is fresh coconut water...from the young coconuts, not the ripe ones.

Wildthang
03-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Never get so drunk that you start drinking your old beer in the beer can collection that has been on the shelf for 12 years! I knew a guy that did that, and yes Hunter I know what your thinkin............LOL

hunter63
03-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Still a Six Pac of "Billy Beer" around here some where.....

Wildthang
03-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Never.........Never, buy a screen door for a submarine!!! :smartass:

JohnLeePettimore
04-25-2017, 06:07 AM
Thing is that I have a dollar store just a couple of miles down the road and the Kroger is another 15 minutes and several more red lights down the road.

Looking back at the experience the trip might have been worth it.

Same here. Dollar General right down the road. Walmart 15 miles.

Thankfully there is a Waffle House beside the Kroger.

I usually do not shop until forced too by absence of something I really want and I am usually hungry when I walk out the door.

I stop at the WH before dropping into Kroger. It's cheaper that way.

I once heard a comedian describe the Waffle House as being like a rest room that serves pancakes.