PDA

View Full Version : Knot Question

Dane
07-24-2016, 09:55 PM
I was wondering if you guys have any idea what kind of knots this guy is using? I want test his system out but i want to make sure i get the knot right. Not that i'm going to use it in a dangerous place but I want to get it right. It's for a self belay system where you can retrieve your rope. The bigger rope has a stopper knot but i'm a little confused as to how to put the two ropes together. Here a bit more info on what i'm trying to achieve. soloalliance.blogspot.ca/2011_03_18_archive.html
Thank you!

hunter63
07-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....
In answer to your question....No.....

Even the blog you referred to isn't real clear on what it's called and how it is tied.....

Good luck.

Rick
07-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Had you considered just emailing the guy and asking him? His email is posted on his page.

Antonyraison
07-25-2016, 08:19 AM
to me it looks like taunt line hitch,
or 3 half hitches together
basically 3 half hitches together..https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/TautlineHitch-ABOK-1799.jpg

Fort fireman
07-25-2016, 08:46 AM
To me it looks like he took a section of rope. Made that section into a continuous loop via a double fisherman. Basically making it a giant prusik loop. Found his 3 anchors and hooked in his beaners. Then brought the 2 middle sections between the anchors and used an overhand knot to make his connection loop. Doing it this way he basically gave himself 3 anchor over just one. He could lose 2 legs and still have an anchor. Personally I would have used a figure 8 on a bite simply because we use that more in our rescue set ups so I know it better. Mind you I am no rope guru however.

Grizz123
07-25-2016, 09:18 AM
To me it looks like he took a section of rope. Made that section into a continuous loop via a double fisherman. Basically making it a giant prusik loop. Found his 3 anchors and hooked in his beaners. Then brought the 2 middle sections between the anchors and used an overhand knot to make his connection loop. Doing it this way he basically gave himself 3 anchor over just one. He could lose 2 legs and still have an anchor. Personally I would have used a figure 8 on a bite simply because we use that more in our rescue set ups so I know it better. Mind you I am no rope guru however.

Everything in your statement is Greek to me, is the a "knots for dummies" site?

EX121
07-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Check out animated knots by grog. I agree on the water knot loop. Basically 2 overhand knots,( the first knot used when tying your shoes) opposing each other, so that when pressure is applied they tighten on each other. It also could be a prussick knot, which also tightens when pressure is applied and can be slid along the larger rope when pressure is released.

hunter63
07-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Everything in your statement is Greek to me, is the a "knots for dummies" site?

I hear ya.....my specialties are the "Granny" and the "Snot ball"

That animated site is pretty cool............
http://www.animatedknots.com/splice/#ScrollPoint

Dane
07-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Hey guys thanks for the info. This setup is to make it possible to retrieve your rope if needed. I don't believe the knots are suppose to tighten to each other. The way this is setup is that if you take a fall, a stopper knot in the orange rope is suppose to stop the rope from sliding through the locked maillon (Quick Link) effectively stopping your fall. The blue rope is only there as a guideline to retrieve your rope. I know he usually uses a double fisherman knots to tie is loop system together but if you look at his loop rope setup in this picture it does look different than in the original one I posted, so i'm assuming he changed something but he gives very little info. I'm really intrigued because this guy has been solo alpine climbing for 47 years and he is still alive...so he must be doing something right. Rick, I didn't think of emailing him but i will now! Antonyraison i think you might be on to something!

Dane
07-25-2016, 08:07 PM
I emailed him and he actually replied. Heres what he said if anyones interested

This is my own variation of a Fishermans Bend consisting of two linking Stopperknots to join two sections rope of differing thickness together.The thinner rope is a simple section of static rope that gives extra rigidity to the springy climbing rope when abseiling,and enables the climbing rope to be pulled down after descent. Note the larger knot of the main climbing rope,made deliberately large so it cannot pass through the small Maillon taking the weight of the climber.
To keep things simple,you might find it easier to join the two ropes with a standard Fishermans Bend rather than mine (it works for me but is not standard as knots go).Just make the knot on the main descent rope part of the Fishermans Bend a good chunky one so it does not go through the Maillon,and test the entire system thoroughly before you use it! Hope this is of some help to you?
Best regards and good soloing,
Rob

hunter63
07-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the up date...sometime the simplest way is just that...The simplest way....ask the guy that use it.

Antonyraison
07-26-2016, 02:54 AM
heheh cool :) thanks for the clarification