PDA

View Full Version : Expedients: Duct tape, super glue etc.

Chicago Dan
05-12-2008, 10:11 AM
OK I guess this falls under making stuff work.

I know with time, money, desire etc. within my work room I could/should probably do it another better way but sometimes its "good enough".

What product do you reach for the most often?
Duct tape
Super glue
Wire
Silicone
etc

For me its Silicone.
I'm an unabashed silicone junkie.
This product has so many practical uses and combined with its durability, water resistance and cost it is what I use the most often. Of course application is the final determinant.

Currently my BTH 91' OLDS has three different applications.
1. Silicone is holding in a head light and keeping water from infiltrating.
2. Silicone and a piece of sheet aluminum is keeping water out of my trunk.
3. A bead of silicone around the warped and shrunk rear window gasket is keeping the rear window secure and keeping water out.

Yeah all three applications could have used Duct tape but not nearly as effectively.

I'm sure Rick can find a site similar to the Duct tape guys one that lists many useful hints for silicone. If not maybe I should start one.:D

And yes my BOB has a tube.

P.S.
I know my BTH rusted out 91’ Olds looks like a POS…and that’s just how I like it.
It is mechanically sound, looks bad, used to haul building supplies etc. and can be parked anywhere without fear of damage or theft. Priceless.
For those who have lived in a major city like Chicago you know what I mean.

dilligaf2u2
05-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a F100 that is an eye sore. It runs great and is very dependable. I take it places a 2 wheel drive is not suppose to go and comes back every time. The best part is it is paid for.

I keep Silicone in the pack and in the truck. There are times it is the only thng that will work.

Don

Mountaintrekker
05-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I find myself reaching for the superglue and duct tape the most often. Not a whole lot of moisture out where we are. I haven't been out on the rivers or lakes yet, when I do, I suspect more silicone usage. <end of report> :)

Rick
05-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Here you go Dan - a whole section on silicone uses....These folks are professionals. Please don't try this at home. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

bulrush
05-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I haven't found a brand of superglue that works yet. And I've even bought the expensive national brands too. I follow the instructions, use it on only materials listed, and it still doesn't work.

So I use epoxy. At least it works.

crashdive123
05-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Bulrush - are you trying to hang from a steel beam in your hard hat like the original commercials?????:D

Alpine_Sapper
05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I haven't found a brand of superglue that works yet. And I've even bought the expensive national brands too. I follow the instructions, use it on only materials listed, and it still doesn't work.

So I use epoxy. At least it works.

Gorilla Glue

RobertRogers
05-13-2008, 08:13 PM
wd40, but just those four letters are too short to post without the javascript police popping up.

Sam Reeves
05-13-2008, 08:38 PM
I guess I'll be the oddball again. If I can't weld it I'll put a pop rivet in it or screw it back together. Sometimes I screw it up to point that it can never be fixed again. :D :o

Rick
05-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Super glue is great for gluing flesh to flesh. Outstanding. I've managed to glue my thumb to my index finger any number of times. I think it's some Universal joke that Karma likes to play on me.

Any type of silicone is the berries. I love the way it continues to pour out of the tube after you lay the caulk gun down. Pretty little spirals that generally land on something important that should never touch silicon. Like the dog. Have you ever tried to get silicone out of the dog's hair.

Oh, and duct tape. Love the stuff. It sticks to itself so well you can't use it for anything. Except for the blanket on the water heater. No tape on earth sticks to whatever it's made out of.

Now...welding...where's that dog at?

Sam Reeves
05-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Now...welding...where's that dog at?

He'll bite you!!! :D:eek:

canid
05-13-2008, 11:50 PM
i use a lot of duct tape, bailing wire and epoxy/hardener.

modern expedients aside, when i'm near the beach, i love bull kelp. you can smoke it so that it's resistant to over-softening when it gets wet and it's an incredible lashing/cordage. it's even been used for halibut fishing line.

Rick
05-14-2008, 07:19 AM
You should see the bead that dog can lay down!!!:o

Canid - You have to control the line breaks on your posts. That "you can smoke it" threw me there for a minute. Say what?:D

crashdive123
05-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Another great product is two part moldable epoxy. Used to carry this stuff all of the time when out on the water. cut off a small section, knead it in your hands, press in place. Works really well as a patch or attaching things - even works under water. If you do alot of canoeing or kyaking it may come in handy.

Ken
05-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Did anyone mention zip-ties here? Yep, I keep some in my auto-kits and in my packs, including two 3-foot long ones. They add almost zero weight and take up no appreciable space at all.

Millions of uses and strong as hell. They work even better if you have Leatherman pliers to tighten them up.

Could even use them as handcuffs if Stony tried to take your gun away from you :mad: and you decided it would be fun to let him live a few more hours.

AKS
05-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Did anyone mention zip-ties here? Yep, I keep some in my auto-kits and in my packs, including two 3-foot long ones. They add almost zero weight and take up no appreciable space at all.

Millions of uses and strong as hell. They work even better if you have Leatherman pliers to tighten them up.

Could even use them as handcuffs if Stony tried to take your gun away from you :mad: and you decided it would be fun to let him live a few more hours.

Planning on trying out the old "hang-um from the ceiling with super glue" thing are you? Don't forget to put a bead inside and outside the hard hat since his hands will be zip-tied.

I normally like to use duct tape or silicone unless it is metal, then a little epoxy usually dose the trick since I don't have my own welder yet. Can't even count the number of times I have put a small rag on a cut (my injury or somebody elses) and held it in place with a little strip of duct tape. Presto...home made sticky bandage. Yea, I could use the one of the other two items instead, but epoxy is a little permanent for that application.:cool:

klkak
05-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Planning on trying out the old "hang-um from the ceiling with super glue" thing are you? Don't forget to put a bead inside and outside the hard hat since his hands will be zip-tied.

I normally like to use duct tape or silicone unless it is metal, then a little epoxy usually dose the trick since I don't have my own welder yet. Can't even count the number of times I have put a small rag on a cut (my injury or somebody else's) and held it in place with a little strip of duct tape. Presto...home made sticky bandage. Yea, I could use the one of the other two items instead, but epoxy is a little permanent for that application.:cool:

I'm glad you didn't splint my leg. Super glue, epoxy, silicone, zip ties. Thank God all we had was Duct tape.:D

trax
05-15-2008, 02:09 PM
You guys all know that duct tape is like the Force right? it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together... (it's an old one, but it seemed relevant)

Ken
05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
That's very philosophical, Trax!

Chicago Dan
05-15-2008, 02:57 PM
I really like zip ties but I have found limited use for them.
Yes they have some very nice characteristics (light wt., take up little space etc), but for anything important they always seam to fail(break/stretch) for me.
I acquired a major horde(couple thousand) when my grandfather died(no one else wanted them) and have used maybe 50 since then(7 yrs ago). I guess part of the problem is that although they have been stored in the house they are still deteriorating to a degree(reason for failure).

Ken
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Dan, get the commercial grade. The 3-footers will close to about 1/2 inch if necessary and are as strong as it gets.

canid
05-15-2008, 05:40 PM
also you can make epoxy putty by mixing the resin with a filler, synthetic or natural. even sawdust works.